Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Getting a New Battery?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Eck173 
#1 ·
I called Chevrolet for the new seat belt restrainer thing (recall) to be fixed and was told that my car should be getting a new battery too due to the fire risk recall. What a surprise that was!

I have 46k on my 2021 and it's flawless.

A new battery would basically make it a new car!

Anyone want to share any tips or heads up about the process?

#2 ·
Anyone want to share any tips or heads up about the process?
Are you at all curious about the inner workings of your Bolt? If not, do these things at least:
1) Make sure the car has not been charged for 24 hours.
2) Make sure it is below 80% SoC/16 green bars.
3) Make sure it has been charged to 100% SoC before you leave the lot (preferably, verify that percentage using the MyChevy app, or Torque Pro), and that the Energy Detail: Since Last Charge screen has zeroed out/reset.
4) Open the hood, and look at the battery coolant reservoir. This is the one at the front of the motor compartment, on the passenger side. Note the coolant level. It should be on the line with the two arrows, or above. Preferably, stick a piece of masking tape at the coolant level for future reference.

If you are curious about those inner workings:
4) Zero out the trip odometer before leaving the lot, and zero out the energy efficiency screen.
5) Don't recharge until reaching 4 bars, or fewer.
6) Record the total miles, and kWh used, during this first discharge from 100% SoC to as low as you feel comfortable. Verify the end percentage SoC again from the MyChevy app, or Torque Pro. Do the simple math to determine how many kWh a full 100% used would give you. That is the usable capacity of your new battery, when new. Recharge to 100% SoC, at least this one time.
7) Open the hood and recheck the coolant level. If it has fallen below the fill line, get the dealer to fill it back to the line. Check this every time you charge for a month at least.

#3 ·
I am very interested so I will be looking at the details.

Thank you much.

I am hoping the new battery is just as "good" as what I have in terms of charging capacity, etc.

Have yet to receive a call from the service manager to schedule a time and I imagine that may take some time. I don't know what incentive a dealership has to change battery on a car they've already sold...

#4 ·
I am very interested so I will be looking at the details.

Thank you much.

I am hoping the new battery is just as "good" as what I have in terms of charging capacity, etc.

Have yet to receive a call from the service manager to schedule a time and I imagine that may take some time. I don't know what incentive a dealership has to change battery on a car they've already sold...
The consensus seems to be that the software updates GM applies when the pack is replaced results in maybe a little more conservative charging profile.

My experience with a 2018 is that while the slowdown on DCFC started at ~55% on the old pack, it starts close to 50% now. But the old charging profile on the older Bolts like mine took big step-downs and now it only drops in 1kW increments so more of a curve. Overall, DCFC times are probably not significantly different.

How that relates to the newer models, I couldn't say from experience but the charging profile should be the same on all model years now since we all have the same pack chemistry and capacity now.

Reactions: Eck173 and JerryP
#8 ·
The service manager said I would get a phone call after the battery was shipped. They've already ordered it but it hasn't shipped yet and it takes a couple of weeks to get to the dealership because it's so heavy.

When that's done they said it is a two-day process to get the new battery in the car.

I agree with the advice to take my time with the battery I have. I don't notice any issues yet and I now have over 48k on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.