Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
No it isn't. There could be damage elsewhere that is unseen. So as I said before...

Get the Bolt checked out anyways.
If the Bolt is working fine and no visible wires in the car have any damage, what is a dealer going to do?
Lay Hands upon the car and give it thoughts and prayers?

The JuiceBox plug and the outlet BOTH got really hot. They both need to be replaced.
Trim back the heat damaged wires and install the new connections.
Hopefully you will have enough good wire in the outlet box to trim out any damaged wires.

These connections have Pins and Sockets. (we no longer call them male and female....):cool:.
It is the socket that provides the 'Pin Grip'. (I could use hand gestures , but you get it...);)
Use, dirt and heat can make the 'Pin Grip' get weaker and less conductive and then high heat results.

Use the best quality outlet and plug. Not the cheapest kind from the Depot.
It's not Rocket Surgery to replace these, but if you don't feel comfortable, call in a Pro.

Hard wiring it is an option but then if the EVSE ever fails you have to call in the electrician again just to disconnect it so you can replace it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The JuiceBox plug and the outlet BOTH got really hot. They both need to be replaced.
place it.
The OP said nothing about the outlet getting hot. He said the plug was charred. If he has the same problem I had, with faulty connections in the molded plug, the plug got hot, and the outlet may be just fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This may not apply in the OP's case but just an FYI since we're on the subject. I've seen info that the Leviton 240v outlets are garbage and you should use Cooper or a couple of other brands that escapes me. The part that contacts the blades on the plug is noticeably smaller on the Leviton outlets. If I can find the info I'll post it, but it was a page that compared all the plugs and had pics. Maybe someone else remembers or has a link.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what I was thinking about, I thought it was a web site and not a forum, but in the pics here you can see what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
349 Posts
This has been talked about in other threads but the Juice Box is not UL approved. Any home appliance according to the NEC is supposed to be listed and labeled if plugged into house mains. I know people have a million excuses why this is not necessary but those are the facts. Has Juice box been contacted about this recent event?

·
Registered
584 Posts
OP is doing the right thing: getting an electrician to look it all over. The electrician can confirm the gauge of wire used, outlet, connections, breaker, Juicebox connection, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Even if the high heat began at the wire to pin connection inside the molded plug, that smoking hot heat got to the wall outlet also.
It would be easy and preventative to replace the wall outlet at the same time.

Pin Grip!

It is actually measured in avionics.

Reactions: Pvillerob

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow you guys...just wow. Some real... talking points in this thread.

So listen, those molded over rubber plugs are full of god knows. All you can do is HOPE that they're crimped correctly, and most of them seemingly are, but you actually literally never know, and my guess is that they probably don't even test these things for continuity before they leave the factory. And as for the wire? Again, who knows what the insulation is rated to? Or if half the strands are polyester instead of copper? Or the conductor is 12 AWG and covered in mile thick insulation? Over-molded plugs are a cheap, commodity item.

Premium quality, industrial NEMA plugs can cost between $50 and $100 for just the plug, and for good reason. They're really well made and **** near bullet proof. It's not "Just because they can charge more money" and the 6 AWG high temperature wire that's appropriate for the load can cost almost $6 a foot. Zowie! Cheaper than a house though.

Regarding UL listing? I'll betchya that the PLUG that burned up has a nice big fat UL stamp on it, whether it's legit or not is another question entirely. You can buy UL stickers, hologram and everything on Alibaba. And UL listing is nice, but it's no guarantee against a QC problem or especially an error-free install. If Juicebox tried to get UL certification, they wouldn't have been dinged for the plug.

Oh, and a little story about J1772 plugs while we're talking about QC problems. Over the course of 5 years I had a Dostar 32A plug where one of the crimps in to the main power pins came loose. Hard to say how, but after an hour or two, the handle was getting toasty. The wire was so loose that it just popped out of the crimp on the pin. And I just shoved it back in, and soldered it. Cool as a cucumber now, but it could have ended badly for the car, with a nice fire right at the charge port. Kind of makes me think there should be thermistors everywhere, and yeah, no harm in checking screw tightness every once in a while. The only reason I noticed my problem was because I usually grab the handles and plugs every once in a while just for a health checkup. I'd encourage everybody do this once in a while, after the car has been plugged in for an hour or so.

Here's my unsolicited advice for the original poster

Get rid of that outlet and plug. Both. If the plug cooked off, then the outlet took damage too. Either get a good plug and outlet combo, or hardware straight in to the Juicebox, NO WIRE NUTS. Single, continuous wires straight back to the breaker box. (or proper high pressure crimp connections) Properly torque, then recheck after a few cycles, then again after a few weeks, and then whenever you happen to think of it after that. And excellent plan on the smoke alarm. Hopefully it networks in to the house so you can hear it at 3:00 in the morning.

Glad you, your house and your car didn't burn down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The most reliable defense against the house catching on fire is the box. As long as it's a proper electrical box, properly installed, you're safe even though bad connections and burned wire and wire insulation will create a bit of (carcinogenic) smoke. A person could put a thermometer on the box and you could check it occasionally and it would indicate an issue developing with either the receptacle or plug. I have these little devices (called sensor push) that send continuous temp readings to my router where I can then use a phone app to keep track of temperatures in various places. I can set a high and low temp for notification. I think I might stick one on my plug box in the garage, then I would also know the temp in the garage.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pigwich said "And UL listing is nice" No, UL listing is the law, so are you advocating people purposely break the law because it sure sounds like a lame excuse. Of course UL listed equipment can fail as it sometimes does. But you have much better odds in your favor. You are also aware that a box 'o electrical stuff can have every piece in it UL listed but that does not make the entire apparatus UL listed. I think it would be "nice" if everyone drove at whatever speed they wanted, from 80 in a 40 to 160 on the freeway. But guess what, there are laws in society that not only protect you, but perhaps your neighbor in the attached townhouse who is completely innocent as they watch all their dreams and belongings go up in flames because you gotta have that non- listed wi-fi capable EVSE. A might bit dramatic but only to get the point across.

And I agree, a proper installation and box are a good defense as is a smoke detector in the garage. But also look at what people store in their garages. Propane tanks, lawn mowers, gas cans, paint cans etc.

Juice Box, as big as they are could have UL listing by now but they choose to market their company as being the vendors to other companies that are UL listed and thereby being
OK by association. Talk about deceptive advertisiing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pigwich said "And UL listing is nice" No, UL listing is the law, so are you advocating people purposely break the law because it sure sounds like a lame excuse. Of course UL listed equipment can fail as it sometimes does. But you have much better odds in your favor. You are also aware that a box 'o electrical stuff can have every piece in it UL listed but that does not make the entire apparatus UL listed. I think it would be "nice" if everyone drove at whatever speed they wanted, from 80 in a 40 to 160 on the freeway. But guess what, there are laws in society that not only protect you, but perhaps your neighbor in the attached townhouse who is completely innocent as they watch all their dreams and belongings go up in flames because you gotta have that non- listed wi-fi capable EVSE. A might bit dramatic but only to get the point across.

And I agree, a proper installation and box are a good defense as is a smoke detector in the garage. But also look at what people store in their garages. Propane tanks, lawn mowers, gas cans, paint cans etc.

Juice Box, as big as they are could have UL listing by now but they choose to market their company as being the vendors to other companies that are UL listed and thereby being
OK by association. Talk about deceptive advertisiing.
The current generation of JuiceBox evse’s are UL certified, per their website. Mine has the seal on the label. Is JuiceBox UL Listed or certified?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The current generation of JuiceBox evse’s are UL certified, per their website. Mine has the seal on the label. Is JuiceBox UL Listed or certified?
We ordered our Juicebox40 the first week of August 2017. While it was in transit they announced they were now going to be UL approved. I emailed them, and they sent us a replacement UL approved model and we shipped the other one back as soon as it arrived. The UL listing didn't prevent their vendor from producing a faulty plug, nor the faulty relay in the next one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We ordered our Juicebox40 the first week of August 2017. While it was in transit they announced they were now going to be UL approved. I emailed them, and they sent us a replacement UL approved model and we shipped the other one back as soon as it arrived. The UL listing didn't prevent their vendor from producing a faulty plug, nor the faulty relay in the next one.
Yes, the system is not perfect by any means. I still unplug my UL toaster oven when I go away for long trips because in ancient times there were reports of them catching on fire. My best friend lost his first girlfriend in high school when the TV caught on fire and killed the whole family. I seem to recall a couple of Boeing aircraft that crashed that were FAA approved. Companies cut corners to make more money and hope they can buy their way out of law suits. For all I know people at UL can be bought off for a few bucks. Just saying UL is the code for EVSEs. Electricity is darn hard to keep inside of wires so you may as well start out with any advantage you can get. I was wrong about Juicebox, maybe I was thinking of another company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update!

Actually, after the smoke cleared, i plugged the car back in by running the plug cable out to the driveway. The plug from my Juicebox40 into the wall receptacle started smoking right away. It is melted and charred. Good news, the Bolt is fine. Bad news, my charger almost burned my house down. Any insights anyone? Thanks to Mike for his quick help
this happens from time to time if you have a high current draw and your plug is loose or dirty.
you will need to examine the plug and outlet and likely change both also check the wire it may be damaged and some of it needs to be replaced or shortened. I'll bet the evse is ok.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm now on my THIRD JuiceBox Pro 40. My first stopped working--not sure why--after one year. My second burned through its internal wiring after about one year as well. My electrician, after inspecting my whole line and fuse box, opened up the Juicebox and the internal wiring was partially melted. I'm now on my third. If the third goes I will be out of warranty and not buying a fourth. But I do like the product and it's connectivity.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts