Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to take the Bolt for skiing during winter if possible. Has anyone done this?

For the record, I average about 4.9 mil/kwh in 6700 miles of driving in the bay area. The other day, had to go to Carmichael which is 10-20 miles past Sacramento. Had to leave early morning, and son was cold, so used the heater sparingly. Even though started off full showing 273 miles of range, after the 108 mile trip, I had 115 miles showing as range for the drive back. Stopped in Davis (27 miles from Carmichael), when the range had dropped to about 88, and still had 94 to go home. Did about 10 minutes of charging @ 3 miles/minute to get the range up to about 119. Got home to Fremont with 38 miles of range still showing. So the 115 would have made it back with about 6-7 to spare, but way too close for comfort.

Anyway, I am thinking Truckee could be done with a stop in Auburn or Colfax for 30 minutes of charging on the way up. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Climbing to the top of that 7,000 ft summit in freezing weather - and getting out of the car while you recharge halfway up there - is going to be harder on you and the car than driving the flatlands to Carmichael. Doable, but I suggest a careful plan and a backup plan to make it effortless. Remember the Donner Party. :)

I see the forecast is for 0 degree F tonight, wind chill factor -11. You may need to run the heater full blast.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There are plenty of (non-EVgo) DCFCs on the way to Auburn (and a lot of EVgo ones every 15-25 miles up I-80 starting in Auburn - including two plugs in Truckee itself).

There are three Greenlots 50 kW DCFCs in Sacramento (one right off of I-5 at the Amtrak station), AND one in Citrus Heights (just N of Sac). (Sign up to Greenlots, install their app on your smartphone).

There's a (prob 24 kW) ChargePoint CFC in Roseville, at the Chevy dealership. (Call and ask if it is avail for "emergency use" for Bolt drivers).

If you are in somewhat of a pinch (not enough mileage to make it to the next two DCFC stations, in case the first one is full/broke) you can stop in Auburn, where there are quite a few FREE J1772 plugs near downtown - drop the family off at a restaurant, find an open spot, then walk back to the restaurant. An hour later you should have 25 more miles.

At any rate, I'd drive from Fremont to Sac, stop for 20-30 mins to add 60-90 miles at a Greenlots DCFC, then be on your way with no worries for the rest of the trip (and yet still a lot of EVgo DCFCs in you get in a pinch).

Also, there are a few J1772 spots in & around Truckee if you want "piece of mind" for the trip back, although you'll be generating electricity all the way back down the sierras - anything over 75 miles range should be more than enough to get back to Sacramento, especially if you can heat the car interior while it is plugged in to a J1772 before starting the trip downhill (the highest electrical draw for the heater is in the first 5-10 mins when it is in "blast heat" mode). Again, you have 4-5 EVgo DCFC locations for emergency use all the way down, free J1772 in Auburn, and then Greenlots as you approach Sac again (the Greenlots chargers are a LOT less expensive than the EVgo ones - remember to get an account well before the trip, and test it!).

For the trip home, theres a 50 kW DCFC in Danville off I-680 (ChargePoint) if you need 50 extra miles range for peace of mind.

Shouldn't be much of a sweat. It should be even easier once all the CEC-planned DCFCs get installed between Sac and Reno. (It's been a year since the plan and sites were announced - what's the holdup!!??!)

·
Registered
508 Posts
There are plenty of (non-EVgo) DCFCs on the way to Auburn (and a lot of EVgo ones every 15-25 miles up I-80 starting in Auburn - including two plugs in Truckee itself).

There are three Greenlots 50 kW DCFCs in Sacramento (one right off of I-5 at the Amtrak station), AND one in Citrus Heights (just N of Sac). (Sign up to Greenlots, install their app on your smartphone).

There's a (prob 24 kW) ChargePoint CFC in Roseville, at the Chevy dealership. (Call and ask if it is avail for "emergency use" for Bolt drivers).

If you are in somewhat of a pinch (not enough mileage to make it to the next two DCFC stations, in case the first one is full/broke) you can stop in Auburn, where there are quite a few FREE J1772 plugs near downtown - drop the family off at a restaurant, find an open spot, then walk back to the restaurant. An hour later you should have 25 more miles.

At any rate, I'd drive from Fremont to Sac, stop for 20-30 mins to add 60-90 miles at a Greenlots DCFC, then be on your way with no worries for the rest of the trip (and yet still a lot of EVgo DCFCs in you get in a pinch).

Also, there are a few J1772 spots in & around Truckee if you want "piece of mind" for the trip back, although you'll be generating electricity all the way back down the sierras - anything over 75 miles range should be more than enough to get back to Sacramento, especially if you can heat the car interior while it is plugged in to a J1772 before starting the trip downhill (the highest electrical draw for the heater is in the first 5-10 mins when it is in "blast heat" mode). Again, you have 4-5 EVgo DCFC locations for emergency use all the way down, free J1772 in Auburn, and then Greenlots as you approach Sac again (the Greenlots chargers are a LOT less expensive than the EVgo ones - remember to get an account well before the trip, and test it!).

For the trip home, theres a 50 kW DCFC in Danville off I-680 (ChargePoint) if you need 50 extra miles range for peace of mind.

Shouldn't be much of a sweat. It should be even easier once all the CEC-planned DCFCs get installed between Sac and Reno. (It's been a year since the plan and sites were announced - what's the holdup!!??!)
Many years ago, leaving Tahoe we got stuck in traffic for 9 hours, starting with a quarter tank of gas. It was stop and go at 1 or 2 miles per hour. Almost ran the sucker dry before we found a station with gas. The Bolt is more efficient at slow speeds, but if you were running the heater in traffic, I would want to have some extra kWhr in the battery, not to count on charging going down hill.
I am impressed with the detailed knowledge of charging stations available. I am planning to go from Berkeley to San Luis Obisbo in March (240 one way) and will need to know where the fast chargers are. Other than a free level 2 at the local multiplex, I have been charging at home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the detailed reply. My Davis stop a few weeks ago was at an EVgo. It all worked ok, but the cost was like 8 bucks for 10 minutes of charging ($4.95 for the session plus some .1/kwh or something); I am assuming that the Greenlots and Chargepointes are better in this regard. As another poster mentions, it's the 100 miles uphill in 30F temperature that is concerning; whether it can be done with a full charge from Sacramento onwards.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
plugshare app : locations, recent charge history (i.e., non-real-time status indicator), charging network affiliation, and pricing info.

They also have a web site. As already stated, drop into 'options' and select just the " CCS/SAE " connector (CHAdeMO and Tesla fast chargers aren't going to help you much).

https://www.plugshare.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts