Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the 1st Frost Frost (if you live in N.E. you already know this means scrap-able windshield frost/ice)

I Pre-warmed the car and the Wipers are STILL Frosted. Drove 8 miles (DD to school and back) with Defroster on... nothing, still the same !

How the F am I going to deal with N.E. Winters if the **** Wipers won't UNFREEZE !!
:mad:

I am beyond pissed about this. This is a SAFETY ISSUE for me.

and either this has not come up before or no one else has an issue as I couldn't find anything written on this.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
If you turn the temperature knob all the way up, and put it on Max defrost, the fan will go to 5, and the heater will run wide open. The air blowing out of your defroster vent will be over 100F. That should be enough to melt the frost. That said, I have always freed my wipers, from the windshield, with my scraper before leaving. Never wanted to chance wrecking a wiper motor.

The heater core in an ICE car gets up to 200F. I have never measured the temperature of the air coming out of the defroster on an ICE, but I assume it is hotter than the Bolt's.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here's a trick I learned from ChrisFix on YouTube. I haven't verified with frost (keep my Bolt in the garage) but it reports to help with that - wax your windshield. Just clean the windshield a few times, then put your favorite body wax on it and buff off. It looks incredible (the windshield looks great anyhow) and it gives it a micro smooth surface that rain beads on (it does, verified last night) and frost doesn't adhere to. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Lin19687 said:
...How the F am I going to deal with N.E. Winters if the **** Wipers won't UNFREEZE !!
:mad:

I am beyond pissed about this. This is a SAFETY ISSUE for me.
Wow. Just... Wow. Good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, instead of road rage it's forum rage. I'd question the reasoning behind driving off with a frozen windshield and wipers in the first place, I always get it all cleaned up first instead of trying to save a few minutes.
Indeed. Or... Perhaps... a $20 windshield cover??

Or... Maybe...

·
Registered
989 Posts
IMO, you should handle this before driving to avoid issues on the road. There are good suggestions already posted. I would add you might try some microwave magic and some warm water to unfreeze them after the car has been pre-conditioned.

Most of the time, I just use the scraper to bump em loose and flip em up to clean the ice off of the rubber and blades. It's really not hard to do and only takes a few minutes. Then you won't be so wound up for the rest of the day.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I fixed by moving to the southwest nearly four decades ago. Back in the late 70's I broke the windshield of my Volkswagen bug trying to chip the ice off one morning. Talk about a defroster that doesn't work well. Air cooled engine with flappers that close to redirect the "heat" from the engine.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I dealt with all of that, growing up in the cold, and dark north, before fleeing to Virginia in the mid '70s. Still dealt with some nasty winter weather, before climate change really kicked in. I still think car companies need to use their heads in North America, like they do in Northern Europe. Alcohol or propane heaters are great, and eliminate all the hassles, for a miniscule increase in CO2 footprint.

If you ever drove a Corvair, with the amazing, optional gas heater, you would know what I mean. Best heater ever offered in North America. Not only would it melt the snow of you boots, it would melt the rubber soles, if you didn't turn it down!

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Corvair-heater-gas-1960-trunk.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
On older cars, the wipers are usually resting directly over the air vent, but these new cars have the wipers kind of hidden beneath in the cowl area and so heating the windshield doesn't defrost those wipers. Hmm ... I can see how this can be problematic in the frozen tundra. When they're frozen, there's not much you can do besides scraping off the ice, warming up the engine, and heating the windshield.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you all really think I drove off with a frozen windshield and could not see ?? Seriously did you all READ what I wrote? FROSTED WIPERS is listed in the description, not frosted windshield.

I Pre-warmed the car, the windshield was NON FROZEN/FROSTED. I am talking about the WIPERS.
I only noticed because drips came down on the windshield and when I hit the wipers they were still stiff.

They sit BELOW the shield, there is no defrost that gets blown on them. Therefore they are still frozen, as in Not Warm so they don't squeegie the shield. So if they don't warm up they can't wipe off snow (when it comes).

I have been here for 45+ years, I know how to drive and scrape off my windshield .

@Gern, those covers don't work up in the real north. But when snow does come I do put the wipers up like that. It does help a ton. But if where the wipers sit on the Bolt does not get warm they will just re-freeze on the shield.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you all really think I drove off with a frozen windshield and could not see ?? Seriously did you all READ what I wrote? FROSTED WIPERS is listed in the description, not frosted windshield.
I read and understood and my point stands, I would have cleared the wipers, windshield and everything. I'd check the tires too while I was at it :nerd:

Shrug, just lift your wipers as Gern showed. I love the Bolt design that hides the wipers, if it means you have to tee-pee them then so be it. And you can still try my wax idea, did you read the thread instead of hyperventilating?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Wonder if hitting the wipe fluid would work? I hit that thing the first time and it completely blanked out the whole windshield for half a second. Thing is powerful. Lower freezing point fluid with force could dislodge the frozen wipers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It seems that if you pre-condition via remote start from the FOB with the fan set to OFF when you powered down the car- the Bolt will "decide" on the cabin temp, fan speed and vent settings it will use.

If you pre-condition via remote start from the FOB and manually set the fan speed(5), temp(78-80F) and vents(all 3) before you powered down the car- the Bolt will "remember" those settings while pre-conditioning.

If you have any indication that it's going to be extremely cold or icy the next morning, preset the climate system as indicated in paragraph two above and you'll have no problems with ice in the morning.

We've already had morning windshield ice 2x on Long Island in the past two weeks... no problems melting it with manually presetting the climate control the night before.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Operator ERROR....... Time to learn new/all things digital!
Analog is dead and so are the OLD DAYS and WAYS of doing things.

Remember to evolve from the 1964 Chevy you had back in the day. It's the 21st century..LOL!

Pay attention to NY-ROB's post. It will help you evolve and not be an analog, CURMUDGEON!

This is all just for fun because you're getting so hyper agitated and it shows..... >:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TY NY-Rob as you are the only person that seems to know what the issue is and gave an answer.
I hope that works or Chevy made the worst design for Snow country

Drdiesel, yes I am agitated, mainly from comments from people like you. I was not born in 64 or before, Thanks for the sarcastic remarks. It sure helped. I guess you never heard/used the comment... if you have nothing nice to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But if where the wipers sit on the Bolt does not get warm they will just re-freeze on the shield.
This actually happened to me this week. I had a little snow on the windshield that melted with the pre-conditionning. Then I used the wipers to get what was left off. All was fine. But about an hour of driving later, I tried to clean the windshield cause it was getting too dirty. I sprayded the windshield but the wipers didn't move. This was a little scary since I was on the highway... When I arrived at work, I took a look at the wipers and they were totally stuck in ice. All that at only 28F. I'm not too reassured for the subzero Fahrenheit temperature to come...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Lin19687 and xirpinu that this could become a major safety issue in cold weather.

I live in Quebec, Canada, where it gets pretty cold and snowy in the winter. A few days ago I drove 350 miles through cold (15F) and snow. I can confirm that when my clean, wet wipers (from wiping my warm windshield) were not used for a while they would get icy again and not wipe well. Once the passenger side wiper even got stuck frozen to the windshield while driving (probably because it lays lower than the driver side one on the non-heated lower part of the windshield, which makes it more prone to freezing). If they were to both get stuck to the windshield while driving, the consequence could be dramatic.

I will keep you posted on how things go up here over the coldest months of January and February. In the meantime, I will look at other Canadian forums to see if they experience the same problem.

For people who live in the northern states and Canada, this thread is very important. Thanks Lin19687 for starting it, and to all other members for sharing their experience over the next few months. If it proves to be a widespread, recurring problem, then GM will have to be informed about it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts