Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a Bolt locally(Savannah Georgia) and most of the dealers don't carry the Bolt. There are a couple about 50-60 miles away. They are only getting one at a time and it is sold immediately and they have to wait months for another. I'm seriously considering buying a Honda because of GM's incompetence in distributing or producing the Bolt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is frustrating, I went through the same thing. Truth is, they're so easy to sell on the west coast, I'm kinda shocked they're sending any this way. I drove two hours to do a head to head test drive of the Bolt vs the Volt. After that, I came home a drew a 238 mile radius :) around my hometown and started looking on cars.com. I've had over 35 cars in my life. This one is my favorite (okay, second favorite to my father's Tesla S). Keep looking, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've been looking for a Bolt locally(Savannah Georgia) and most of the dealers don't carry the Bolt. There are a couple about 50-60 miles away. They are only getting one at a time and it is sold immediately and they have to wait months for another. I'm seriously considering buying a Honda because of GM's incompetence in distributing or producing the Bolt.
You should be able to place a factory order for exactly the model and options you want. Not sure of the lead time, but I can’t see a Chevy dealer turning down a guaranteed sale. I would contact two or three local dealers with your details and ask them for a quote. Don’t be surprised if a model with specs similar to what you want magically becomes available, as dealers swap inventory all the time, and they can also redirect an incoming car from another dealership.

I’ve ordered two cars factory direct in the past, and one took about a month and the other over two months. Your dealer will be able to give you a delivery date estimate. Other times when I balked at taking a model from dealer stock the dealership was able to find what I wanted nearby, and I had a car in a couple of days.

Good luck shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ordered my wife's escape directly from the factory. I tried to talk her into a greener vehicle, but the choices were limited toward the end of 2016. She got exactly what she wanted $1000 under invoice and $3500 in rebates. She's happy. I don't think I can get a good deal on a limited availability vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
They've got 74 of them sitting on the lot over at Fremont Chevrolet here in California. All marked $2000 off MSRP. Probably could do better at the end of the month. You would have to arrange and pay for transport to you, but others have done it and it's likely less than $1000. I don't know how the taxes work.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's obvious GM doesn't have the capacity or the desire to produce the Bolt in quantity and therefore is not making any effort to push sales; ergo, profits on SUV/trucks are their focus.

FWIW, this ain't new news from GM. Those of us who were there in the muscle car days remember seeing the magazine road tests of the '65.5 Corvette 425hp, the '65 Chevelle SS 396", the '66 Chevy II L79 327" 350hp. We'd go to the dealer, place an order and somehow the car never came. Sometimes, the dealer never even placed the order, figuring after waiting a while it would be easy to downsell the buyer into a lower horsepower car which wouldn't be back within a month with a blown engine and a warranty claim. Sometimes, GM just didn't want those cars out there, because they'd be raced and they'd blow up. The road tests did get some great free publicity which spurred sales of the vanilla cars.

jack vines

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm in Canada and it was painstaking to get mine. I had to do all the work and after contacting their HQ I managed to have them find me the car in another province and have it trucked to my dealership. They actually thanked me in the end because they had 3 more ppl in line and they ended up negotiating with he other dealership and exchanging cars so 4 Bolts could be trucked in.
I do not regret it.
I got it on January 29 and I have already 1,334km on it (I commute a lot) ... loving every second. Although it does not feel fair, it is worth the fight and the waiting.
cheers!

Reactions: Raymondjram

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let your dealer's fingers do the walking. Find exactly the vehicle you want on another dealer's lot and get yours to do a swap. They do it all the time. I did a factory order and was told to expect to wait 6 weeks. Right! The following Monday, the salesman called to tell me my car had arrived. A Northern Va dealer wanted a SUV from my dealer's lot and just happened to have exactly my car on his. I did have to wait 4 days while the dealer tinted my windows. Otherwise, perfect!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Bolt dealers I talked to told me nobody wants to trade. There aren't many Bolts and they only want to trade for Bolts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It was a little frustrating for me too. I live in (more or less) Charlotte, NC and at the time i was looking to buy a Bolt which was early December 2017, and the last time I looked on Autotrader there were 2 at any Chevy dealer within 10 miles of Charlotte and those were both fully loaded Premiers which I didn't want. But in VA and DC and eastern NC there were a bunch of them. I ended up driving to Raleigh (2.5 hours away from Charlotte) to get one that i wanted with a good deal, and even those were last minute additions, I was gearing up to driving to DC to get a deal on one. It was weird to me that the largest city in the state (Charlotte) had functionally no Bolts.

So, I guess it just depends on what dealer orders what cars. At the time I guess Charlotte dealers just didn't want to order any and those in Raleigh took the chance and ordered some. The sales guy said they had sold 6-7 Bolts the week i bought mine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Weeks after ordering first opened up here in December of 2016 I checked with 9 dealers. Finally had to go way out into the sticks in order to find a dealer with an order slot available. Well worth the effort though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe visit Raleigh NC? The dealer I bought from claimed to be the largest EV seller, when I went in they had 5 on the floor to choose from. They did say there was a lull between Feb 1 and Feb 28 as they switch to 2018, but they had 5-6 more coming in for the 2018 model by end of Feb. They still have a red LT there. They were taking about 5k off sticker.

·
Registered
979 Posts
They were taking about 5k off sticker.
Was there indication of a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive involved ? AFAIK the dealer has about $3k to work with between MSRP and net dealer cost. Dealer shows his staff a dealer invoice from GM about 2% higher than his real cost. Due to pack in the dealer invoice for inventory financing and advertising allowance, most of which dealer gets refunded thru the back door.

Anyway I wonder why GM would incent the Bolt in that locale other than perhaps: a little bit of lease rate and/or residual pack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'm not that saavy with car buying, I come in and argue until I get what I want. I needed to lease this one, and they made it all work really well. The tax incentive would have been nice at the end of the year, but i go through cars like people go through underwear so I lease them so its easier to walk away. I'm hoping there are more models to choose from in 2021 when this lease is up :) My kids start driving soon, and my excuse will be to let them use the bolt and get something else in 18 months or so...heh

·
Registered
574 Posts
Only about 2000 to 3000 are produced a month: it's a low volume car. Like the other guys said: your local dealers should work the system to get you the car you want. They can swap orders with other dealers for cars. They know happy customers come back, and they tell their friends about the great service. You are an easy customer to please: you know what you want. But the dealer won't be making much money from maintenance with a Bolt buyer: there is so little that needs any service for the life of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Bolt dealers I talked to told me nobody wants to trade. There aren't many Bolts and they only want to trade for Bolts.
I learned recently that dealers look to minimize the time cars spend on the lot in order to reduce their acquisition costs (sale time is a factor in the cost of credit from their banks.) Find a car on a lot that has been there for a couple months and you'll probably have someone motivated. A 2017 would be easier than a 2018 right now (plus, the $2k incentive!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts