Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
One sweet Bolt...nicely driven. Sounds like you need to bring a friend with a Model X for a fast tow charge between runs.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great write up. I understand the struggle you've got - having to explain how much underappreciated potential the Bolt has to non-enthusiasts. Teslas have a good thing going for them - super supportive community of enthusiasts + top talent with a chip on their shoulder. Run a demolition derby on "suercars" with 0-100-0 times that really are self explanatory to basic people.

Chevy made the Bolt with a different long term view. While Tesla is all in on EV, Chevy made the Bolt in such a way to not eat their ICE sales. A Bolt doesn't go far enough to make it an only car in a multi-car America. A Bolt charges slow enough that you won't want to drive it from DCFC to DCFC. Front wheel drive. So the Bolt, as made, doesn't require the core of GM to do a thing. No scary changes, no leading the way.

And yet here you are, championing a platform that could be awesome. Should be more awesome than GM left it.

BTW, I also am a recovering track junkie and kart dude. So I know the feeling of people parking their cars in the turns, and not letting me by on the straights. I drove a car that infuriated people. Besides being faster in the infield, it was faster in the straights, too. But no point-by, for various reasons. I remember being right on people's bumpers on the straight away. Flashing high beams at certain parts of turns where spectators would see it. Bringing my car to full stops on the straights, to try to show them over and over again that they needed to get out of the way.

But pride.

So again I super appreciate what you're doing here. I hope you get a chance to crush these fools at your next event!

BTW, have you heard of EV West? I wonder if they could swap in a Tesla motor for you? That would be a conversation starter for your future campaigns!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nice job! This is just in the interest of helping out. Not trying to be snobbish, but I think you mean "Dual Motor". "Duel Motor" would indicate that the motors are working against each other or "fighting" each other.

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's really cool what you have done to the bolt. One thing I don't understand is why do you use heavy spacers for your wheels when you can get wheels with the correct bcd and offset and save weight.
I know the weight of the spacers are located centrally at the hub so has less effect, but it is still unsprung mass.

Fastwheels sells some lightweight wheels made specifically for the bolt.
They have the FC04 which is flow formed in 17x8 which is less than 17 lbs. They are available in et45 and et35 offset. et45 offset weighs 16.2 lbs verified on my scale. That would be the best for your racing and would save you lots of unsprung mass.
https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=fc04&fn=titanium

If you want something more aero, they have the ev01+ in 17x7. I was told from someone that works there that they are around 18 lbs with plastic covers and hardware installed.They are also flow formed.
https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=ev01(+)&fn=titanium

About the charging, I found a company in China that specializes in fast chargers called Setec. They have a 10kw DC fast charger that is compatible with three phase 380v or single phase 240v input.
I saw in their specs that max Amp input in single phase is 30A. I sent them an email to ask if higher Amp was possible in single phase. They said they could provide up to 50-60A in single phase when ordering. This means that using a Tesla 16kw destination charger as an input, you could charge to almost 15kw with this charger. There are several 16kw Tesla destination chargers close to the Sema show. That would be a good option to charge faster between runs. More and more race tracks are starting to have Tesla destination chargers available. You could also use regular 240v 50 Amp outlet.
The charger is not cheap at 2400$, but you could use it anywhere. Since you use the DC plug, you bypass the internal 7.2kw charger of the Bolt and can charge faster if you can find a good input like a Tesla destination charger. They also have a 20kw portable charger, but it is much heavier and bigger. The 10kw one only weighs 16kg.

http://setec-power.com/

20kw charger

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts