Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed these on my 2022 Bolt and it gave me a 1.5" lift to my front end. This definately improves my clearance and avoids parking blocks from damages under my front bumper. Super easy to install and tools were not necessary. Just some greese. These clear speed bumps effectively, too. Steardier and well balaced on curves. I can't tell you guys anything on aero dynamics. But, I don't believe the effect will be too detrimental. My Bolt is just a city commuter. Not a freeway extreemer. They are: 2pcs A Style Car Auto Shock Absorber Power Cushion Buffer Special Spring Bumper obtainable either on Ebay or amazon. Hope this benefits some of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am confused.
What does it do?

From the install it seems it only slides on the spring. It does not lift the car...
What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am confused.
What does it do?

From the install it seems it only slides on the spring. It does not lift the car...
What am I missing here?
Well, what you're required to do 1st is do the research, locate the simple instructions and you'll find your way towards the install. Once you safely raise the Bolt and have the tires at eye level you'll see that the springs stretch enough to install the part. When the Bolt is lowered you'll see the difference in height and feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed these on my 2022 Bolt and it gave me a 1.5" lift to my front end. This definately improves my clearance and avoids parking blocks from damages under my front bumper. Super easy to install and tools were not necessary. Just some greese. These clear speed bumps effectively, too. Steardier and well balaced on curves. I can't tell you guys anything on aero dynamics. But, I don't believe the effect will be too detrimental. My Bolt is just a city commuter. Not a freeway extreemer. They are: 2pcs A Style Car Auto Shock Absorber Power Cushion Buffer Special Spring Bumper obtainable either on Ebay or amazon. Hope this benefits some of you.
Do you need an alignment after?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well, what you're required to do 1st is do the research, locate the simple instructions and you'll find your way towards the install. Once you safely raise the Bolt and have the tires at eye level you'll see that the springs stretch enough to install the part. When the Bolt is lowered you'll see the difference in height and feel.
Man, what research?
Of course I looked it up and I could not find a piece of information supporting the idea you are trying to sell here.
I completely dislike this mod.
I looked through Amazon pieces that they sell (some are solid, nice red colour, some are clear like yours...) and from all installs I found none of them made the suspension taller. However, I found a high rate of failure. The rubber inserts split, crack, or melt.
What it did, though, was to mess up the spring travel and compression rates.

Your spring travel is shorter now. Yes, the car may seem taller, but 1.5" seems a very stretched fact.
What you simply did, was to immobilize a few turns of the spring in the stretched position. This, in turn, puts more load on the rest of the spring.
As a result, the other parts of the spring will wear much faster what may result in a premature failure.
Going further - if one of the insert cracks when going at a high speed (say bump on the highway) you may be in a deep $hit. Imagine now one front wheel dropping 1.5" when you are going 65 mph. Add a turn to it.
Not sure how are your skills, but no matter how good they are, the car will be unpredictable.

Again, I completely dislike this mod.
It is unsafe and makes the suspension worse.

I like the mod the moment I saw it, because I would like to have more ground clearance as well.
Yet, this one is a big no for me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Please adjust your headlights. Otherwise, you will be blinding oncoming traffic.
If the height increase is same front and back, they would be basically same... of course if...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Your car, your mod and none here can say you nay.

However, our opinions may vary. FWIW, coincidentally, a local guy was showing me a similar/same spring insert modification. He had me drive it and JMHO, but I wouldn't have installed it if someone gave me a pair. I did not care for the feel at all.

jack vines

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is no lift… just a reduction of 1.5 inches to your front spring travel. It means you will never fully bottom out your front suspension, which might be something you appreciate over speed bumps. Otherwise, as others mentioned, you just made your suspension work harder since you reduced its capability. I think for a small, heavy car with very basic suspension it is already working hard enough.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I wanted to clarify something, if that is not obvious to you.

We are like a family here.
An honest family.

What you read here, meaning our comments, for one they may look as an attack, while what they actually are - a very honest opinion how others feel about it (your mod).
It is not to make you feel bad. It is rather to give you support and a different view, from a different perspective.
Oh yeah, we had heated conversations (PTC heater, towing, charging mods...). But all end up OK. Always.

I am not sure how old and experienced (mechanically) you are. I bet I would do the same about 20 years ago. I would read what it says on the box and I would think - heck yeah, cheap lift.
But over the course of 20 years (from when I was in the early 20's) I learnt that majority of cheap, good, modifications are only... cheap. They are not good.

Like cheap LED headlights that make 15'000 lumens (but crappy light distribution, so you see nothing), or turbo whistle on the exhaust, or magnet on the fuel line...

So again, do not be upset, if you were. I hope you were not, though.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
Interesting form of lift... How did the alignment work after ?

Did you re-aim your headlights ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts