Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often get a small electric shock when I am getting out of my 2019 Bolt. The car is stored in the driveway, subject to Oregon's rain and sun and massive pollen fallout. But why is this happening?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had this problem with a prior EV that had cloth seats. Just spray the seats with "static guard" and it will dissipate the static. Works for several months then you have to re-apply.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Yeah, it's just static electricity. I've had this happen to me on the odd occasion in very low humidity with pretty much every car I've owned going back more than 40 years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine was so bad at times, I could draw a 1/2" arc after moving around on the seat and exiting the vehicle. Truly a real "Electric Vehicle"...... (Not a good incentive for non EV'ers though...)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Static electricity. It's happened to me over the years, especially in the winter. Doesn't matter if it's an ICE or EV. I've see people grab their coat sleeve and put it over their hand when exiting to prevent grounding (sparking) to the car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've noticed this as well in my first few weeks with the car. Its my only car with cloth interior so I'm guessing its mostly that. None of the other cars do this. Oh well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have the cloth seats? They would be more likely to generate static electricity. Also depends on the material of your clothes.
Tribo- charging caused by friction or separation of you clothes or seats when exiting. Fact of physics. Oregon where i am as well is no stranger to static charges even when it raining. 🤗

·
Registered
19 Posts
It could be an area of effect. Do you live next to high power lines? I had a particular mountain bike in AZ and rode the paths under those but had to stop because it was like being electrocuted.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It could be an area of effect. Do you live next to high power lines? I had a particular mountain bike in AZ and rode the paths under those but had to stop because it was like being electrocuted.
I'm having trouble believing it had anything to do with the transmission lines...

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is simply Static and is quite common on ALL cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I often get a small electric shock when I am getting out of my 2019 Bolt. The car is stored in the driveway, subject to Oregon's rain and sun and massive pollen fallout. But why is this happening?
That is amazing. Bike frame must have had the right impedance or Q to inductively couple the power-line energy to your bike. Wowza!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts