Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinion article from Bloomberg that suggests the best model for public EV charging infrastructure is not the gas stations + fast food restaurants at every exit, but larger developments like Buc-ee's in Texas that combine a fuel with "massive" retail and food stores for longer stops.

The idea is that if most people are charging at home or work, the need for public refueling shifts to long distance trips. For a charging infrastructure provider, profitability requires massive scale - large sites off of major highways that attract a lot of motorists for a longer period of time. So cheap real estate along well-traveled corridors.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree. This is how I remember it to be on the NY State Thruway. You have large "rest stop" areas with all the amenities you need. You also need large number of fast chargers, like the 32-100 charger sites that Tesla has. Going up and down the 5 freeway in CA is easy in a Tesla because of the large SC sites in Santa Clarita, Harris Ranch, Kettleman, Firebough, etc. I'm waiting for some state like NY to dump 50 DCFC chargers in locations like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, and then all the way down to NYC. Throw a few more locations in the Southern Tier and up near the Adirondacks and call it a day. I'd be confident in knowing I'd never have to wait to charge if I knew at least 50 stalls were waiting for me at each stop.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
The holy grail of travel to me is efficiency. In that way, being able to Eat, Pee, and Charge at a single location would be ideal. If rest stops were expanded to accomplish EPC, that would be the perfect solution... I haven't committed to that acronym yet, so suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
97 Posts
Every 50 miles ( maybe 75) as a min. Have more then that in most of south Fl. A lot on turnpike.
At one stop there was 7 Tesla’s on thier side, and just me in the poor peoples row of 8 stations

·
Registered
324 Posts
Stupid Buc-ee don't even have window squeegees but I can't refuse the brisket sandwich. Loves and maybe Flying J are already installing EV chargers along with a few others. They will be installing big rig chargers soon. Would be more effective to just pay Tesla. Telsa already has them spread out where most of the need exists.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Buc-ee's is evil. Flying J, Love's, TA and Pilot are great. I did write to a few travel stops asking if there were any plans for ev charging. No reply from any.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The State of Michigan has been against using the existing rest areas as a spot for charging, instead trying to encourage EV owners to visit state parks which are not along the route of travel. So far the DCFC network in Michigan has been left up to individuals to take on installation with rebates back from the energy providers to offset their costs.

What this has done is create a numerous amount of DCFC stations, in places that are not often visited. Travel around this state is being limited as the infrastructure has no plan.

There are existing rest areas already on the interstate system, why are they not being utilized? Instead we get individual gas stations which put in two DCFC units along some random highway exit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are existing rest areas already on the interstate system, why are they not being utilized? Instead we get individual gas stations which put in two DCFC units along some random highway exit.
I agree with you, and still think that can be part of the plan, but someone, somewhere, made the point that interstate rest areas have restrictions on what things get sold and how they can do it. I would think that whatever process allows the vending machine contracts could be applied here though. Good lord, think of the hassle trying to set this up and needing a vendor contract with the federal government in addition to everything else. The bureaucracy is strong with this one...

Since they are often remotely located - that's part of why they exist to start with - it can be tough to get that kind of electric infrastructure to the site, so installation would be more expensive than at a typical interchange.

Not impossible, or even implausible, but more effort than finding land or leasing space at an existing interchange and private companies will take the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
DCFC should be at Travel Centers and L2 a plenty at rest areas... this way, you have a lot of time to rest. :)

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Rest areas should be handled like ports (airports). The state owns the property, but contracts with vendors to provide food and charging. It could be cost-neutral to the state if done correctly, and the bathrooms might even be possible to privatize, or at least have the cost of maintaining them be covered by the vendor fees.

If there was one place where DCFC could break even on cost, it would be rest stops. People might be willing to pay a premium for the convenience too.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Would be more effective to just pay Tesla. Telsa already has them spread out where most of the need exists.
Except restrooms and snacks at Tesla SC locations can be hit or miss. Most amenities aren't open 24/7. Having chargers at Loves, etc is better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. This is how I remember it to be on the NY State Thruway. You have large "rest stop" areas with all the amenities you need. You also need large number of fast chargers, like the 32-100 charger sites that Tesla has. Going up and down the 5 freeway in CA is easy in a Tesla because of the large SC sites in Santa Clarita, Harris Ranch, Kettleman, Firebough, etc. I'm waiting for some state like NY to dump 50 DCFC chargers in locations like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, and then all the way down to NYC. Throw a few more locations in the Southern Tier and up near the Adirondacks and call it a day. I'd be confident in knowing I'd never have to wait to charge if I knew at least 50 stalls were waiting for me at each stop.
NY Is doing this now. Half of the rest stops are currently under renovation and charging stations are being added. Granted, the quantity of ports at each rest stop is minimal, it's better than nothing at this point. The NY Power Authority is also building stations every 50 miles along major routes, many to be done before the end of 2021. Evolve New York, Electric Charging Stations Near Me, Electric Car Incentives (nypa.gov)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I peeked at going to Michigan and looking for L3. A few stores have them and more on the way.

Agreed that Tesla may have some poor locations but who knows, Build next to them opportunity?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A good argument was made against this. Having few, but large charging locations just calls for congestion. Everyone will flock to those locations and they will be overwhelmed on busy travel days. Not to mention the concentration of power. Imagine 100 EVs all charging at 100kW (which I consider the minimum for mainstream). That's 10MW! That is an immense amount of power. You'd almost need a co-located power source.

Instead, having smaller 10-charger locations at every exit gives lots of choice and flexibility. If this one is full, you probably have enough charge to make it to the next one. If you don't, wait in line and those that do will move on (making lines shorter). It also gives you much more flexibility in travel routes. You can also stop when and where you choose to stop rather than having to push to the next charging depot. With the large centralized locations, you end up travelling from travel plaza to travel plaza. Much like you'd have layovers on a long flight. Depending on how far off the beaten path you are traveling, this could add a lot of miles to your driving!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
NY Is doing this now. Half of the rest stops are currently under renovation and charging stations are being added. Granted, the quantity of ports at each rest stop is minimal, it's better than nothing at this point. The NY Power Authority is also building stations every 50 miles along major routes, many to be done before the end of 2021. Evolve New York, Electric Charging Stations Near Me, Electric Car Incentives (nypa.gov)
Yes, EVolve NY is a good first step. They just opened their 8th in the state (in Syracuse) and have 7 more under construction. I expect to see 12-15 locations by the end of 2021. They will probably double that again in 2022. Although most of the locations only have 4 chargers, so they may quickly become overwhelmed if people start really travelling in non-Tesla EVs.

As for the Thruway, they are renovating every single service plaza, to include a few (about 4-6) chargers at each. They are doing it in stages - right now they closed every other stop from NYC to Buffalo and back. Once those are complete, they will do the same with the other ones. Again, with only 4-6 chargers, I suspect these will very quickly become overwhelmed by the time they are done renovating the last one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buc-ee's is evil. Flying J, Love's, TA and Pilot are great. I did write to a few travel stops asking if there were any plans for ev charging. No reply from any.
Love's and EA have a partnership.

Some have DC charges installed already.

I really still wish hotels all had L2 charging. That's cheap and easy. Heck even some L1 would make my life easier. On a Vegas to LA run, that last 14kWh on an overnight L1 charge from 80%, saves a charging stop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts