Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Forget putting charge stations at a McDonalds. These things need to be placed right next to a substation. Put a McDonald's next to the substation. Then there's no demand fees as electric company has control and can anticipate the demand by communicating with the chargers (plus electric companies are starting to shave peak loads with storage capacity). When semis start needing to charge, we're talking mega watts.
You have it backwards. Substations must be located to satisfy demand and not the other way around. Moreover, locating chargers next to a substation has nothing to do with demand fees and no relevance beyond transmission losses. Where have you read that transmission losses are a defining issue for fast charging installations?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You have it backwards. Substations must be located to satisfy demand and not the other way around. Moreover, locating chargers next to a substation has nothing to do with demand fees and no relevance beyond transmission losses. Where have you read that transmission losses are a defining issue for fast charging installations?
Cost of the infrastructure build out. If you need megawatts of power, seems logical to place the chargers where the power is already. Regardless, EVs need electricity and don't understand why electric companies aren't on the hook to provide it. Doubt the electric company would charge themselves demand fees.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Cost of the infrastructure build out. If you need megawatts of power, seems logical to place the chargers where the power is already. Regardless, EVs need electricity and don't understand why electric companies aren't on the hook to provide it. Doubt the electric company would charge themselves demand fees.
Nice, when we all have EVs and V2H, we will drive our EVs to the substation to charge up then hook up the car to the house for use. No transmission loss then? :)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Nice, when we all have EVs and V2H, we will drive our EVs to the substation to charge up then hook up the car to the house for use. No transmission loss then? :)
Yes, you can do that. The rest of us will leave our cars in the garage. I'm talking about fast chargers, where many cars, trucks, and semis need to be charged when traveling. Or even a fleet of vehicles will need lots of power over night. Can only imagine the semis and their need. The electric companies need to get engaged here. It's their future and they better get ready.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Medical bills are the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the United States, so while you might be able to get medical care, you could also be financially ruined as a result. Yes, ERs do accept everybody, but they won't administer every form of essential, life-saving care. Try getting an organ transplant or chemotherapy in an ER.

The propaganda that people are asking for "free stuff" is also just that: Propaganda. What people are asking for is to pay what they pay in medical insurance premiums as an official tax instead, and as a consequence, be able to access the medical care they have paid for. All that without being denied treatment by insurance companies (yes, they get to override medical doctors) and paying exorbitant copays and deductibles.

Most developed countries look at the U.S. medical care system as medieval.
I just saw a newscast about a Covid patient released after three months hospitalization. I bet the bill was $1million. They do accept credit cards...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just saw a newscast about a Covid patient released after three months hospitalization. I bet the bill was $1million. They do accept credit cards...
I wonder, though, inpatient pays by DRG. I wonder if the hospital took a big loss on this patient.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts