Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Energy costs are expected to rise with the government Energy Information Agency forecasting a 9% rise for on-road diesel prices this year and a 7% rise in retail gasoline prices. The tight labor market is expected to result in a 3% rise in wage rates. Interest rates are also rising.

This past week has not only brought higher gas prices but, in addition, the national average finds itself mere days away from rising to the highest level seen in nearly 1,000 days.

Average Price Of US Gas Rises 8 Cents, To $2.74 A Gallon. The highest average prices per gallon last week were reported from California ($3.50); Hawaii ($3.46); Washington ($3.16); Alaska ($3.08); Oregon ($3.04); Nevada ($3.01); Pennsylvania ($2.87); Michigan ($2.77); and Idaho and New York ($2.76).

Swiss investment bank UBS that found geopolitical risk was a driving factor behind the price of oil. In a report emailed to UPI, analysts there raised their 12-month forecast for the price of Brent from $57 per barrel to $62 per barrel.
Question #1 : Does the price of gas still affect consumer views on EV's like it once did?

Question #2 : At what average price/gallon would be reasonable for an EV owner to Gloat? :eek:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Gasoline (and, to a lesser extent, electricity) prices vary widely by location, season, and perceived need (holiday driving). Our gasoline prices are currently $2.69/gal. jumping up 20 cents/gal. in 2 days. They will come back down again. People's memories change more slowly than do gas prices, and I doubt that the gas price at any one point in time affects a person's EV purchase decision at all. Convenience and the average ratio of gas prices to electricity prices may, but not the gas price by itself.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not 6 short years ago, I recall the conversations from many with low-MPG vehicles being skewered by the expense. One neighbor was shelling out $800/Month ($10K/year) to make his Suburban go. It seemed that EV's were no longer a marginalized joke to them anymore. Many traded their V8's in for higher MPG vehicles. Then, after prices came back down in a few years, the same folks went back to low(er)-MPG vehicles.

There is a 'pain point' somewhere?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not 6 short years ago, I recall the conversations from many with low-MPG vehicles being skewered by the expense. One neighbor was shelling out $800/Month ($10K/year) to make his Suburban go. It seemed that EV's were no longer a marginalized joke to them anymore. Many traded their V8's in for higher MPG vehicles. Then, after prices came back down in a few years, the same folks went back to low(er)-MPG vehicles.

There is a 'pain point' somewhere?
I recall these conversations as well. Maybe the "pain point" is somewhere between the $3-3.50/gal threshold?

Would be nice to superimpose a graph of low-MPG/high-MPG vehicle sales over the one you provided to see where the graphs intersect.

·
Registered
678 Posts
As long as the price of battery/solar tech continues to fall, rising gas prices should continue to attract newcomers to the EV world. While the cost of operating an ICE increases, the cost of owning an EV decreases.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The pain threshold begins when regular gas at $3.50 a gallon. You don't need a chart to figure this out.

Most large SUV's and pick up trucks hold anywhere between 26 and 30 gallons per tank and average 350 to 400 miles a tank.

$3.50 x 25 gallons is $87.50 per tank...

It gets really painful when you see the pump turn over at $100 for a fill up.

Any car salesman worth his salt will tell you this.

Do that once a week and you can clearly make a case for the Bolt entering your stable.

But Americans are creatures of habit. If the prices go back down then everything works in reverse.

We've been through this so many times already....when will we learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love our 2005 Tahoe. We bought it new but now have over 261,000 miles on it. We recently lost our more fuel efficient BMW X3 to a head-on crash. After the lawyers are done, a new Bolt will be in the driveway.

With the BMW we put out on average $220/month for fuel. But with the Tahoe it's just over $500.:eek:
For me, the cost of charging a Bolt would be small. There is plenty of high amp 240V outside of my office. My employer has said that I can charge if I buy the EVSE.

The $500 I put in the Tahoe would be more than enough for the payment on a Bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In Ontario It cost me over $170 to fill up my pickup. My Bolt is on order (it takes 10 months to get a Bolt in Ontario).

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
... People's memories change more slowly than do gas prices, and I doubt that the gas price at any one point in time affects a person's EV purchase decision at all. ...
In 2008 a barrel of oil hit $140 and gas prices went over 4 dollars a gallon.

No sir. I did not forget and vowed then and there to buy electric when it became practical and affordable. In comes the Bolt. Took nearly ten years. But I remember and they can keep their oil.

·
Registered
783 Posts
shotel said:
At what average price/gallon would be reasonable for an EV owner to Gloat? :eek:
I gloat all the time, as my electrons come from my solar panels. I specifically sort out the electrons from my solar panels that go directly to my Bolt EV. I choose the best electrons, the most vigorous ones....

·
Registered
783 Posts
In Ontario It cost me over $170 to fill up my pickup. My Bolt is on order (it takes 10 months to get a Bolt in Ontario).
Splutter, splutter.... on all counts. 10 months fgs!! It took me about the time it took to drive to the local dealer and test drive the thing..... I remember it well!

·
Registered
83 Posts
As long as the price of battery/solar tech continues to fall, rising gas prices should continue to attract newcomers to the EV world. While the cost of operating an ICE increases, the cost of owning an EV decreases.
But if the cost of owning an EV decreases, more folks will buy Bolts.

If more people buy Bolts, then ours will not be special - and there will be more people on the forum and that will get confusing - I like you guys - but just You Guys.... :)

I mean, Bolts are already not from "Far Away", (everyone knows that things from "Far Away" are better.), and adding reasonable cost to them will make them common / popular.

Popular and nearby cannot be good. We all know that. For anything to be special, it needs to be unique, expensive, and from Far Away.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Question #1 : Does the price of gas still affect consumer views on EV's like it once did?
Sure it does. Consumers are price sensitive, and the more commonplace EVs are, the more respect the typical consumer will have for them.

Question #2 : At what average price/gallon would be reasonable for an EV owner to Gloat? :eek:
It costs me about 2-3 cents per mile in electricity ($0.08/kWh), and about 6 cents per mile in the Prius (50 MPG). I'd start gloating at anything over $1.50/gal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been gloating for years, ever since I built an electric bicycle with a 60 mile range. I've got a big sign on the back:

"OIL IS FOR SISSIES"

I've also got an electric motorcycle and I love seeing people's jaws literally drop when they ask how much the electricity costs and I tell them 1 penny per mile.
"How much is gas now?" I ask.
"Oh, $3.44 at Costco? Well that means I get the equivalent of 344 miles per gallon."
You can see the wheels turning!

And then there was the Harley rider who asked me how much are tuneups.
"Don't need 'em."
"What? You mean you don't have to tune up that thing?"
"When's the last time you had to tune up your blender?"
More wheels turning.

I also gloat when I feel duty-bound (strictly for EV Public Relations purposes) to do a hole shot away from every stop light if there is any kind of ICE motorcycle around me. An almost silent 0-30 mph in 1.5 seconds really catches attention. A friend observed it and said it looks like when Captain Kirk takes the Enterprise into warp speed. Big gloat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It costs me about 2-3 cents per mile in electricity ($0.08/kWh), and about 6 cents per mile in the Prius (50 MPG). I'd start gloating at anything over $1.50/gal.
Electricity here in New Hampshire is $0.18/kWh, and gas averages $2.57. I won't bother gloating for a while.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts