Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Garage Water Conditioner receptacle

1461 Views 19 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Eriamjh1138
Just tested my water conditioner outlet in the garage. OEM EVSE lights up. Took a reading and it shows 196v. Have not tested it. Will this work for charging?

See less See more
1 - 2 of 20 Posts
Definitely a 5-20. A 6-20 outlet would have a horizontal slit on the right, not vertical.

196V is highly suspicious. If true (and not a bad meter), that's dangerous on a 5-20 outlet. That's a good way to blow things up. Fortunately, your EVSE and car will be fine, but don't plug in a normal 120V appliance!
Reactions: 1
meter might be fine. but reading across hot and neutral while the device is plugged in might be the issue.
Ok, you've piqued my curiosity. What is going on inside that EVSE that would boost the apparent voltage like that, especially without the car plugged in? I know adding to an active circuit will mess with resistance measurements, but Voltage? Do explain.
1 - 2 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.