Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just realized the blurry/snowy image from the front camera image was the result of an unfortunate rock hit.
The whole lens is cracked. Has anyone done any replacement of the front camera ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,

I just realized the blurry/snowy image from the front camera image was the result of an unfortunate rock hit.
The whole lens is cracked. Has anyone done any replacement of the front camera ?

Thanks!
or perhaps know how much a replacement cost would be at the dealer ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quick check at GM Parts Direct shows list price around $205 for the part (not sure if I got the right one: gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-front-camera )

Probably another $60 to $100 minimum for labor?

Maybe the front lens (plastic?) can be replaced / repaired separately? (probably not)

Quick look, kinda looks like if that top plastic cover comes off by just removing snap clips (the plastic tools really help for this) (I think you can see the back of the front camera from the top) it might just be a swap and plug the new one in (assuming the part is complete with lens and just fits in that front rubber grommet). Did not look closely enough to see what type of fasteners mount the front camera to the lower grill. The camera may also be included when you buy the lower grill part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick check at GM Parts Direct shows list price around $205 for the part (not sure if I got the right one: gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-front-camera )

Probably another $60 to $100 minimum for labor?

Maybe the front lens (plastic?) can be replaced / repaired separately? (probably not)

Quick look, kinda looks like if that top plastic cover comes off by just removing snap clips (the plastic tools really help for this) (I think you can see the back of the front camera from the top) it might just be a swap and plug the new one in (assuming the part is complete with lens and just fits in that front rubber grommet). Did not look closely enough to see what type of fasteners mount the front camera to the lower grill. The camera may also be included when you buy the lower grill part.
Thanks for the response. Looks like the front camera is on sale for $125. From what I can see inside the bumper, it's held by two hex screws and connected to a harness. Gotta love the simplified artistic rendering of parts on the site :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the response. Looks like the front camera is on sale for $125. From what I can see inside the bumper, it's held by two hex screws and connected to a harness. Gotta love the simplified artistic rendering of parts on the site :confused:
Everything is on sale all the time at gm parts direct. I used the higher price, because that is probably the price the dealer would would quote. Yea, it looks doable, but that's only an impression from a first quick look.

I guess if you don't mind two steps (unless someone else knows for sure), you could do a practice run to be sure the old one comes out easy, and confirm that the camera and lens are all one part (probably).

One bad surprise could be (unlikely) that the lens is glued into that lower front grill part. The only reason I say that is because it looks like the lower front grill comes with the camera installed. Probably not, but it would be awful to buy the new camera alone, only to realize that it can't be replaced DIY.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just asked at one of the parts sites (quirk), but they have to check with service tomorrow. Probably best to just Google some more on the related part numbers.

Or, even better, if you are handy, and have the appropriate tools, just unscrew or unsnap that front cover, and try to remove the original front camera. After the mounting screws are removed, does it just slide out of that front grommet? Just know when to stop if things are not coming apart with reasonable ease. Snap some pics too, both for us, and to help you remember where everything goes.

The fasteners and/or bolts or screws should be re-usable. I suppose ideally, once pulled, some of the plastic snap in fasteners should be replaced, but I usually end up just putting the originals back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just asked at one of the parts sites (quirk), but they have to check with service tomorrow. Probably best to just Google some more on the related part numbers. Or, even better, if you are handy, and have the appropriate tools, just unscrew or unsnap that front cover, and try to remove the old one. The fasteners and/or bolts or screws should be re-usable. I suppose ideally, some of the plastic snap in fasteners should be replaced, once pulled, but I usually end up just putting the originals back.
cool thx. reason I'm asking is that when I was trying to 'remove' the camera, I accidentally stripped one of the torx screws.
Also, while reinstall everything back together, I accidentally dropped one of the fasteners down into the engine bay, and I heard it hit bottom. .. ugh..
But nevertheless I confirmed that the camera can be detached from the bumper. The lens itself doesn't seem separable from the camera though.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
cool thx. reason I'm asking is that when I was trying to 'remove' the camera, I accidentally stripped one of the torx screws.
Also, while reinstall everything back together, I accidentally dropped one of the fasteners down into the engine bay, and I heard it hit bottom. .. ugh..
But nevertheless I confirmed that the camera can be detached from the bumper. The lens itself doesn't seem separable from the camera though.

If you "thump" the bottom of the plastic shield from under the engine bay, and listen for the loose screw to jump, you can locate the lost screw. I did this, and then unscrewed a couple of the nearby fasteners holding the shield in place, until I could get my hand in there to retrieve the lost screw.:D

You really don't want errant pieces of metal bouncing around in the same space with the traction pack...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you "thump" the bottom of the plastic shield from under the engine bay, and listen for the loose screw to jump, you can locate the lost screw. I did this, and then unscrewed a couple of the nearby fasteners holding the shield in place, until I could get my hand in there to retrieve the lost screw.:D

You really don't want errant pieces of metal bouncing around in the same space with the traction pack...
good tip, will try that. I also kinda thought since it's just an all plastic fastener it's prolly ok to leave it :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any chance you have pictures and/or exact steps you took? I just got the same rock-meets-lens issue so I'll have to put in an order for the camera as well.

On a related note: any way to reinforce the lens? $125 is a hefty price to pay for a pebble hit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any chance you have pictures and/or exact steps you took? I just got the same rock-meets-lens issue so I'll have to put in an order for the camera as well.

On a related note: any way to reinforce the lens? $125 is a hefty price to pay for a pebble hit.
Didn't have step by step pictures, but it's pretty straightforward. Just take out the top cover, and loosen a few bolts that fastens the top of the grill to the frame, and you should have enough clearance to access the camera. Use an L shaped torx key to loosen two screwns that holds the camera to the base of the grill/bumper area. The only tricky thing was removing the harness. There's a latch you have to pull to release it. PM me if you have questions :)

re: any way to reinforce the lens: good question, but I don't think there's any practical solution, considering where GM decided to mount this camera. Maybe other wiser members will have suggestions ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
re: any way to reinforce the lens: good question, but I don't think there's any practical solution, considering where GM decided to mount this camera. Maybe other wiser members will have suggestions ?
After seeing a bunch of reports of this on Bolt FB groups but never hearing of this once on MyNissanLeaf w/Leaf's Around View Monitor (yes, I've driven a Leaf with that for almost 6 years now), I became concerned and looked for ways to protect the camera. (Around View Monitor has been available on Leaf since model year '13, as part of the premium package. It's been that way thru model year '17 but Nissan re-jiggered how you can get that w/model year '18+.)

Between my former Leaf w/Nissan AVM and my current one, I've put ~65K miles on them, combined. Nissan mounts theirs under their hamburger logo and it's angled downward. It's harder for a rock to hit and break it.

Today, I finally bought a clear acrylic plastic sheet from Lowe's. They will cut for you in the store (my local Home Depot will not cut for you at all). They only had an 8" x 10" sheets (everything else was way too large) so I had them cut to 4.5" x 10" (in retrospect, 4x10 would've probably worked). I drilled 2 holes in it and put it behind the top of my front license plate. So, it's been held in place by those 2 screws and sticks up, shielding the camera.

I drove my '19 Premier (has driver confidence II) around for awhile and didn't notice any sort of malfunctions yet. Was unclear if there are any sensors in the bumper area right above the license plate frame.

It looks a bit hokey and there are two sharp corners of the plastic. If it works ok, I may remove it to sand or file down the corners.

Each sheet of plastic was under $4 before tax. I bought two sheets just in case they cracked while drilling. Also, I didn't have good measurements which is why I asked for 4.5 x 10". 4 x 10" might've worked and I thus could've just bought one sheet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you use plexiglass for the shield, you can flame the edges with a torch and get very smooth rounded corners. It will also remove saw marks and provide a clear surface.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts