Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was planning on purchasing a Bolt this weekend. I just checked out the range calculator on the Chevy site and it stated that I could not make the trip on a single charge. I commute from Fresno to San Jose once a week and stay over night with the ability to charge it in San Jose. It is a 155 miles from door to door. Is the calculator assuming round trip? With a theoretical range of 238 miles shouldn't I have no worries about making the trip?

I appreciate any input.

JT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, the calculator figures a round trip with no recharge at destination.

I am certain the Bolt can make it one way easily, but I would keep speeds down, and use as little climate control as possible, at least for the first time.

There is a DC charger a few miles east of Los Banos near I5, and another one in Salinas, in case things get tight.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The only DCFC I know of near Los Banos & I-5 is at the Best Western/Anderson's Inn, and it is CHAdeMO, not CCS. (Maybe it's been replaced with a dual-plug unit?) The charger in Salinas is a little bit too far south for a San Jose-Fresno trip. (Although the CCS charger in Salinas is free ...)

On the Other hand, there are two CCS chargers in Morgan Hill at the Holiday Inn, right off US-101 (ChargePoint, 24 kW). There are also two CCS DCFCs in Gilroy at the outlet mall next to 101 (near Abercrombie&Fitch store, EVgo, 50 kW).

Evgo can be expensive if used only rarely ($5 connect fee + 20c/min). The 24 kW DCFCs in MH are a straight 25c/kWh, with no fees (for the first 30 minutes - switch chargers if you need to charge for more than 29 minutes to avoid the 'parking fee').

If you are going to use EVgo more than twice a month, and pull more than 80 kWh/mo, you might consider the high-end subscription IF the chargers are conveniently located. Their $15/mo subscription plan has no DCFC connection fee, and only charge 10c/min. I hate EVgo with a passion, but they appear to be the only DCFC game in and around Fresno at the moment. If your electricity in San Jose is free, I'd grab that. If you'll have to pay for it, and your home electric cost is 15c/kWh or higher, EVgo might be cheaper overall than charging at home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are going to use EVgo more than twice a month, and pull more than 80 kWh/mo, you might consider the high-end subscription IF the chargers are conveniently located. Their $15/mo subscription plan has no DCFC connection fee, and only charge 10c/min. I hate EVgo with a passion, but they appear to be the only DCFC game in and around Fresno at the moment. If your electricity in San Jose is free, I'd grab that. If you'll have to pay for it, and your home electric cost is 15c/kWh or higher, EVgo might be cheaper overall than charging at home.
Just be aware that the monthly subscription plan is an annual commitment comes with a $29 cancellation fee, but this may still be worth it depending on how much and how often you charge, especially if you plan on taking a lot of long road trips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should be fine making this trip one-way without charging, unless the weather conditions are extreme. On days that I commute, I drive 160 miles round-trip and I usually have 60-70 miles of range leftover. I use seat and steering wheel heaters continuously and heat as needed (also in CA so not needed much) and drive about average of 68mph most of the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree. I got the top end plan and its 10c a minute for me, but you have to use it often.

I get to Fresno and back from Milpitas and still have 30% charge left...

but on a full AC load with everything on at night it will be 170 miles total if you keep it to 70 Mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts