Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tried a lot of iterations, especially using scrap parts. The best, without a doubt, is the first one of the thread with the two rectangles in the back (under the butt) with the 2" cut for the wire. Pic. before the connector was lowered through.

Still wondering about best order for disassembly (2018). I did back two clips, back lower side clips on the springs, button with the long tab, front long clip, and finally the side two clips on the center car side. There might be some advantage to doing the front long clip first, not sure.

Anyway, even on 2018, only two drives later, It is a much better seat!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
As way of update, my wife just did some more experimenting on the seat -- make a good thing better. She just unclipped the long retainer strips to make the upholstery less tense. They look more stock and feel softer now.
Which retainer strips were unclipped? Did she unclip the middle-of-the-back strip AND the strips on each side? Or just the middle one?
Do you still feel that made it better?

Thank you for all the info on this! I know it's almost two years old, but it's still very helpful.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The one across the middle of the back. The perimeter on both back and bottom cushions seems to stay on with less compression and corresponding "hardness" - though it would likely work with them disengaged if you don't mind a less defined shape to the cushion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found closed cell foam swimming "kickboard" (made from the same foam as the swimming noodles) for $1.99 at the 99cent store and it is just the right size for the seat. All I did was cut it in half and slide it on each side of the wire for the seat heater. I only had to remove the 2 clips to the back and 2 on the rear sides to have enough room to slide it in under all the padding on top the wire frame. Much better, well worth the $1.99 and only took a few minutes.

Now I want to add foam to the seat back so does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to dissemble the seat back covers?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found closed cell foam swimming "kickboard" (made from the same foam as the swimming noodles) for $1.99 at the 99cent store and it is just the right size for the seat. All I did was cut it in half and slide it on each side of the wire for the seat heater. I only had to remove the 2 clips to the back and 2 on the rear sides to have enough room to slide it in under all the padding on top the wire frame. Much better, well worth the $1.99 and only took a few minutes.

Now I want to add foam to the seat back so does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to dissemble the seat back covers?
I used one of those closed cell seat pads that they sell at Dicks Sporting Goods (it's labeled Dicks). So far, about a year later, and it is still comfy.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I used one of those closed cell seat pads that they sell at Dicks Sporting Goods (it's labeled Dicks). So far, about a year later, and it is still comfy.

So, now you've joined the "well-equipped" group of Bolt drivers who often sit on their Dicks! >:)
Edit: I should probably apologize, but just can't bring myself to do so. >:) >:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
back padding with leather?

Has anyone added foam to the leather seat backs? I did it and things went pretty well except for one thing. (Well, two, if you count the clips that hold in the headrests. That was expected.) Putting the edge of the upholstery with the plastic edge back into the groove along the side with the airbag is a major pain. In fact, I haven't been able to finish it. Any time it seems like I'm getting close and the plastic strip is in the canal that's supposed to hold it (officially called "side support", I think), the top of the canal piece pops out of a whole that holds it in place. It's hard to describe. The canal piece is attached to the seat frame at the bottom by a torx-like screw, but the top is just a plastic peg that fits into a hole. When I squeeze my fingers into the space to get the upholstery into the canal, the canal bend a little bit and the peg pops out of the frame hole. Sooooo frustrating.

I feel like the only way I could do this would be to somehow attach the upholstery to the canal before mounting the whole thing to the frame. I'm just not sure if I can take off the necessary pieces. Maybe I'll just disconnect that torx screw first.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm hesitant to do my second seat before I figure this thing out.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That last photo looks like the cushion may need to compress a bit to give a little more available material. You appear to have the top already "curled" into the groove - just need to keep pressing it in along the leading edge where it's already in place. Maybe it will take a little more pressure - even perhaps using a pry tool to push it in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That last photo looks like the cushion may need to compress a bit to give a little more available material. You appear to have the top already "curled" into the groove - just need to keep pressing it in along the leading edge where it's already in place. Maybe it will take a little more pressure - even perhaps using a pry tool to push it in?
Thanks for the response. While I was able to get the plastic strip into the groove with my fingers earlier, I never got it to lock into place. And bending the "side support" piece to make room for my fingers caused it to pop out of the top socket in the frame. I like your idea of using a pry tool to push it in. Maybe that'll help. Otherwise, I'll look for something to unscrew the bottom torx screw to alleviate the pressure.

I'll report back when I solve it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
any tips on adding foam to the seat 'back' ? like in the lumbar area ?

These are the links to instructions / video for the seat back padding additions. These are good info if you want to add padding to seat back. Found these links for videos on another forum that show how to peel the seat top away from the plastic and remove the headrests. Then I found this link is also here, but not labeled for seat back addition of padding instruction video:

from volt forum:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...padding-mods-2

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/gary.aulfin...user_video_tab

The reason the seats are "Hard" and uncomfortable is that there is no padding on the sides of the upper seat back. Very poor choice for Chevrolet. Love the Bolt, Hate the seats. Pressure points on both shoulders. No lumbar support. Going to have it fixed very soon. I already put padding under the bottom cushion under the heating wires and that helps a lot but need to add the padding to the seat back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just had the seats fixed, the seat backs and bottoms, and I am enjoying them every day. I went to an auto upholstery shop and had some padding added to the seats. (I ended up having the seat guy add padding to the seat backs and seat bottoms, he had the seats out anyway....) Spend $200-$300 and enjoy seats with padding for the next several years (you will enjoy this every day you go sit in your seats with actual padding.) I now have actual lumbar support and when I sit down into the seat, I don't bruise my a** on the edge of the non padded seat. The upholstery guy said these is no padding around the edges of the seat back, (just hard plastic) and the density of the padding under the lumbar support is so soft, it is pointless. Just do it. Make an appointment, pay a few bucks and have them fixed and enjoy your car. Now when I sit in the car, I just say "awhhhh", not "ouch".....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for opportunity to visit and write:
Many complaints, many buttisimos, many fixes
In my extremely humble , respectful manner, must express most humble personal observation;
Bad seat? then wrong car
Now for insults? Save them , won't work any better than home made seats
Submitted most respectfully as are all my posts
Like bad seats fixes and opinions we all got one or all

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks for opportunity to visit and write:
Many complaints, many buttisimos, many fixes
In my extremely humble , respectful manner, must express most humble personal observation;
Bad seat? then wrong car
Now for insults? Save them , won't work any better than home made seats
Submitted most respectfully as are all my posts
Like bad seats fixes and opinions we all got one or all
If there were a hundred comparable cars to choose from, you'd have a point. But once you drive electric, ICE options just don't make the grade, leaving very few options. And among EVs, there are even fewer options nationwide that have the range, affordability, and practicality of a Bolt EV. So a simple tweak to the seats is a no-brainer.

Just like custom window tinting, or speakers, after-market wheels, etc — plenty of people will improve an attribute of a car that is otherwise a "good fit" in order to meet their needs and tastes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If there were a hundred comparable cars to choose from, you'd have a point. But once you drive electric, ICE options just don't make the grade, leaving very few options. And among EVs, there are even fewer options nationwide that have the range, affordability, and practicality of a Bolt EV. So a simple tweak to the seats is a no-brainer.

Just like custom window tinting, or speakers, after-market wheels, etc — plenty of people will improve an attribute of a car that is otherwise a "good fit" in order to meet their needs and tastes.
On second thought triple thumbs up to you for the well worded ICE and EV
(and no T word)

A big KUDOS too

·
Registered
150 Posts

My point exactly. I love the car on every other aspect and to make it a better fit for me, $200-$300 is not that much cash. (That is what I would spend on oil changes in 2-3 years in a ICE car, so why not be comfortable with the "upgraded" seats.) It is the only option I could find for a 200+ mile EV under $25k (used) and still has climate control knobs and buttons....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used a 1-1/2" thick kneeling pad. I trimmed off 1-1/2" from either end, cut a slot down the middle to accommodate the seat
20190831_143656.jpg
20190831_143627_Burst01.jpg
heating cable and slid it in between the existing cushion and the springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up buying these seat covers, customized for the Bolt :

You can find them at a discount online through Costco.com or SamsClub.com

These seat covers have about 1/2" of padding; this made a huge difference in the comfort of the front seats. I no longer have any pains with driving for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ended up buying these seat covers, customized for the Bolt :

You can find them at a discount online through Costco.com or SamsClub.com

These seat covers have about 1/2" of padding; this made a huge difference in the comfort of the front seats. I no longer have any pains with driving for an extended period of time.
Did you ever get them? I ordered some last year and after waiting over a month they told me they weren't available and I had to cancel the order.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts