Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Garage full of smoke

17K views 97 replies 37 participants last post by  redpoint5 
#1 ·
My 2017 Bolt has been trouble-free for 75000KM (45000 miles?) Today after a short run, I plugged it into my L2 40amp charger. The car is always on hilltop reserve to prolong battery life.

An hour after coming home, my wife noticed a burning smell. The garage was full of smoke. In a panic, I drove the car out onto the driveway before really identifying where the smoke was originating. Out in the fresh air, the car appears in perfect running order, no error messages, nothing wrong.

I will ask my dealer tomorrow, but would be curious if I am the only one who has had this issue....

#3 · (Edited)
Update!

Actually, after the smoke cleared, i plugged the car back in by running the plug cable out to the driveway. The plug from my Juicebox40 into the wall receptacle started smoking right away. It is melted and charred. Good news, the Bolt is fine. Bad news, my charger almost burned my house down. Any insights anyone? Thanks to Mike for his quick help

#35 ·
Had the same happen to me. It was the 6-50 outlet that my versicharge plugged into. Melted the outlet and fused the charger plug to the outlet. When I finally got everything disassembled it was obvious that one of the wires was loose. Took 2 years to fail. I did the wiring for the outlet so no one to blame but me.

#10 ·
I am using this one since June... my charge sessions are only 1-2 hours and I leave it plugged in. My OEM EVSE is in the cargo area with the plug adapters.

How old is your 14-50 plug? How many time do you connect/disconnect? Maybe you need to install a new outlet?

#11 ·
How old is your 14-50 plug? How many time do you connect/disconnect? Maybe you need to install a new outlet?
I can't speak for jdornan, but our 14-50 plug was less than a year old, and had been unplugged perhaps three times. Our outlet is perfect. The plug was defective from the factory. I would certainly pull the outlet cover plate, and check the screw terminals to assure they are tight, but my hunch is there is no charring on the outlet.

#22 ·
Thanks to everyone. I have an electrician coming to take a look. I am inclined to have him hard-wire the Juicebox, and take the receptacle out entirely.
Hardwiring the unit would solve the problem, but I would check with them about the warranty.

When the faulty plug on ours overheated, I suggested to the Juicebox folks that I buy a 14-50 plug locally, with screw terminals, and replace it myself. They said no, that would void the warranty, and they sent a replacement unit, which failed in a month with a bad relay.

I would think using a certified electrician would prevent a warranty problem, but I would want to make certain.

#19 ·
Yeah, instead of adding another post OP edited his earlier post which initially said that he had ruled out the EVSE as the issue. Kind of complicated things for those who don't go back and re-read everything each time the post is opened, and also appears to be an attempt at hiding the part where OP looks somewhat foolish to have initially ruled out what was the actual issue.

#24 ·
How is an overheated plug on the EVSE going to damage the Bolt? It would have no more effect than a coffee maker burning up in your garage. If the smoke wasn't bad enough to prevent him from unplugging the car, and driving it out, it (the smoke) certainly hasn't damaged the car

You seem to be suggesting that the car somehow caused the EVSE plug to overheat.

#29 ·
Hindsight is always 20/20. If I did not see flames coming out of the car I would have driven out of garage (if it moved ) too. Last thing I need is a lithium fireball in my basement garage. Risky? Sure, so is doing nothing until the fire dept. arrives. That is why AI sucks and they human mind doesn't. Snap decisions in milli-seconds based on experience, not algorithms.

#33 ·
I'd bet a loose wire in the outlet caused it to arc and fry the outlet. Second option is the charger is at fault. The chances that the car is the cause are between slim and none. Get an electrician to check the outlet (NOT the one who installed it), and see if there was an issue with the outlet and/or installation.

#36 ·
please let us know what caused the problem. Was it a poor quality plug on the JuiceBox or a faulty 14-50 outlet? Glad nobody was hurt and it sounds like there was minimal property damage.

#37 ·
This just happened to me as well after 2 years with my outlet. It’s a Leviton 6-50 and the backside melted off and ruined the chargers plug as well. I had to replace the outlet, wall box, and charger plug with a welder plug. It’s is back working now and I upgraded the outlet to an Eaton glass reinforced nylon plug which is rated for heavier duty applications. In the high heat of the summer I don’t think the dryer outlets from a local store are up to the task of 32amps for 8 hours. Changed my charging habits as well instead of plugging up and charging while I sleep I am only charging while awake. Also I am adding a smoke detector above the charger.

#43 ·
This may not apply in the OP's case but just an FYI since we're on the subject. I've seen info that the Leviton 240v outlets are garbage and you should use Cooper or a couple of other brands that escapes me. The part that contacts the blades on the plug is noticeably smaller on the Leviton outlets. If I can find the info I'll post it, but it was a page that compared all the plugs and had pics. Maybe someone else remembers or has a link.

#44 ·
I'm not sure if this is what I was thinking about, I thought it was a web site and not a forum, but in the pics here you can see what I'm talking about:

#45 ·
This has been talked about in other threads but the Juice Box is not UL approved. Any home appliance according to the NEC is supposed to be listed and labeled if plugged into house mains. I know people have a million excuses why this is not necessary but those are the facts. Has Juice box been contacted about this recent event?

#47 ·
Even if the high heat began at the wire to pin connection inside the molded plug, that smoking hot heat got to the wall outlet also.
It would be easy and preventative to replace the wall outlet at the same time.

Pin Grip!

It is actually measured in avionics.

Reactions: Pvillerob
#48 ·
Wow you guys...just wow. Some real... talking points in this thread.

So listen, those molded over rubber plugs are full of god knows. All you can do is HOPE that they're crimped correctly, and most of them seemingly are, but you actually literally never know, and my guess is that they probably don't even test these things for continuity before they leave the factory. And as for the wire? Again, who knows what the insulation is rated to? Or if half the strands are polyester instead of copper? Or the conductor is 12 AWG and covered in mile thick insulation? Over-molded plugs are a cheap, commodity item.

Premium quality, industrial NEMA plugs can cost between $50 and $100 for just the plug, and for good reason. They're really well made and **** near bullet proof. It's not "Just because they can charge more money" and the 6 AWG high temperature wire that's appropriate for the load can cost almost $6 a foot. Zowie! Cheaper than a house though.

Regarding UL listing? I'll betchya that the PLUG that burned up has a nice big fat UL stamp on it, whether it's legit or not is another question entirely. You can buy UL stickers, hologram and everything on Alibaba. And UL listing is nice, but it's no guarantee against a QC problem or especially an error-free install. If Juicebox tried to get UL certification, they wouldn't have been dinged for the plug.

Oh, and a little story about J1772 plugs while we're talking about QC problems. Over the course of 5 years I had a Dostar 32A plug where one of the crimps in to the main power pins came loose. Hard to say how, but after an hour or two, the handle was getting toasty. The wire was so loose that it just popped out of the crimp on the pin. And I just shoved it back in, and soldered it. Cool as a cucumber now, but it could have ended badly for the car, with a nice fire right at the charge port. Kind of makes me think there should be thermistors everywhere, and yeah, no harm in checking screw tightness every once in a while. The only reason I noticed my problem was because I usually grab the handles and plugs every once in a while just for a health checkup. I'd encourage everybody do this once in a while, after the car has been plugged in for an hour or so.

Here's my unsolicited advice for the original poster

Get rid of that outlet and plug. Both. If the plug cooked off, then the outlet took damage too. Either get a good plug and outlet combo, or hardware straight in to the Juicebox, NO WIRE NUTS. Single, continuous wires straight back to the breaker box. (or proper high pressure crimp connections) Properly torque, then recheck after a few cycles, then again after a few weeks, and then whenever you happen to think of it after that. And excellent plan on the smoke alarm. Hopefully it networks in to the house so you can hear it at 3:00 in the morning.

Glad you, your house and your car didn't burn down.

#49 ·
The most reliable defense against the house catching on fire is the box. As long as it's a proper electrical box, properly installed, you're safe even though bad connections and burned wire and wire insulation will create a bit of (carcinogenic) smoke. A person could put a thermometer on the box and you could check it occasionally and it would indicate an issue developing with either the receptacle or plug. I have these little devices (called sensor push) that send continuous temp readings to my router where I can then use a phone app to keep track of temperatures in various places. I can set a high and low temp for notification. I think I might stick one on my plug box in the garage, then I would also know the temp in the garage.

#50 ·
Pigwich said "And UL listing is nice" No, UL listing is the law, so are you advocating people purposely break the law because it sure sounds like a lame excuse. Of course UL listed equipment can fail as it sometimes does. But you have much better odds in your favor. You are also aware that a box 'o electrical stuff can have every piece in it UL listed but that does not make the entire apparatus UL listed. I think it would be "nice" if everyone drove at whatever speed they wanted, from 80 in a 40 to 160 on the freeway. But guess what, there are laws in society that not only protect you, but perhaps your neighbor in the attached townhouse who is completely innocent as they watch all their dreams and belongings go up in flames because you gotta have that non- listed wi-fi capable EVSE. A might bit dramatic but only to get the point across.

And I agree, a proper installation and box are a good defense as is a smoke detector in the garage. But also look at what people store in their garages. Propane tanks, lawn mowers, gas cans, paint cans etc.

Juice Box, as big as they are could have UL listing by now but they choose to market their company as being the vendors to other companies that are UL listed and thereby being
OK by association. Talk about deceptive advertisiing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.