Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current owner of a 2017 Bolt, and am very happy with it. I know a lot of owners are happy with their Bolt, but like me, are waiting to see the future BEV offerings from GM sooner than later. What does everyone want to see in the next generation of electric vehicles from GM?

I hope the overall strategy is to have every type of vehicle represented, within reason. The major categories of car, suv, and truck should be offered.

The only thing I would want, that would tear me away from the Bolt, would be a sort of dream suv.
Something with at least two motors to drive all wheels when needed automatically, that would have a rear cargo area that transforms to a pickup when needed like the Chevy Avalanche, with a full capability to run 110 v and be a sort of home backup generator. Also, it would be able to be used to hook up to a camper, and provide power to it if needed for camping.

It would have a suspension that uses air to raise and lower the ride height automatically and manually, and have the cameras activate and record on demand for off road fun and review. Off road lighting would be integrated into the body and be flush mounted for protection and aerodynamics.

The seats would have a factory fitted, removable zippered seat “cover” that would come off for cleaning, mainly on the surface with zippers connecting them to a finished underside. Also, the same option would open up an accessory GM could make to change your seat color / style / fabric in the future.

The lighting on the exterior / interior would feature fixtures in certain places, that could pop out and be used remotely with a wire attached that recoils back.
And last, but not least, it would have an overall look, like the stillborn Hummer H4 general look...

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
For myself, I would pretty much just want something similar to the Volt but without the ICE. I like sedans, and can't see why they're so passée.

If they could give me a Volt body with a Bolt motor/battery and Impala interior, I'd be set. I would trade comfort and straight-line speed for Tesla style gadgetry any day. I only need 3 things - for the car to be nice enough to drive all day and pass with confidence, decent range, and Android Auto.

For my wife, the Bolt EUV seems like it'll do the trick, provided we don't reproduce again and need space for a stroller in the back. Comparable space to a Honda CR-V would be the main thing. Everything else is just minutia.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
One nice feature would be to upgrade the rectifier for L2 charging. 32A is ok at 7-8KW. Having 40A (8-10 KW) would be even better to maximize charging when charging on NEMA 14-50 at RV parks. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
A small to mid-size sporty RWD two door (2 seater, or 2 + 2) with retractable hard top, 150 KW charging with no taper until 80%, and 250 miles of range at 75 mph (with the top up).

Keith
How much would you be willing to pay for this?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
119 Posts
I look at the parade of upcoming SUVs, CUVs and pickups that Audi, Ford, GM, Nissan, Rivian, Tesla and VW have shown off (at least for the US market) and I just get depressed.

Whatever happened to small, fun vehicles? Yes, there's the new Mini (125 mile range in 2020 - are you kidding me?). Otherwise, crickets.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
... and don't forget Mazda's upcoming MX. It's been custom designed to suck like an ICE while having short range. It'd be quite an experience... can't put a price on experience! ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
How much would you be willing to pay for this?

ga2500ev
Depends on the performance specs.

0-60 in the 6.5 second range and 1/4 mile in 14.5 with good handling? $35K

0-60 in 4.5 sec and 1/4 mile in 12.5 with good handling? $45K

More performance than that? More $$$

This is why trim levels are a good thing :)

My actual concern is getting the performance I want in a small enough package to be sporty... that is why I included a 2+2 configuration instead of restricting it to a 2 seater.

Keith

·
Registered
419 Posts
A small to mid-size sporty RWD two door (2 seater, or 2 + 2) with retractable hard top, 150 KW charging with no taper until 80%, and 250 miles of range at 75 mph (with the top up).

Keith
I wish I could more than just "like" this. You nailed it for me. I long for a small, low, and fun 2-door coupe. It MUST be 2 door, so that the B-pillar is far enough back. 4 doors just aren't as comfortable (for the driver at least). If the performance matched the Bolt, I would be more than happy. I want something I can throw around mountain curves, not take to the drag strip.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think GM is putting the Volt technology out to pasture a little too soon. I'd like to see that drive train in a small or mid size SUV.
Agreed. As batteries improve, move the Voltec up to the larger vehicles. Those are the ones which require huge batteries for good BEV range. And BEVs can trail behind with the smaller / more efficient vehicles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Depends on the performance specs.

0-60 in the 6.5 second range and 1/4 mile in 14.5 with good handling? $35K

0-60 in 4.5 sec and 1/4 mile in 12.5 with good handling? $45K

More performance than that? More $$$

This is why trim levels are a good thing :)

My actual concern is getting the performance I want in a small enough package to be sporty... that is why I included a 2+2 configuration instead of restricting it to a 2 seater.

Keith
I always ask because many want the entire world packed into an EV but are unwilling to pay for the specs. For wider adoption and for opportunities for automakers to get a profit using economies of scale, lower range more moderatedly speced autos need to come out. Chevy sells over a quarter million Equinoxes. There needs to be an Equinox EV in the price range as a mid to upper trim ICE, which is right at $30k. If that takes a smaller battery, a bit less performance, and moderate charging (above 50 kW though) to accomplish, that is a direction that GM needs to look to.

But it's already looking like a failure. They are planning to rebrand Hummer, likely bringing out sub par products and first generation Hummer prices.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I look at the parade of upcoming SUVs, CUVs and pickups that Audi, Ford, GM, Nissan, Rivian, Tesla and VW have shown off (at least for the US market) and I just get depressed.

Whatever happened to small, fun vehicles? Yes, there's the new Mini (125 mile range in 2020 - are you kidding me?). Otherwise, crickets.
Well the teaser in this new ad for designers in China for a new Tesla may be to your liking.

Certainly this is not what it will end up being but it's a catalyst

·
Registered
614 Posts
Remember the Chevy Jolt spoof? In a world where many manufacturers have completely abandoned coupes, it would sell.

Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts