Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a road trip from Fremont to Sacramento and back today. 209 miles round trip (about 190 on the interstate with cruise control set to 65mph), 52.2KWHr used. The gauge showed 34 miles left when I got home. I can confirm that 238 miles is within reason.

I preheated the car from the AC line before starting, but turned off the climate control for the trip. I used the seat heater and the steering wheel heater for the first 10 miles, but had to turn them off because I was too hot. It was about 40F during the trip there.

The state of charge gauge seem pretty accurate; at least as accurate as the fuel gauge in an ICE car. It seems to be linear.

The distance to empty gauge started out at 209 in the middle, but adjusted to the driving conditions pretty quickly. During most of the trip it was dropping one mile for each odometer mile. It changes color to orange at about 15% remaining.

I used Apple Car Play and the maps App. That integration is acceptable. I would prefer an easy way to switch between native apps (e.g. the energy display) and ACP apps. Maybe it would work better with ACP equivalents to the native apps. Receiving and responding to text messages using ACP worked well.

The main dash display is clearly visible with polarized sunglasses. The console display appeared washed out, but still visible.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks for the review of the trip, that was pretty thorough. Glad to see that the 238 is within reason during real world usage. How did you find the comfort of the seats during the long trip?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you find the comfort of the seats during the long trip?
Great! For me, but I'm the guy here who finds the seats to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned in 40+ years of owning cars.

I'm 6'4" and 215lbs. In case you want to buy me some new clothes, I wear 34" waist, 35" inseam pants, and 16" neck and 37" sleeve.

I have the seat all the way back and all the way up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Changing to orange @ 15% is good to know, I have not been that low yet.
I wonder does it change again (or flashes / beeps) at lower percentages as it approaches 0%, anyone know?

... It changes color to orange at about 15% remaining...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hard is it to switch from native apps to ACP apps? Do you need to disconnect ACP?
I think trying to find little buttons on a touch screen while driving at 65mph is difficult, but I also have lane keep assist, so all is good. Remember one second at 65mph is 95 feet.

While the ACP map app is displayed, you can touch the energy button to go directly to the native energy screen. You can also press the home button (physical button that is easy to find without taking your eyes off the road). From the home screen you can select any of the four apps you have configured there.

When you are in native mode, running an app or at the home screen, you can touch the little app button to bring up the native app icon menu. That button is quite small and requires taking your eyes off the road to find it. From the native app icon menu screen, touch the CarPlay button (another small button) to return to ACP.

Inside ACP, you can use voice commands to navigate. You can ask to have text messages read to you, but it won't describe pictures that are sent as attachments. When your workout buddy sends a picture of her 10 month old son, you have no idea of what's in the picture until all your other workout buddies respond saying how cute he is. You can compose text messages and respond too, but you can't honestly say how cute he is.

Ed

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing to orange @ 15% is good to know, I have not been that low yet.
I wonder does it change again (or flashes / beeps) at lower percentages as it approaches 0%, anyone know?
I didn't get there yesterday, but I did once before. The middle distance remaining number changes from a number two three letters, Low. It switched at about 10 miles remaining. That was after it went into power reduced mode (think Neighborhood Electric Vehicle NEV or golf cart). I was about 2 miles from home and got there fine. It was fully charged again the next morning.

Ed

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice report. I haven't had a good excuse to go that far. Longest trip so far was from Fremont, where I picked it up, to Berkeley, home. I am getting my Level 2 charger (made by ChargePoint) hooked up today. Actually if you are only traveling 30 miles a day, the Level 1 system works well enough overnight. But going electric, in for a dime, in for a dollar. Since I live at 900 ft, I am using Hilltop Reserve mode, which only charges to about 200 mile range.
Outside of the EV fan groups, the first question anyway asks what is the range. For many, even when they hear 228, they still worry about it.
Next up figure out PGE's complex rate structure for EV cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI: PGE's rates are easy, here is what I do, print it out, post on wall by charger another copy on under my desk phone .... then charge after 11pm any night I think I need a chart other times I look it up (very very seldom):D
Next up figure out PGE's complex rate structure for EV cars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good news. My wife and I want to go to Old Sac from North San Jose.
I am 1.5 miles from the i680 Washington Blvd interchange. I'm guessing you are about 10 miles further. That means 20 miles more than my 209.

The state of charge gauge is linear. If you are over half when you get there, you'll be able to get back without opportunity charging. Check the PlugShare app. There are lots of charging stations around there. They apparently allow ICE vehicles to park in those spots on weekends. There is a fast charge station at the AmTrak station.

I recommend Biba's restaurant at 28th and M. Its an I ncredible Italian restaurant. You will need a reservation, but well worth it.

Ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. I've been driving from Berkeley to Sacramento and back every few days and it is working out perfectly for me. I generally drive about highway speeds with the seat/steering wheel heaters on and occasional defog. The drive is about 160 miles round trip and I generally have between 55-65 miles left in the middle estimate when I get home.

As to the seat, I've had some back pain lately and I was worried it was the car. In time, it's become clear that my back is messed up from other things- my time in the car is actually painless and it does not aggravate the situation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
And if you think you need it on the way back, there are DC fast chargers in :

- Danville (off I-680) : 50 kW, ChargePoint, $0.30/kWh
- Fremont (off I-880) : 50 kW (2 chargers), ??Independent Network??, Credit Card swipe, Delta chargers : $4.50 per session
- Vacaville (off I-80) : 24 kW, ChargePoint, $0.25/kWh + 4c/min

and the DCFC already mentioned, Amtrak station in Sac, 50 kW, Greenlots network, ?24cents/kWh??

With a little research, you should be able to find reasonably priced (or possibly free) L2 charging around Sac as well, so you can park the car for a few hours and let it charge at 6.6Kw/hr (if you are regularly heading to Sac, it would be worth the time investment to look into it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts