Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We upgraded from our 2013 Volt last night.
Bought a 2020 Bolt EV Premier. Color Mosaic Black with all the bells and whistles as the saying goes.
I turned 60 and decided it was a nice birthday milestone to remember. Link to the pics and a video the dealership sent me here.

That’s my wife Tammy and best friend now for 40 years! We both like the ease of getting in and out compared to the Volt. Her parents are in their 80’s so it will be nice when we pick them up to not have a struggle to get them in/out of the vehicle too.

Our home has Tesla solar panels so we’ve been running on Az sunshine for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's awesome! Congratulations and happy birthday. I'm sure you're going to love the bolt and thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Nice, you gonna expand your solar too? What is the EV rate there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have more panels on the other side of the roof too. More than enough to pay for our extreme 110 degree summer days. We are happy with only having about 35 bucks a month bills in the summer and in December we got a -$1.85 bill. Our house is a small historic house built in 1930 and is just 810 square feet. Last I looked electricity cost in Phoenix Az here was 12 cents per kWh if I recall. I could be wrong. Everything in our home runs on sunshine. Our electric company is APS and they pay us back at full retail price on everything we make over what we use.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congratulations. We have been loving our Bolt in Tucson for over a year. ? Looked a the Volt but the seats were too low for my wife to easily get in and out of. Like you we love the higher seat position. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are enjoying it as we get familiar with the various settings and screen information details which are similar but definitely a step up from the 2013 Volt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to Bolt Ownership!

As an owner of a 2018 Volt and 2019 Bolt I found the Bolt lacking compared to the Volt infotainment. I especially like running the Weather Channel Radar app when driving long distance. I can do something like it in CarPlay with Waze and NOAA radar. But it is pretty wonky. Also the infotainment in the Volt seems more responsive. What do you think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to Bolt Ownership!

As an owner of a 2018 Volt and 2019 Bolt I found the Bolt lacking compared to the Volt infotainment. I especially like running the Weather Channel Radar app when driving long distance. I can do something like it in CarPlay with Waze and NOAA radar. But it is pretty wonky. Also the infotainment in the Volt seems more responsive. What do you think?
I haven’t had time yet to get very familiar with the infotainment system yet. I plug my iPhone in and it plays my Apple Music fine as well as the maps for guidance. That’s about all I do.

We’re really liking the 2020 Bolt and thought back to 1991 when we bought a brand new 3 cylinder manual shift Geo Metro with no radio or air conditioning.

29 years later we find we’re driving a space age computer in comparison. There were a lot of used cars we had in the past 29 years that got us by as we raised our 3 kids. We feel a bit spoiled with this purchase.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I also went from a Gen 1 Volt (2014) to the Bolt and haven't regretted it. It also helps that my solar system is paying for my miles too.

I admit the Bolt's infotainment system seems somewhat dated now. If GM actually used the Over The Air updates as they initially intended to- they could easily update the infotainment system daily if needed to keep it current. Unlike that one manufacturer who's cars literally "get smarter every day" GM is stuck in the legacy "the car shall stay the way it was when you bought it" mode :(

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
^ the frustrating thing is, GM built the ability to update the Bolt's infotainment system over the air into the Bolt from production car number one... but they have yet to use it. Meanwhile Tesla has pushed a zillion updates since 2017 making their cars "current" even thought they are 3+ yrs old.

·
Registered
15 Posts
GM built the ability to update the Bolt's infotainment system over the air into the Bolt from production car number one... but they have yet to use it.
I would imagine their argument would be "If we updated it, they won't buy a new car." My answer would be if they don't update it I may consider one that does update.

For now I'm happy with the Bolt. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts