Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't like having my garage door opener clipped to my sun visor, so I've wanted to find a more permanent installation for it inside my Bolt. I've had the Homelink option in other cars but the Bolt doesn't offer that. Yes, there are add-on options for Homelink, but I was looking for something simple.

So, I decided to pop open the garage door remote, remove the little circuit board and solder an "extension" button to the on-board button on the circuit board. I then placed the circuit board inside my Bolt's overhead console (so that it's mounted high up in the car for better range) and mounted the extension button in the panel that houses the cigarette lighter/12v plug. (See photos.)

I bought short leads with M/F mating connectors and soldered them to the extension button and door opener circuit board, then made a long extension cable with mating connectors. I ran the extension cable under the dash, up the door jamb, and across the headliner into the overhead console compartment. I stuck the circuit board to the inside of the overhead console with Velcro dots. This way I can get to it easily to change its battery when needed.

I got the button (momentary contact) and the connector leads from Amazon. The leads are sold as M/F connectors for LED light strips. The buttons were 10 for $8.99, the leads were 20 pairs for $6.99. I also bought a couple of spools of 22 gauge hook-up wire for the extension cable. The buttons are really cheap: when I soldered the wire onto the button contacts, I just barely touched my soldering iron to the contact and the plastic immediately softened and allowed the contact to move, but not enough to affect operation. Just had to solder quick and get out!

I first thought about mounting the extension button in one of the three dummy buttons below the infotainment screen in my Bolt, but gave up on that idea as the dummies were hard to remove plus I couldn't see how to easily gain access to them from behind to run wires, etc.

The button install works great and that remote thingy is no longer hanging off my visor!

See attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was just thinking of what ProfessorBolta did, but with the remote hanging INSIDE the cubby so only the clip was visible. That way only the clip was visible while the remote was hidden. Heck, if you want to keep the clip hidden too, maybe a dot or two of velcro to hold it inside the cubby. Too much velcro and it'd be a pain to remove to replace the battery.

Also, why did you tap into the OnStar power? Wouldn't just tapping off the 12V cigarette lighter be easier? Sure, you have to make sure the car is on to use the garage door opener, but wouldn't the car be on anyway since that's the point of having the remote inside the car: to conveniently close/open it in to move the car in/out?

EDIT: Sorry, I had assumed you were tapping into OnStar power. Now I re-read and see you were putting the battery in a convenient place. Leaving my ignorance in place for shaming purposes.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I didn't like having my garage door opener clipped to my sun visor, so I've wanted to find a more permanent installation for it inside my Bolt. I've had the Homelink option in other cars but the Bolt doesn't offer that. Yes, there are add-on options for Homelink, but I was looking for something simple.

So, I decided to pop open the garage door remote, remove the little circuit board and solder an "extension" button to the on-board button on the circuit board. I then placed the circuit board inside my Bolt's overhead console (so that it's mounted high up in the car for better range) and mounted the extension button in the panel that houses the cigarette lighter/12v plug. (See photos.)

I bought short leads with M/F mating connectors and soldered them to the extension button and door opener circuit board, then made a long extension cable with mating connectors. I ran the extension cable under the dash, up the door jamb, and across the headliner into the overhead console compartment. I stuck the circuit board to the inside of the overhead console with Velcro dots. This way I can get to it easily to change its battery when needed.

I got the button (momentary contact) and the connector leads from Amazon. The leads are sold as M/F connectors for LED light strips. The buttons were 10 for $8.99, the leads were 20 pairs for $6.99. I also bought a couple of spools of 22 gauge hook-up wire for the extension cable. The buttons are really cheap: when I soldered the wire onto the button contacts, I just barely touched my soldering iron to the contact and the plastic immediately softened and allowed the contact to move, but not enough to affect operation. Just had to solder quick and get out!

I first thought about mounting the extension button in one of the three dummy buttons below the infotainment screen in my Bolt, but gave up on that idea as the dummies were hard to remove plus I couldn't see how to easily gain access to them from behind to run wires, etc.

The button install works great and that remote thingy is no longer hanging off my visor!

See attached photos.
Great low cost DIY solution! Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
For those that are willing to do this level of work, or willing to pay someone to, there is a solution from Homelink. It's the Homelink module kit. It costs $250 and can be installed with about the same level of effort the OP illustrated. The bezels come in either black, grey or tan. This will give you full Homelink functionality for those that really miss this feature.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For those that are willing to do this level of work, or willing to pay someone to, there is a solution from Homelink. It's the Homelink module kit. It costs $250 and can be installed with about the same level of effort the OP illustrated. The bezels come in either black, grey or tan. This will give you full Homelink functionality for those that really miss this feature.
Homelink is popular on this forum, could somebody who likes it give us a rundown? Is it just buying the hardware or do they want a subscription fee? Trolling their website it appears to be hardware for the door, lights, etc and I don't see a fee.

The module kit looks pretty good, would be nice to put something useful there. I saw a diagram somewhere where that dummy button block is just held in with clips, so theoretically it should be easy to pull out and replace.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I liked HomeLink, to be sure, but to open the garage door, how is $250 better than $3 of hook-loop tape? (Besides hidden beneath the Infotainment console, just under the cup holders is another convenient, out-of-sight location.)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Homelink is popular on this forum, could somebody who likes it give us a rundown? Is it just buying the hardware or do they want a subscription fee? Trolling their website it appears to be hardware for the door, lights, etc and I don't see a fee.

The module kit looks pretty good, would be nice to put something useful there. I saw a diagram somewhere where that dummy button block is just held in with clips, so theoretically it should be easy to pull out and replace.
I never had Homelink, but I think it's just about opening and closing garage doors, gates and turning on and off exterior lights. You can user assign the buttons to which ever task you want them to do. It's nice I guess because there is no loose remote, no batteries to change and it's more secure because it only works with the car turned on. With the traditional remote, if a criminal gains access to your parked car, they can also gain access to your home.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I liked HomeLink, to be sure, but to open the garage door, how is $250 better than $3 of hook-loop tape? (Besides hidden beneath the Infotainment console, just under the cup holders is another convenient, out-of-sight location.)
It's not much better. It is just a cleaner, more professional looking approach. It also frees you from having to change batteries and is somewhat more secure. Is it worth $250 plus install for that? I guess it is up to the individual. I do think the kit is overpriced for what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts

See attached photos.
Very clean install! Did you consider putting everything in overhead console and avoid having to run wire? I was thinking about installing a switch in one of the dummy buttons on dash, too, but not confident on how to safely remove without breaking anything. They sure look and feel like they should pop-out, though. Anyway, great DIY write-up, thanks!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Many years ago, I took a garage door remote apart and soldered across the push-button contacts, so it was always "on". I then removed the batteries and soldered wires to their contacts, with a resistor in series with the + battery side, and put the thing back together. I then hooked the wires across one of the "brights" bulbs under the hood with those "clamp-on" type connectors. I then routed the wires and zip-tied the remote close to the front of the grill.

Opens the garage door by hitting the "brights". Easy-peasy, (if you're an early adopter nerd like me).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts