Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my iphone connects via Bluetooth to my bolt but with Google maps I just get the audio navigation in the car but not the map display even when the map display shows on my iphone. How to also get the map display on the dashboard screen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
my iphone connects via Bluetooth to my bolt but with Google maps I just get the audio navigation in the car but not the map display even when the map display shows on my iphone. How to also get the map display on the dashboard screen?
You need to enable CarPlay and google maps will work just fine.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
190 Posts
I think the button is labeled Projection until you use it and the car knows which application you are using.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
I don’t see ‘projection’- how do I get that?
Press the physical "Home" button below the large, infotainment touch screen. Then, near the top left, there should be an icon on the screen that looks like 4 colored dots arranged in a square. Touch that icon - it's the "Apps" icon. You should see several different "Apps" listed, one of which may be something like "Apple CarPlay" or "CarPlay" or "Projection."

Do this while your iPhone is physically plugged into the Bolt with a Lightning to USB cable.

What model year is your Bolt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Press the physical "Home" button below the large, infotainment touch screen. Then, near the top left, there should be an icon on the screen that looks like 4 colored dots arranged in a square. Touch that icon - it's the "Apps" icon. You should see several different "Apps" listed, one of which may be something like "Apple CarPlay" or "CarPlay" or "Projection."

Do this while your iPhone is physically plugged into the Bolt with a Lightning to USB cable.

What model year is your Bolt?
My bolt is 2017 and XM my phone is iphone 12. I found projection and although my phone is connected to the port i still get the message “connect a supported device to use this feature.”
I get the audio but not the map. Is my iphone not supported? I can get audiobooks and phone calls without being plugged in via bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
My bolt is 2017 and XM my phone is iphone 12. I found projection and although my phone is connected to the port i still get the message “connect a supported device to use this feature.”
I get the audio but not the map. Is my iphone not supported? I can get audiobooks and phone calls without being plugged in via bluetooth.
A couple of other things to try:
1. Shut down and restart the iPhone
2. Restart the Bolt's infotainment system by holding down the Home and Fast Forward buttons for several seconds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you plug your phone in with a USB cable? On a 2017 there is no wireless CarPlay, so you will need to plug in to change the projection to CarPlay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you plug your phone in with a USB cable? On a 2017 there is no wireless CarPlay, so you will need to plug in to change the projection to CarPlay
Yes I did plug it in with a USB cable.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
^^^
There is no CarPlay app to install an on iPhone! This isn't Android Auto.

Once you go thru Use CarPlay with your iPhone or How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car and CarPlay is working, then Google Maps + the other mapping apps (e.g. Apple Maps and Waze) will show maps on the car's LCD once you go to CarPlay (via 4 circles "apps" button > CarPlay) or press + hold car's hardware home button.

If the car still says Projection after pressing the "apps" button, you're not connected properly. Make sure you use either a genuine Apple Lightning to USB cable or a quality MFi (Made for i; About iPhone, iPad, and iPod accessories) certified cable, not generic or no-name garbage (or worse Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories).

I've been using CarPlay w/my '19 Bolt for over 2.5 years. I also used it on a '17 Bolt Premier I rented for a day before buying my Bolt + have used it on 2 other rental cars, an '18 (IIRC) Elantra and '19 Altima.

My primary phone is an iPhone 8 and has been thru numerous iOS versions since my 1st CarPlay usage w/that above '17 Bolt Premier. I'm now on IOS 14.7.1. iPhone 12 began with iOS 14.x.x so it will definitely work w/CarPlay.

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
120 Posts
Be sure to use a good USB cable, somehow the ability to charge does not mean the cable is good enough to support CarPlay(?!). I had to try several.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
A much faster way to do this is to simply press the physical "Home" button (next to the volume knob) and hold it down for a few seconds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts