Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in Austin and decided to drive to Houston. We were at 178 Miles (Houston is 140 Miles) we just made it with 30 Miles to spare. We decided to charge using a EVGo DC Charger. It stopped at 170 Miles and an hour of charging. We would like to get back to Austin with 220 Miles starting off. Can we just charge at my sisters house using my Bolt charging cord to fill it up? It’s not on hilltop option and it was at 12 instead of 4. At the house I’m assuming we can just use 4 amps?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, you will get about 12 amps at 120 volts with the standard charging cord, which will add about 4-5 miles of range per hour you leave it plugged in.
Just remember to change the setting from 8 to 12 AMPS (I think it defaults to 8 AMPS)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Before setting in the 12 amps, you may want to find if your sister has anything else running on that circuit. Of course, you could always start at 12 amps and see if the breaker trips.;)

Curious if you tried unplugging the DCFC and starting over again to exceed your 1-hour limit and bring it up to a full charge.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Some of those chargers are designed to kick off after an hour. Just restart it and pay attention
to what it's telling you on the display when you activate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts