Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was disturbed by something that happened this morning on my drive to work. My passenger accidently touched the gear selector stalk with his knee while the car was in motion and it shifted from L to D. I discovered it only because the Regen did not come on when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal - as it should in the L mode. I discovered that you can also shift it into N while the car is in motion. So I am now wondering what is the purpose of the button on the left hand side of the stalk which I was asked to press anytime I made a gear mode change. I assumed it was the equivalent of the button on conventional automatic cars. Quite disturbed by this as this is a safety issue. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Jit

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello,

I was disturbed by something that happened this morning on my drive to work. My passenger accidently touched the gear selector stalk with his knee while the car was in motion and it shifted from L to D. I discovered it only because the Regen did not come on when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal - as it should in the L mode. I discovered that you can also shift it into N while the car is in motion. So I am now wondering what is the purpose of the button on the left hand side of the stalk which I was asked to press anytime I made a gear mode change. I assumed it was the equivalent of the button on conventional automatic cars. Quite disturbed by this as this is a safety issue. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Jit
This is normal operation (in all cars). The button is required to shift from park or when changing forward/reverse directions.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
The button on the side is only required for getting out of P, or into R. Trying to do either without the button will cause the chime to scold you.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
D to L or L to D, and D/L to Neutral, without pressing the side button is normal and documented in the manual.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Although to get to neutral you have to hold it up there a second...
I think that is deliberate so you can't accidentally put yourself in Neutral by an accidental jostling of the shifter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[QUOTE Quite disturbed by this as this is a safety issue. [/QUOTE]

Quite the opposite actually. If you could not move the shifter it would be a safety issue. If the accelerator ever sticks, you need to be able to quickly shift the car into neutral.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is normal operation (in all cars). The button is required to shift from park or when changing forward/reverse directions.
My problem is that I am unable to change selector from L to D when car is in motion. I move selector upwards towards D, but it stays in L. I’ve even tried using the side button, but it stays in L. The only way I have been able to get to D is by holding upwards until changes to N, then I move into D.

Is there a problem with my Bolt?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My problem is that I am unable to change selector from L to D when car is in motion. I move selector upwards towards D, but it stays in L. I’ve even tried using the side button, but it stays in L. The only way I have been able to get to D is by holding upwards until changes to N, then I move into D.

Is there a problem with my Bolt?
No, tap the gear selector down to toggle between L and D.

Down, not up.

It will toggle to D if in L, or to L if in D.

Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, tap the gear selector down to toggle between L and D.

Down, not up.

It will toggle to D if in L, or to L if in D.
Thank you!! That was it. It never occurred to me to toggle down again. Of course, my previous car was a 2004 Accord with 220K miles so I’m a little behind on latest auto technology. Thank you, again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.