Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I have an electrician coming to take a look. I am inclined to have him hard-wire the Juicebox, and take the receptacle out entirely.
Hardwiring the unit would solve the problem, but I would check with them about the warranty.

When the faulty plug on ours overheated, I suggested to the Juicebox folks that I buy a 14-50 plug locally, with screw terminals, and replace it myself. They said no, that would void the warranty, and they sent a replacement unit, which failed in a month with a bad relay.

I would think using a certified electrician would prevent a warranty problem, but I would want to make certain.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Pointless waste of time.
No it isn't. There could be damage elsewhere that is unseen. So as I said before...

Get the Bolt checked out anyways.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
How is an overheated plug on the EVSE going to damage the Bolt? It would have no more effect than a coffee maker burning up in your garage. If the smoke wasn't bad enough to prevent him from unplugging the car, and driving it out, it (the smoke) certainly hasn't damaged the car

You seem to be suggesting that the car somehow caused the EVSE plug to overheat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes it was. He did the right thing to save his house.

Other probably would have posted on Facebook or this forum asking for advice. That would have been stupid.
No. What I meant was - maybe he should’ve just rolled it out. Something burning in there and you fire the car up, maybe you create a larger problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Heck with the house. Save the Bolt!
No. You’re getting the car out almost as fast ... without energizing it.

I mean - I’m talking about someone who’s able, too. If you’re over 50 years old, maybe too much for you.

I’m sure I wouldn’t have had any problem pushing a little commuter car out of my garage after the door fully opened.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yeah, there's quite a risk of going into a possibly burning car and driving it. Perhaps step 1 should have been to shut off the main breaker...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20. If I did not see flames coming out of the car I would have driven out of garage (if it moved ) too. Last thing I need is a lithium fireball in my basement garage. Risky? Sure, so is doing nothing until the fire dept. arrives. That is why AI sucks and they human mind doesn't. Snap decisions in milli-seconds based on experience, not algorithms.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Actually, after the smoke cleared, i plugged the car back in by running the plug cable out to the driveway. The plug from my Juicebox40 into the wall receptacle started smoking right away. It is melted and charred.
This is exactly why the OEM EVSE that comes with the Bolt has a temperature sensor in its AC plug. It's all too possible for an outlet to be inadequately wired for a constant high current draw, and you never find out about it until you plug in something that makes a high demand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update!

Actually, after the smoke cleared, i plugged the car back in by running the plug cable out to the driveway. The plug from my Juicebox40 into the wall receptacle started smoking right away. It is melted and charred. Good news, the Bolt is fine. Bad news, my charger almost burned my house down. Any insights anyone? Thanks to Mike for his quick help
Many times in my career as an electrician I have seen internal screws in high amperage plugs burn up. I don't know why. It didn't smoke until the car drew current, so thats when the heating started. You might just be able to put a new plug on the cord. I don't think the charger itself is the problem. I can't tell from here of course, but not a very expensive test. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd bet a loose wire in the outlet caused it to arc and fry the outlet. Second option is the charger is at fault. The chances that the car is the cause are between slim and none. Get an electrician to check the outlet (NOT the one who installed it), and see if there was an issue with the outlet and/or installation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update!

Actually, after the smoke cleared, i plugged the car back in by running the plug cable out to the driveway. The plug from my Juicebox40 into the wall receptacle started smoking right away. It is melted and charred. Good news, the Bolt is fine. Bad news, my charger almost burned my house down. Any insights anyone? Thanks to Mike for his quick help
I have found that constant plugging and unplugging has a tendency to wear out the receptacle. (Refering to the NEMA 14-50, not the J1772.) Also dirt and grease can increase the resistance, which in turn generates heat. I would replace the NEMA 14-50 plug (or have an electrician do so if you are not comfortable with electrical work.) Definately check out the condition of the wires when you do the replacement. Also, make sure the circuit breaker is no more than 50A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the on-board charger is not overheated, then maybe a lose wiring somewhere else in the car.
Had the same happen to me. It was the 6-50 outlet that my versicharge plugged into. Melted the outlet and fused the charger plug to the outlet. When I finally got everything disassembled it was obvious that one of the wires was loose. Took 2 years to fail. I did the wiring for the outlet so no one to blame but me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
please let us know what caused the problem. Was it a poor quality plug on the JuiceBox or a faulty 14-50 outlet? Glad nobody was hurt and it sounds like there was minimal property damage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2017 Bolt has been trouble-free for 75000KM (45000 miles?) Today after a short run, I plugged it into my L2 40amp charger. The car is always on hilltop reserve to prolong battery life.

An hour after coming home, my wife noticed a burning smell. The garage was full of smoke. In a panic, I drove the car out onto the driveway before really identifying where the smoke was originating. Out in the fresh air, the car appears in perfect running order, no error messages, nothing wrong.

I will ask my dealer tomorrow, but would be curious if I am the only one who has had this issue....
This just happened to me as well after 2 years with my outlet. It’s a Leviton 6-50 and the backside melted off and ruined the chargers plug as well. I had to replace the outlet, wall box, and charger plug with a welder plug. It’s is back working now and I upgraded the outlet to an Eaton glass reinforced nylon plug which is rated for heavier duty applications. In the high heat of the summer I don’t think the dryer outlets from a local store are up to the task of 32amps for 8 hours. Changed my charging habits as well instead of plugging up and charging while I sleep I am only charging while awake. Also I am adding a smoke detector above the charger.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Had the same happen to me. It was the 6-50 outlet that my versicharge plugged into. Melted the outlet and fused the charger plug to the outlet. When I finally got everything disassembled it was obvious that one of the wires was loose. Took 2 years to fail. I did the wiring for the outlet so no one to blame but me.
2 years? Perhaps it is a good idea to turn off the breaker and tighten the wires once a year. Very possible the heat/cool cycle over the 2 years caused the screw to come undone.

Reactions: GJETSON

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update!

I’d replace the juicebox not just the cord. Check with juicebox?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2017 Bolt has been trouble-free for 75000KM (45000 miles?) Today after a short run, I plugged it into my L2 40amp charger. The car is always on hilltop reserve to prolong battery life.

An hour after coming home, my wife noticed a burning smell. The garage was full of smoke. In a panic, I drove the car out onto the driveway before really identifying where the smoke was originating. Out in the fresh air, the car appears in perfect running order, no error messages, nothing wrong.

I will ask my dealer tomorrow, but would be curious if I am the only one who has had this issue....
Sorry to be ignorant- but what is a “Hilltop charge”? Your L2 probably fried due to incorrect wire size or plug. Just a thought.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts