Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not only is my Bolt doing more than was guaranteed, for a family that has had electric vehicles since 1972, the Tesla camp is in disaster !!!

*See today's news about Musk stopping the Tesla 3 production line again, 4/17/18. Wall Street Journal is interpreting it as a major failure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I prefer the way that GM handled the development of an electric.

TOO much Musk grand PR occurred first, and polishing of the manufacturing later. There is no doubt that the three has great potential.

The Bolt has had little or no PR, with development in Europe first. Lots of things are now known about Bolt manufacturing. Yet, I have never seen a national commercial specifically for the Bolt. At first, I thought that was a negative. Now, I am glad that they held off, while Tesla was hitting every ad chance. I suspect that, within a year or two, we will be bombarded by Bolt commercials. I mean every major TV outlet, and the net of course, will probably be pushing it as America's tried and true electric. The fact that GM can dedicate and rededicate plants, new and old, quickly to support such a vehicle is important, and will be even more important for maintenance - along with all the service dealers. Musk has no service centers near me, in New Mexico. He only has about 6 chargers total in NM. It is a different world, away from southern California and its charging network and support system. There are lots of level 2 chargers in Albuquerque, with one Tesla Super Charger, and three DC Fast chargers spread throughout the city. Thus, it really is like another planet, when compared to southern California.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I'm also in New Mexico. Tesla has been working hard on the super charger network. Here's a comparison using Plugshare between first photo of supercharger network in New Mexico vs second photo of CCS network. Stark difference.

Edit: should note that each Tesla location has four to eight stations

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
It's interesting, isn't it, how in the US the choice of factory new, long range EV's for a walk-in buyer hasn't changed much in the past 1 year.

In April 2017, a walk-in buyer could get a Model S or X with some delay, or a promise of Model 3 sometime in future, or a 2017 Bolt. Hyundai was going to come up with a long range 2018 "Ioniq", and Nissan - with a long range 2018 Leaf.

In April 2018, a walk-in buyer can get a Model S or X with some delay, or a promise of Model 3 sometime in future, or a 2018 Bolt that is identical to the 2017 Bolt. Hyundai's Kona, advertised as a "first compact all-electric SUV" is not here, and neither is a long-range Leaf.

(on a side note: if the Bolt is a subcompact CUV, and the Kona has the same footprint, is is a couple of inches lower and is less roomy inside, how is it compact and how is it an SUV? never mind)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, if a Model 3 were available for immediate purchase, I'd have seriously considered one. However, no EV owner should wish Tesla any ill. What's good for any EV is good for all, eventually.

jack vines
Agree, I thank Elon every day for making the Bolt a reality, and I am cautiously optimistic that he can actually pull off the model Y, might become a customer if he does.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hope the Model 3 is a huge success, because I fear if Tesla, as a company fails, the other OEM's will claim that nobody wants one and stop making them. It doesn't matter if there is substantial evidence to the contrary, you and I can't force them to. IF (and I believe they will) Tesla succeeds, the other manufacturers will have to continue building them.

IMHO, Chevrolet could've built and sold far more Bolts if (1) they wanted to, (2) their dealer network would handle / actually try to sell them, and finally (3) they advertised them.

GO TESLA!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I hope the Model 3 is a huge success, because I fear if Tesla, as a company fails, the other OEM's will claim that nobody wants one and stop making them. It doesn't matter if there is substantial evidence to the contrary, you and I can't force them to. IF (and I believe they will) Tesla succeeds, the other manufacturers will have to continue building them.

IMHO, Chevrolet could've built and sold far more Bolts if (1) they wanted to, (2) their dealer network would handle / actually try to sell them, and finally (3) they advertised them.

GO TESLA!

This is the basic supply-demand conundrum. Which comes first? Is demand solely generated by advertising? Each of us, as individuals, cannot afford to "advertise" the Bolt. What we could do is offer to any nearby Chevy dealership which does NOT sell the Bolt to visit for a few hours on a Friday or Saturday to let people see/sit in/ride in (liability may preclude their driving) the Bolt. Would the local dealership pay for a TV or newspaper ad? Would demand help that particular dealership enough to induce them to carry/service the Bolt? This would help ALL of us.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't know how it is everywhere but when I wanted to buy my Bolt it took my dealer almost a month to find one with the options I was looking for (basically a loaded Premier). I think it's a supply issue more than a demand issue. Not sure how much Chevy can increase production but I suspect that they already don't have a lot of trouble moving the Bolts they do make and the only thing keeping them from raising prices is the promise of the mythical $30k Model 3.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't know how it is everywhere but when I wanted to buy my Bolt it took my dealer almost a month to find one with the options I was looking for (basically a loaded Premier). I think it's a supply issue more than a demand issue. Not sure how much Chevy can increase production but I suspect that they already don't have a lot of trouble moving the Bolts they do make and the only thing keeping them from raising prices is the promise of the mythical $30k Model 3.
It's weird how things work out. I imagine more demand in CA leads to less inventory. I had about 50 Premiers within 50 miles of me when I went looking - the majority were loaded. It came down to color and price - I didn't get the color I wanted, but I got the price I wanted.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Agreed. No sense advertising something if you already are struggling to meet demand. Not only that, but as some have suggested, every Bolt is sold at a loss, or at the very least, less profit than any other vehicle in their lineup. Selling at a loss is a huge incentive not to advertise and generate demand.

Terry- Read the letter from Elon about production targets. I suspect the truth will be found somewhere between the opinion of WSJ and Elon's spin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.