Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fully charged yesterday and the car showed 260 miles. I charge with location based charging, 12 amps, but it seems the settings keep changing back (I get about 20 EV miles per hour charge, L2). Anyways last night I took a 150 mile highway trip, and my battery was down to 70 miles this morning. I did a full charge and it shows now 227 at full charge. Is this the computer learning based on my driving habits? Hilltop reserve is off.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The estimated range is based on your current driving habits. The long highway trip took my energy per mile than your previous driving mileage. Nothing is wrong ;)
)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The estimated range is based on your current driving habits. The long highway trip took my energy per mile than your previous driving mileage. Nothing is wrong ;)
)
OK thats what I thought. And since my car only has 700 miles on it, my expected range is fairly sensitive to driving habits I guess.

If I am using a L2 charger, does switching between 8 amps and 12 make much difference?

·
Registered
624 Posts
OK thats what I thought. And since my car only has 700 miles on it, my expected range is fairly sensitive to driving habits I guess.

If I am using a L2 charger, does switching between 8 amps and 12 make much difference?
changing the current setting doesn't make any difference for L2. that setting only applies to 120V (L1) chargers.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Fun fact. If you charge up the car and check you "range" it will give you a number based on your recent driving. If you clear the trip mileage on the DIC, the distance returns to 0, and the mi/kWh reverts to 3.9 A few moments later your "range" will change to distance based on the default 3.9 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I always wondered about that default 3.9 mi/kWh. It's like that's the EPA rated efficiency or something. EPA was 238 mi, so 238 / 60 = 3.9667. Awfully close to 3.9.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Fun fact. If you charge up the car and check you "range" it will give you a number based on your recent driving. If you clear the trip mileage on the DIC, the distance returns to 0, and the mi/kWh reverts to 3.9 A few moments later your "range" will change to distance based on the default 3.9 mi/kWh.
This is not true in my experience. I reset my Trip Meter every day before leaving for work. While the miles per kWh resets to the default of 3.9, my predicted range has never reset back to a higher value to reflects the 3.9 miles/kWh default estimation.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
This is not true in my experience. I reset my Trip Meter every day before leaving for work. While the miles per kWh resets to the default of 3.9, my predicted range has never reset back to a higher value to reflects the 3.9 miles/kWh default estimation.
Interesting. I also reset the center screen bar graph. I will have to experiment to see if it is and, or and/or.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Interesting. I also reset the center screen bar graph. I will have to experiment to see if it is and, or and/or.
I ignore the center screen bar graph (the one with the 5, 10, 15, etc mile data points).

Tested this again this morning, DIC mi/kWh value reset to 3.9, predicted range did not change from 163. Only way to make that number change is turn off the climate control system.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I ignore the center screen bar graph (the one with the 5, 10, 15, etc mile data points).

Tested this again this morning, DIC mi/kWh value reset to 3.9, predicted range did not change from 163. Only way to make that number change is turn off the climate control system.
Whoa! You are saying that turning off the climate system, on the center screen, caused the predicted range to reset? Being retired, we don't charge very often. Will be a few days before I test this.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Whoa! You are saying that turning off the climate system, on the center screen, caused the predicted range to reset? Being retired, we don't charge very often. Will be a few days before I test this.
Yes, if you turn off/on the climate system from the center screen, the predicted range in the DIC goes up/down instantly. Doesn’t matter if you have a full charge, half charge, or even a quarter charge. I don’t think the temperature setting has any influence, just whether heat/cooling is on or off. My Plug-in Prius acted in the same way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the first 700 miles it was always the case that my miles driven on a trip exceeded the drop in "estimated miles". Today I started on a 152-mile trip with 205 miles in the virtual tank. But I had two passengers plus me. And temps were under 15 F. for most of the trip. And of course hilly. Made it home with 30 miles to spare and had the pleasure of seeing all the nice little green bars turn orange about a half mile from my house.

205-30=175, so the 152 mile trip used up 175 virtual miles. My point is that each trip is a little different and one must learn what all these numbers mean. The FLOW screen seems very useful here. Each green rectangle there is 3 kWh, and I would hope that that estimate of how much energy remains is 100% accurate. Seems so. While I had averaged 4.1 mi/kwh for first 700 miles, this particular trip averaged about 3.5 mi/kwh.

I had checked that there was a Chargepoint at the 75% mark, but I was confident, so we just cruised by it.

And, yes, the Prius Plug-In we traded for the Bolt had the behavior just noted re climate system and estimate miles, so I am used to that.

The 20 green bars that indicate battery capacity. Each one would be 3 kwH, right? Is there any reserve at the end, or should one read those 20 bars as being literally true -- 3 each. Gasoline measuring has always been inexact, so it is so nice knowing exactly how much energy the car is carrying. I do note that the yellow arc at the far left of the DIC often goes below the last green bar, making one think that maybe there is more. But I suspect not.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Yes, if you turn off/on the climate system from the center screen, the predicted range in the DIC goes up/down instantly. Doesn’t matter if you have a full charge, half charge, or even a quarter charge. I don’t think the temperature setting has any influence, just whether heat/cooling is on or off. My Plug-in Prius acted in the same way.
Fascinating. I don't pay much attention to the range reading anyway. I watch the bars, and figure 9-12 miles per bar, and adjust my driving according to how many bars are left.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The 20 green bars that indicate battery capacity. Each one would be 3 kwH, right? Is there any reserve at the end, or should one read those 20 bars as being literally true -- 3 each.
I take them to be exact, and all there is. I have been down to 1 bar, and 14 miles remaining, hypermiling at 5 mi/kWh. Ran fine at "power reduced" on secondary roads.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So when did/does Power Reduced come on. Today I saw orange for the first time at 30 miles left. Of course, I know the idea is to avoid cutting things close, but things happen sometime (broken ChargePoint, etc).

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
So when did/does Power Reduced come on. Today I saw orange for the first time at 30 miles left. Of course, I know the idea is to avoid cutting things close, but things happen sometime (broken ChargePoint, etc).
I saw "power reduced" at about 16 miles. I saw "find a charge station", at about 22 miles, as I recall.

·
Registered
17 Posts

The range doesn't "reset," it just increases because the use of climate controls (heat/AC) will knock about 10-15 miles off of your estimated range. Once you turn heat or AC off, the range goes back up a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was fully charged yesterday and the car showed 260 miles. I charge with location based charging, 12 amps, but it seems the settings keep changing back (I get about 20 EV miles per hour charge, L2). Anyways last night I took a 150 mile highway trip, and my battery was down to 70 miles this morning. I did a full charge and it shows now 227 at full charge. Is this the computer learning based on my driving habits? Hilltop reserve is off.

Stop wasting your time with the 8/12 amp setting. First off, it automatically switches back to 8 amps as the default when you start the car. Second, it has nothing to do with Level 2 charging. It's purpose is to make sure you are not drawing more current from regular 110 volt household outlets than the wiring in those outlets can handle.

For 240 volt (L2) charging you just plug it in and let it charge. There is nothing to adjust in the car.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The range doesn't "reset," it just increases because the use of climate controls (heat/AC) will knock about 10-15 miles off of your estimated range. Once you turn heat or AC off, the range goes back up a bit.
Yeah. I realized that when I went out in the garage, and checked it out. You can turn the climate system on and off, and it doesn't reset the range estimate, unless you also have the heat/AC button pushed too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts