Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized that my Thermos tumbler rattles in the front cup holder and that there isn't a rubber insert inside them.

I bought an 8 pack of silicone coasters from Amazon and cut them down to 2.5" diameter.

No more rattle.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
368 Posts
I must have the same Thermos tumbler, and I've been wanting to do something about the rattle. The most annoying part is that the rear seat cupholders are much nicer, and would hold my tumbler perfectly, except I never sit in the rear.

I don't understand how this works, though. The tumbler is narrower than the cupholder. Don't you need something to pad the sides of the cupholder, rather than just the bottom?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must have the same Thermos tumbler, and I've been wanting to do something about the rattle. The most annoying part is that the rear seat cupholders are much nicer, and would hold my tumbler perfectly, except I never sit in the rear.

I don't understand how this works, though. The tumbler is narrower than the cupholder. Don't you need something to pad the sides of the cupholder, rather than just the bottom?

Heres my tumbler:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Ounce-Travel-Tumbler/dp/B00ETP7D8Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486878851&sr=8-3&keywords=Thermos+tumbler

The bottom of the tumbler is just metal. Previous tumblers had at least a rubber pad at the bottom.

The coasters are thick enough to prevent bottom of the tumbler from directly contacting the empty cup holder. I thought the width would be a problem too, but apparently not.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe the coaster is enough to fix the rattle, if not you can always try padding the sides a bit with some adhesive foam, but I'm not sure how hard they are to remove later down the road.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Maybe the coaster is enough to fix the rattle, if not you can always try padding the sides a bit with some adhesive foam, but I'm not sure how hard they are to remove later down the road.
If you're concerned about the car you can always apply the foam to your trusty coffee cup instead.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a couple of days I figured out that if I centered the tumbler the sides don't touch the cup holder walls.

The rubber coaster keeps the bottom quiet and prevents it from moving off center which allows the sides to touch.

The cup holdr itself is too narrow for the complete rubber inserts like those in the rear cup holders.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're concerned about the car you can always apply the foam to your trusty coffee cup instead.
Thanks Sean. I'm trying something similar - ordered some of those silicone sleeve things they make for holding hot coffee cups. May also put a circle of Contact grippy shelf liner on the bottom, based on tk's suggestion.

tk1971 - Surely, the cup must still hit the sides of the cupholder when you accelerate, decelerate, or turn? My cup looks narrower than yours, so perhaps that's the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039SLSU6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thankfully this won't pose much of an issue for me, I usually lay a microfiber over the cupholder opening, and then stick my beverage of whatever sort in and it seats snug. Even if it's something sealed, I don't take chances lol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sean. I'm trying something similar - ordered some of those silicone sleeve things they make for holding hot coffee cups. May also put a circle of Contact grippy shelf liner on the bottom, based on tk's suggestion.

tk1971 - Surely, the cup must still hit the sides of the cupholder when you accelerate, decelerate, or turn? My cup looks narrower than yours, so perhaps that's the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039SLSU6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phil0909, my cup looks thicker and unless a hit a bump it no longer rattles.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You guys are brave when it comes to having coffee in your vehicle, more often than not coffee cups leak in my vehicle and just make too much of a mess or have too much of a potential for it.

The only way coffee is coming into my car is as just beans to get rid of smells and for cheap

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
You guys are brave when it comes to having coffee in your vehicle, more often than not coffee cups leak in my vehicle and just make too much of a mess or have too much of a potential for it.
You need to get a proper, permanent cup for yourself. Coffee shops will fill it, and you'll save some trees by not using their paper cups.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I have a great cup from Contigo that holds 20 ounces, will maintain temperature for hours, and most importantly, completely seals itself when you are not drinking from it. It requires a button press to open the lid for drinking purposes, and said button is incorporated into the way you hold it, so it's fast and easy to open/close it.

http://www.gocontigo.com/20-oz-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-easy-clean-lid.html

They have multiple colors and designs, all with the same great lid design...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a great cup from Contigo that holds 20 ounces, will maintain temperature for hours, and most importantly, completely seals itself when you are not drinking from it. It requires a button press to open the lid for drinking purposes, and said button is incorporated into the way you hold it, so it's fast and easy to open/close it.

http://www.gocontigo.com/20-oz-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-easy-clean-lid.html

They have multiple colors and designs, all with the same great lid design...
Holy moly, they have it written that your drink stays hot up to 7 hours from pouring it :| Where has this been all my life!

Wait... some of the reviews say that with the new design, it doesn't stay hot for even an hour. What are your experiences lol

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Holy moly, they have it written that your drink stays hot up to 7 hours from pouring it :| Where has this been all my life!

Wait... some of the reviews say that with the new design, it doesn't stay hot for even an hour. What are your experiences lol
My experience has been that it keeps the coffee hot for hours and hours. I've had the cup for about 1.5 years. It's possible they had a recent manufacturing run where the cups were made incorrectly and they leak heat.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You need to get a proper, permanent cup for yourself. Coffee shops will fill it, and you'll save some trees by not using their paper cups.
Completely forgot about that, better get on it since managing that in a vehicle is too easy.
Who knows what more green things I will be doing :D

Now that has me recalling some videos I seen on how hard its to dispose of coffee cups

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My experience has been that it keeps the coffee hot for hours and hours. I've had the cup for about 1.5 years. It's possible they had a recent manufacturing run where the cups were made incorrectly and they leak heat.
Hmm.. I'd be willing to bite the bullet and take a swing at it. Thanks for the experience bit there, I'll take a look into it.

The only thing that's gonna be bad for me, which is completely my fault, is that I'll end up neglecting and leaving the darn thing in the car and end up buying coffees in regular cups again.

·
Registered
368 Posts

People seem to find the Thermos brand cups keep drinks hot/cold longer than the Contigo. Two good ones linked above in this thread. Mine works great, but is a pain to clean. And it's narrow enough to rattle around in the Bolt cupholder. I'm gonna give tk1971's Thermos Stainless King a try.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
The advantage of the Contigo cup is the ease of opening/closing the top in order to take a drink. It's a one handed operation while holding the cup. You can't accidentally leave the top open, which minimizes any chances of spillage. If you accidentally let go of the cup while drinking, it instantly closes. The Thermos cups referenced didn't seem to have a lid as good as the Contigo.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The advantage of the Contigo cup is the ease of opening/closing the top in order to take a drink. It's a one handed operation while holding the cup. You can't accidentally leave the top open, which minimizes any chances of spillage. If you accidentally let go of the cup while drinking, it instantly closes. The Thermos cups referenced didn't seem to have a lid as good as the Contigo.
Eh, everything is a tradeoff. The downside of the Contigos is you have to push in the right spot to open the lid every time you want to take a sip. I prefer the Thermos lids, and very rarely drop my cup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts