Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2017 Bolt (Dec. 2016 build) in for recall N212342881 on Monday August 1, 2022. I made the appointment as soon as I got the notice in March of 2022. This was the earliest they could take it. They are only 2.5 miles from my house, so I didn't try another dealer.

Towards the end of the day I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying they still needed to charge it to 100% and run diagnostics and my car wouldn't be ready until sometime on Tuesday. This didn't seem out of line since he told me when I took it in that it probably wouldn't be ready until Tuesday.

Late in the afternoon on Tuesday, I got a text message saying that GM was having "software trouble right now that is going to prevent us from completing the repairs. They have advised us not to replace any batteries until software issue is resolved."

This morning I got a text from him saying they had not yet received an update from GM on the length of the delay.

I went back to the dealer and picked up my car which had not yet been touched.

Obviously when they told me they only needed to charge the battery and run some diagnostics they were not telling me the truth. I suspect the GM software issue is also a lie.

During my first couple weeks of ownership back in January of 2017, I had to take it to Fremont Chevrolet a few times to fix an infant motality issue with the rearview mirror display. It turned out their EV technician wasn't on duty for the first couple appointments. Fremont Chevrolet seems to have some honesty issues.

Has anybody else run into this alleged software issue when trying to get their battery replaced?

Ed

·
Registered
917 Posts
Probably put your battery in one of their lot cars so they could sell it and they are feeding you a line of bull.
call the 1800EVCHEVY as suggested.

Reactions: Elaine R

·
Registered
170 Posts
Given the problems many are having after the battery replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to this. They clearly have a software issue causing "reduced propulsion" problems. It probably needs to be addressed before new batteries are installed. I'm starting to think they have bigger problems than we know, and they're not sure how to fix them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took my 2017 Bolt (Dec. 2016 build) in for recall N212342881 on Monday August 1, 2022. I made the appointment as soon as I got the notice in March of 2022. This was the earliest they could take it. They are only 2.5 miles from my house, so I didn't try another dealer.

Towards the end of the day I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying they still needed to charge it to 100% and run diagnostics and my car wouldn't be ready until sometime on Tuesday. This didn't seem out of line since he told me when I took it in that it probably wouldn't be ready until Tuesday.

Late in the afternoon on Tuesday, I got a text message saying that GM was having "software trouble right now that is going to prevent us from completing the repairs. They have advised us not to replace any batteries until software issue is resolved."

This morning I got a text from him saying they had not yet received an update from GM on the length of the delay.

I went back to the dealer and picked up my car which had not yet been touched.

Obviously when they told me they only needed to charge the battery and run some diagnostics they were not telling me the truth. I suspect the GM software issue is also a lie.

During my first couple weeks of ownership back in January of 2017, I had to take it to Fremont Chevrolet a few times to fix an infant motality issue with the rearview mirror display. It turned out their EV technician wasn't on duty for the first couple appointments. Fremont Chevrolet seems to have some honesty issues.

Has anybody else run into this alleged software issue when trying to get their battery replaced?

Ed
I took my 2019 Bolt to the local dealer for a fan noise problem they could not duplicate. But they volunteered to do a free factory battery management software update that I approved. The next day, I got an engine fault saying the power was reduced. Also the AC no longer worked and it wouldn't charge over 30%. I took it back to the local dealer and after a day of analysis they called me and said they couldn't fix it and referred me to another dealer (the one that did my battery replacement). They assured me that what they did couldn't have caused the problem. I took it to the other dealer, who kept it for two weeks while they worked with GM to find a solution. The eventual fix was that they did a new software update and now it works again. They at least gave me a loaner, a 2018 Volt. A fun car and a remarkable piece of engineering, but I like my Bolt a lot better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Given the problems many are having after the battery replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to this. They clearly have a software issue causing "reduced propulsion" problems. It probably needs to be addressed before new batteries are installed. I'm starting to think they have bigger problems than we know, and they're not sure how to fix them.
I bet most of the problems are caused by dealers trying to take shortcuts and not following the procedures as they are written. My 2017’s battery was replaced in March and I have had no issues at all. I think if there was a software problem everyone that has a 2017 like the OP would be having problems since all 2017’s have the same software updates.

Reactions: Elaine R

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
No where in the battery replacement is there a requirement to charge to 100% that I know of. In fact the dealer is required to have a big resistor to bleed off power.

·
Registered
917 Posts
No where in the battery replacement is there a requirement to charge to 100% that I know of. In fact the dealer is required to have a big resistor to bleed off power.
Yes they are supposed to, to confirm that it will and the 80% limit was removed.
Font Material property Publication Paper Document

·
Registered
917 Posts
You are saying the NEW battery not the OLD battery.
I was assuming that the dealer started off with the charge.
This quote
“Towards the end of the day I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying they still needed to charge it to 100% and run diagnostics and my car wouldn't be ready until sometime on Tuesday.”
Seems to infer the swap was done and all they needed to do was charge to 100% and run the diagnostics. There would be no reason for the dealer to charge the old battery to 100% before doing the swap.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Probably put your battery in one of their lot cars so they could sell it and they are feeding you a line of bull.
call the 1800EVCHEVY as suggested.
I thought the batteries were tied to a particular VIN number before the dealers get them. Wondering what repercussions a new owner could face with a battery from another VIN.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I thought the batteries were tied to a particular VIN number before the dealers get them. Wondering what repercussions a new owner could face with a battery from another VIN.
That’s what I thought too, but others have said it was not true. Knowing how some dealers are I wouldn’t doubt some would try.

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This quote
“Towards the end of the day I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying they still needed to charge it to 100% and run diagnostics and my car wouldn't be ready until sometime on Tuesday.”
Seems to infer the swap was done and all they needed to do was charge to 100% and run the diagnostics. There would be no reason for the dealer to charge the old battery to 100% before doing the swap.
Yes, they certainly told me they swapped it and only needed to fully charge it and run diagnostics. I picked up the car today and they had done nothing to it. Obviously, they lied to me in their voicemail on Monday afternoon. I suspect the GM not allowing battery replacements story is also a lie.

I know they had problems with EV technicians staff in the past. While that was six and a half years ago, they might have problems again. This dealer is only a few miles from the Tesla factory. Maybe GM trains technicians and once trained, they go to Tesla.

I will call the EV concierge tomorrow to see if they can help. Maybe I can get them to allow me to switch to another dealer as remedy.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I inferred that it was halfway through based on two day turn around. My local dealer can seemingly do the entire process in a day. Then they give him next day to do other stuff. The title suggested not to replace any battery. Oh well.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
712 Posts
Definitely, call the concierge for help. They will intervene with the dealer. The dealer's people probably need some training...

My '17 was done in January. It took one day: dropped it off near closing time, picked it up late the following afternoon. No reduced power, no reduced charging limit (the old one had the limits from the interim software so range was about 180 max). Since then, it's just worked, with one transient p1e00 (came up, no effect on operation, waiting time on an appt to diagnose was a week, the next day it was gone, cancelled appt).

Dealer in Folsom originally had really long wait time for even an appointment. Said they only had storage space for 3 batteries so that's how many they were doing a week. Apparently somebody had a discussion with them, they found more storage space, and got better at doing the work. By the time I took mine in, they were doing 2 a day. Note that part of the procedure is a "relearn" step for the BMS since the new battery has higher capacity than the old one - presumably charging to 100% is part of that, and if it isn't done right there can be problems. Even with that, it took a couple of drive/charge cycles for the guess-o-meter to settle on the new numbers.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
It's quite possible that when they say "GM is having software trouble right now" that they're not referring to the software in the vehicle but rather some sort of issue in GM's server network that's preventing them from downloading the required software to the car. Or even some update of the software that they use in the shop to do that downloading.

It would be wise not to jump to any conclusions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts