Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first connected Android Auto I got it to display on the infotainment display. Then while exploring the app I made it disapear and can't get it back. I use the Projection button and it says when active AA will use the 10.4" display, I hit activate and nothing :crying:. The app is active on my phone. Any thought on where I should look?

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I first connected Android Auto I got it to display on the infotainment display. Then while exploring the app I made it disapear and can't get it back. I use the Projection button and it says when active AA will use the 10.4" display, I hit activate and nothing :crying:. The app is active on my phone. Any thought on where I should look?
Is the bluetooth on on the phone, and still paired to the car? On my Nougat phone, the app turns BT on automatically, but not on m Marshmallow device. If there is no BT connection, the display wont activate (for me).

There are some auto launch settings in the app you might look at.

The AA setting in the car is still turned on?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this might be where the problem is. Where do I turn on AA in the car?
I found the AA and CP on off setting, but both are grayed out and won't let me access them. AA in on and CP is set to off. What is causing them to be locked? The phone is BT connected and I can initiate and receive call; and I can play music. But I can't get the maps to show..

·
Banned
350 Posts
Android Auto does not work over Bluetooth. Period. It requires USB connection.
(It also only uses 2/3 of the center display - Chevy did a lousy job implementing it)

I'll take a wild guess, and hazard that perhaps the AA setting will only work when you have an Android phone plugged in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
(It also only uses 2/3 of the center display - Chevy did a lousy job implementing it)

I'll take a wild guess, and hazard that perhaps the AA setting will only work when you have an Android phone plugged in.
Well, not on my car. I just walked downstairs to verify, rather than do it from memory. With no phone connected, and no USB connection, the AA toggle is active. What I did notice is that AA and CP are mutually exclusive. I can't turn on both at once. Selecting the unused one deselects the current. I fiddled with all the related settings I could find, and I could not get my car to a place where I couldn't turn on either AA or CP.

AA does use the USB for the display, but unfortunately not for audio. You have to have both to use AA for making calls.

One thing that occurs to me; in addition to having a regular (not charge-only) USB cable, your phone needs to be in MTP mode. On my Nougat phone, AA puts the USB in that state automatically. On my marshmallow device, it does not. I have to manually select the USB configuration, and put it into MTP. Depending on your phone, that may be easily accessible from the notification shade after plugging your phone in, or you may have to enable developer options, and get to it through that screen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I fiddled with settings and after 6 hours finally stumbled across the right settings to get it to work again. When I plugged in my phone after work this afternoon, glory be, AA booted to the display; all the settings held. I had SXM on the radio, directions on the display, and took a call from my wife all on the infotainment center. So all is good in Dadrick's world for the time being.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

It's not Chevy's fault. It's an Android Auto issue that it doesn't use the entire display. CarPlay fills the entire screen...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I fiddled with settings and after 6 hours finally stumbled across the right settings to get it to work again. When I plugged in my phone after work this afternoon, glory be, AA booted to the display; all the settings held. I had SXM on the radio, directions on the display, and took a call from my wife all on the infotainment center. So all is good in Dadrick's world for the time being.
So, what setting did the trick? In case I trip over it myself.

·
Banned
350 Posts
According to the Android Auto guys at Google, it was Chevy's choice to waste the bottom half-inch of screen for the four stupid icons, instead of at the left where they belong.
Had the Chevy guys not made that bad choice, Google Maps would be wider and fill the display top to bottom.
Dumb...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
According to the Android Auto guys at Google, it was Chevy's choice to waste the bottom half-inch of screen for the four stupid icons, instead of at the left where they belong.
Yeah, well the Google guys think that Chevy should use the same aspect ratio as phones, and the Chevy guys think that Android Auto should be smart enough to adapt itself to the aspect ratio of the display like all desktop computers do. Pick your side...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's like two kids bickering and pointing fingers at each other. :D

Probably down to which option is easier and cheaper to do, have Google reprogram Android Auto to automatically adjust its aspect ratio or Chevy design their infotainment systems around what Google provides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also having issues getting AA to work. I've enabled it in the Bolt, I have the phone connected via bluetooth. When I plug the phone in via USB, most of the time, nothing at all happens. About 15% of the time, though, a few seconds after plugging in, I get a screen that says
"Device Projection Privacy Consent
Android Auto and its third party apps and services may use your vehicle information, including vehicle location. Only use Android Auto when it is safe to do so and will not distract your driving. Android Auto is not provided by the vehicle manufacturer and is projected from your Android device to your vehicle"
Below this, two buttons: "Disable" or "Continue"

The problem is, this screen flashes on so quickly I can't even read it, let alone press the "Continue" button. It's literally there for about .1 seconds. The only way I was able to figure out what it said was to take video of this process with my wife's phone and then freeze the video.

I'm really frustrated with this process. It's already ruining the car for me, right out of the gates.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
350 Posts
"Probably down to which option is easier and cheaper to do..."
One way or the other, it's a p*ss-poor job by overpaid people.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's like two kids bickering and pointing fingers at each other.

Probably down to which option is easier and cheaper to do, have Google reprogram Android Auto to automatically adjust its aspect ratio or Chevy design their infotainment systems around what Google provides.
There is a third kid. Apple Car Play works just fine. Maybe get rid of your Android phone and get an iPhone. I use an iPhone and don't have any of the connection problems people with Android phones seem to have.

Ed

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm also having issues getting AA to work. I've enabled it in the Bolt, I have the phone connected via bluetooth. When I plug the phone in via USB, most of the time, nothing at all happens. About 15% of the time, though, a few seconds after plugging in, I get a screen that says
"Device Projection Privacy Consent
Android Auto and its third party apps and services may use your vehicle information, including vehicle location. Only use Android Auto when it is safe to do so and will not distract your driving. Android Auto is not provided by the vehicle manufacturer and is projected from your Android device to your vehicle"
Below this, two buttons: "Disable" or "Continue"

The problem is, this screen flashes on so quickly I can't even read it, let alone press the "Continue" button. It's literally there for about .1 seconds. The only way I was able to figure out what it said was to take video of this process with my wife's phone and then freeze the video.

I'm really frustrated with this process. It's already ruining the car for me, right out of the gates.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Is it safe to assume you did these things in this order?

https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en

·
Registered
25 Posts
Android Auto

There is a third kid. Apple Car Play works just fine. Maybe get rid of your Android phone and get an iPhone. I use an iPhone and don't have any of the connection problems people with Android phones seem to have.

Ed
I'm glad that others are having the same AA connectivity issues I am. I should rephrase that by saying that I'm not happy they are having problems, I'm just happy I'm not the only one! I have a '17 Bolt and a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge. I've had some luck stopping the car, turning it off, restarting my phone and starting my navigation with the car off, and only when the phone is actually telling me where to go (and I've told it where to go several times), restarting the car. Is it just me or am I entitled to a somewhat more user-friendly interface? BTW, my wife's iphone 6 works seemlessly with Apple Car Play in the same car! Google, please help! :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts