Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors adding Chargers at all Dealerships... That's what a manager at my local dealership was saying.

Not much of a rumor considering the number of electric vehicles GM is bringing to market they are going to have to have Chargers on the dealerships.

I'll bet they add a String of them as well .. some dealerships may have 10 Charge stations .. think about it. Let's say they leave 2-3 chargers open to the Public.

You stop to charge your EV and ..hey while you're at the dealership you might as well look around at the new Models ....before you know it you just signed off on a brand new EV !!

Brilliant Marketing

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That would take care of the lack of Chargers in Small towns considering even towns with just 5000 people usually have a Chevy Dealership.

It would open up all the side highways that otherwise would have made your trip shorter but you couldn't take for the lack of charging Stations

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hopefully they wouldn't shut them off after their business hours. Some business associated chargers do that. Also hopefully they are adding DCFC and not just L2. Also hopefully they are placing them out front in an accessible and public location and not hiding them.

My Chevy dealer has two chargers and they are both L2 only - no CCS currently. One inside the shop that gets locked up at night, the other on the side of the dealership building that isn't obvious or particularly accessible by the public - probably to charge cars they are selling. I can only imagine being there at 10PM after closing trying to charge against the building and cops coming by asking what you are doing. It needs to be friendly and accessible and not limited by business hours. DCFC is strongly needed. L2 for quick stops at dealerships just doesn't cut it. They don't have amenities to make a longer stay (via L2 charging) worth it. How long can you sit around a dealership at 25 miles added per hour while trying to get somewhere - particularly if you are not shopping for cars that day? L2 makes more sense as a top-up at malls, coffee shops, restaurants, and yes dealerships (only if you are car shopping) etc. L2 can make sense for longer stops at hotel/motel for overnight charging, but not so much for dealerships.

So if L2 - gimmick.
If DCFC - serious, but only if accessible, friendly and available 24/7. If locked up inside the shop it goes back to being a gimmick.

YMMV and others may disagree. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Most likely place in the world for a charger to be ICED is at a car dealership. Ever try to use an L2 at a Nissan Dealership? You will need to find a manager to get the fleet of ICE cars parked in the spots next to the chargers moved!

I only tried to use a CCS at a Chevy dealership once on a long trip. I called ahead, verified that the CCS charger was working, and verified that they would leave it turned on after hours so I could use it. I arrived to find it turned off and a 15 amp L2 was my only option at that location.

If I am planning a trip and ABRP uses a Chevy dealership I put it on my "no fly" list and re-plan.

Keith

PS: the manager at a local dealership seldom knows what is going on, I would trust this as far as the "All Chevy dealerships will have to have DCFC stations" statement from 3 years ago when the Bolt was a new model. We still have people on this board right now that think all Chevy dealerships already have CCS stations and are confused by this thread.

PPS: Linking to your own post on another forum? How many people didn't click the link but assumed that it lead to an authoritative source of some kind?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Interestingly, my local dealer doesn't sell EVs but has installed a charger. I spoke to the service manager and he said its turned on 24/7 for anybody. I looked at the charger...iced of course, but the manager said he could get the employees to move their vehicles if I wanted to charge. It's only 5 miles from my house and I didn't need a charge, but I did add it to plugshare.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have found dealers to be quite variable in how friendly they are to people wanting to charge at their sites. I hope Chevy requires dealers to dedicate a charger or two to people coming through town.

·
Registered
421 Posts
One of my favorite places to visit is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are zero DCFC stations there, but checking a map of Chevy dealers, just about every place I wish a charger existed, has a Chevy dealer.
Of course what I want are 150 kW chargers with 24/7 access, and they don't even have to be free.

Reactions: DiodeBill

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
219 Posts
Interesting. I was at my local dealership recently and the manager was telling me about the unicorn leather option in the upcoming Bolt EUV.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our 2020 Bolt is the first GM vehicle since we bought a new Saturn SL2 back in 1993. What would impress me and speak volumes about GMs commitment to EVs and its customers is if they Created dedicated CCS plugs (150KW) at every dealership and have one or two exclusively for GM EV owners (Free of charge for 2-3 years) by way of the MyChevy app?

Craig

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS: the manager at a local dealership seldom knows what is going on, I would trust this as far as the "All Chevy dealerships will have to have DCFC stations" statement from 3 years ago when the Bolt was a new model. We still have people on this board right now that think all Chevy dealerships already have CCS stations and are confused by this thread.

PPS: Linking to your own post on another forum? How many people didn't click the link but assumed that it lead to an authoritative source of some kind?
Morning Keith

The reason is I am the "authoritative source" ..well a friend of mine is. We tend to meet at the local Charger every day. The guy owns a Malibu Hybrid, a Zero EV Motorcycle, a Live wire Motorcycle, and 2 Bolts and is always up at the Dealership talking to the big shot about EV's. He was told that all dealers got a notice that they will have to start installing EV Charger. That they are REQUIRED. and from the way he was talking it will be the Dealerships responsibility..not GM's.

Anyway, I got tired of searching hundreds of websites for all the EV's and coming EV''s and started to assemble a comprehensive site of all the EV's...a LOT of work still but it's starting to come together.
While trying not to spam it I do want credit when I post something "original" ...at least the latest news.

The guy I talk to specifically said that the Dealer received "orders" directly from Corporate.. so yeah I think that's something to follow.

Also .. I was saying about the great Marketing that would be .. Charge your vehicle at a Dealership ..spend the next 45 minutes looking at all th New EV's and 45 minutes later realize you just signed papers on a new car/ev !

Well that from this guy telling me his story charging his Bolt at a Harley Dealership in Minnesota..wasn't really looking to buy a new Bike and hopped on a Harley Livewire and 45 minutes later had a new Bike lol

So that's what we're saying ..Think about how many people will end up buying a new Car while their vehicle is charging at a Chevy, Ford, Kia etc..dealerships

I went to Harley Davidson site ..

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""All Harley-Davidson EV dealers offer a public DC Fast charging station at their dealership ..................................

Have to make note of that when lost trying to find a charger

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our 2020 Bolt is the first GM vehicle since we bought a new Saturn SL2 back in 1993. What would impress me and speak volumes about GMs commitment to EVs and its customers is if they Created dedicated CCS plugs (150KW) at every dealership and have one or two exclusively for GM EV owners (Free of charge for 2-3 years) by way of the MyChevy app?

Craig
I'd love to see 50Kw that actually delivered 50kW ;) ... frustrating pulling up and only get 25 -30

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I have mixed feelings about dealership EV chargers. While I think they will be absolutely necessary for dealerships that sell EVs, I have near zero interest in using one as an EV owner. As others have stated, they are likely to be ICEd (or at least occupied), and regardless of whether the vehicle blocking access to the charger can be moved, it's a hassle. Dealerships rarely have services I would actually want to take advantage of on a charging stop. And ultimately, they are a business trying to do business. If my only reason for being there is to charge up my car, I'm the one who is imposing on them.

Now, when I said those chargers are absolutely necessary, it is for their customers' experience. Not for return visits to charge up, but a courtesy refill that doesn't require hours of L2 charging. It's also an educational tool... "Here, let me show you how to charge up when you're on the road." It's also a marketing tool... "See how the GMC Hummer EV is adding 100 miles of range in 10 minutes? Other EV brands can only do that when they're at less than 20% battery." And yes, it can even be used as a hook... "Oh, you're out of juice and need a charge? Here, hook up, and we'll show you some of the amazing new EVs we just got in. Want to test out Super Cruise while your car is charging up?"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have mixed feelings about dealership EV chargers. While I think they will be absolutely necessary for dealerships that sell EVs, I have near zero interest in using one as an EV owner.
Because you are afraid you'll walk out with a New Car ;) :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
My local dealer installed a 25kw one in their shop behind a gate. I used it a couple times but I guess they eventually didn't like the hassle and stopped letting people use it. There was an L2 there too. They also had a row of 14-50 plugs out front. They had a decent loaner EVSE to return when done. But they wouldn't let you park and leave. I'm not going to sit at a dealer for upwards to 8 hours (depending on SoC).
I don't think it's quite proper to use a charger at a different brand. If it's known that all are welcome then fine. And PlugShare is good for that.
So I don't do a lot of charging at dealers. If they're being mandated to install chargers then they may as well install it in the attic for all the good it does.
I would pay $5 though. Either L2 and be able to leave, or DCFC and wander around a bit and look at stuff.
I can't really be bothered to plug in while shopping for 15 minutes though either unless it's a DCFC.

·
791 Posts
I have mixed feelings about dealership EV chargers. While I think they will be absolutely necessary for dealerships that sell EVs, I have near zero interest in using one as an EV owner. As others have stated, they are likely to be ICEd (or at least occupied), and regardless of whether the vehicle blocking access to the charger can be moved, it's a hassle. Dealerships rarely have services I would actually want to take advantage of on a charging stop. And ultimately, they are a business trying to do business. If my only reason for being there is to charge up my car, I'm the one who is imposing on them.

Now, when I said those chargers are absolutely necessary, it is for their customers' experience. Not for return visits to charge up, but a courtesy refill that doesn't require hours of L2 charging. It's also an educational tool... "Here, let me show you how to charge up when you're on the road." It's also a marketing tool... "See how the GMC Hummer EV is adding 100 miles of range in 10 minutes? Other EV brands can only do that when they're at less than 20% battery." And yes, it can even be used as a hook... "Oh, you're out of juice and need a charge? Here, hook up, and we'll show you some of the amazing new EVs we just got in. Want to test out Super Cruise while your car is charging up?"
I see dealer DCFC plugs filling a few needs.

First, when a new buyer is getting the orientation to their new car, it would be useful to plug the portable cord in to show L1 charging speed and routine. Then, plug in to an L2 to see what the potential is for home and destination charging. Then, finally, plugin to DCFC to see the impact for trips. The L2 and L3 should be public, paid chargers and the dealer could have an account for free charging for demonstrations, ala the ChargePoint connections feature. This would allow the new owner to experience how to use public chargers, it was confusing to me at first, so I am sure a good majority of first time EV owners would benefit from the hands-on learning. Bonus points if the dealer stocks RFID cards for whatever network their chargers are on, and help new owners activate and use their new accounts the first time around. Chargepoint or similar would be a great choice, because they could put the new owner on a connections account with free charging for the first 6 months or indefinitely, whatever makes sense to the dealer.

Second, when EV are in for service, or being prepared for customer delivery, they should be charging the cars to at least 80%.

Finally, many routes through smaller towns have no public DC charging. The GM dealerships in these towns could be a lifeline for travelers. My first Bolt trip required using a dealer's 20kW charger, it was the only DCFC between Denver and Grand Junction, CO and while slow by today's standards, it was the only way we were going to get to and from our destination.

In the end, more charging options is the best possible outcome. While a dealer DCFC may not be the best option in all cases, there will be some who will use it and spare other, more desirable plugs for those looking to move along as fast as possible. Many dealers are near other businesses, so spending a bit more time for leisurely dining or entertainment while getting topped off may fit a lot of people's agendas.

Supporting the corporate vision is important too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think it's quite proper to use a charger at a different brand. If it's known that all are welcome then fine.
I can understand where you might feel a bit uncomfortable BUT from the Dealerships point of view

it becomes an OPPORTUNITY chevy Dealer when a Kia EV pulls in to charge.. you have a potential buyer and you have 30/45 Minutes to make a sale !

If I were a car salesman I'd be drooling every time I seen a EV pull into charge

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Morning Keith

The reason is I am the "authoritative source" ..well a friend of mine is. We tend to meet at the local Charger every day. The guy owns a Malibu Hybrid, a Zero EV Motorcycle, a Live wire Motorcycle, and 2 Bolts and is always up at the Dealership talking to the big shot about EV's. He was told that all dealers got a notice that they will have to start installing EV Charger. That they are REQUIRED. and from the way he was talking it will be the Dealerships responsibility..not GM's.

Anyway, I got tired of searching hundreds of websites for all the EV's and coming EV''s and started to assemble a comprehensive site of all the EV's...a LOT of work still but it's starting to come together.
While trying not to spam it I do want credit when I post something "original" ...at least the latest news.

The guy I talk to specifically said that the Dealer received "orders" directly from Corporate.. so yeah I think that's something to follow.

Also .. I was saying about the great Marketing that would be .. Charge your vehicle at a Dealership ..spend the next 45 minutes looking at all th New EV's and 45 minutes later realize you just signed papers on a new car/ev !

Well that from this guy telling me his story charging his Bolt at a Harley Dealership in Minnesota..wasn't really looking to buy a new Bike and hopped on a Harley Livewire and 45 minutes later had a new Bike lol

So that's what we're saying ..Think about how many people will end up buying a new Car while their vehicle is charging at a Chevy, Ford, Kia etc..dealerships

I went to Harley Davidson site ..

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""All Harley-Davidson EV dealers offer a public DC Fast charging station at their dealership ..................................

Have to make note of that when lost trying to find a charger
Hey Keith ..ok this is funny. I was just checking out the new Chargepoint Stations.. Here's my source ..Check out the Driver Review/Tip

:LOL: Too Funny.. yeah he's an impulse person.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can understand where you might feel a bit uncomfortable BUT from the Dealerships point of view

it becomes an OPPORTUNITY chevy Dealer when a Kia EV pulls in to charge.. you have a potential buyer and you have 30/45 Minutes to make a sale !

If I were a car salesman I'd be drooling every time I seen a EV pull into charge
Maybe once. If you show up again just wanting a charge and you've already said you're not interested then you quickly become unwelcome...I would imagine. Perhaps that was my experience actually. "yeah get off my property...you're costing me money".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe once. If you show up again just wanting a charge and you've already said you're not interested then you quickly become unwelcome...I would imagine. Perhaps that was my experience actually. "yeah get off my property...you're costing me money".
Yeah, I can see that

·
Registered
328 Posts
I’m laughing at this thinking ... “this could potentially break my lifelong streak of never setting foot on a dealership lot after buying my new vehicles”.

Nah. The streak would definitely go on! I wouldn’t care if they lined the entire perimeter of their lot with charging stations ... I still wouldn’t go in!

You buy your new vehicle at a dealership because you have no choice, but then you should never return. Nothing good ever happens at dealerships. Hopefully when EVs take over the world, dealerships will be completely eliminated!

Hey, wait ... maybe that’s where this is all headed: GM dealerships becoming the equivalent of SuperCharger sites ... charging stations galore, but without the crooked sales people! Yay!!!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts