Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Trying to reduce the glare from the dash reflecting on the windshield. I know polarizing sunglasses reduce the glare but someone told me I wouldn't be able to see the instrument screens because the polarized glassed would make them look dark. Does anyone know if this is true? Sure would like to get rid of the glare and I really don't like the look of the dash mats.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not true in my opinion. With our 2019 Bolt LT, I can wear polarized grey tint sunglasses and still see the screens OK. Of course, any dark tinted glasses make it harder to see anything inside the car, but that is not the fault of the polarized treatment.

And the polarized lenses DO cut out about 90% of the windshield glare off the light grey dash in our Bolt.

If you want to experiment just pick up a cheap pair of polarized "drug store" glasses and try them. If they don't work for you, no great monetary loss.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Polarized means horizontal or vertical but not both at the same time.

If your glasses are vertically polarized and your screen is vertically polarized then you are OK. If one is horizontal and one is vertical, your screen is blocked (for the most part).

So one make / model of sunglasses may be fine and one may not be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We added the DashCare matt and it has worked well.

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
935 Posts
I went with a dash mat because it reduces glare, was inexpensive and the UV / Heat is absorbed into a disposable dash mat which is a heck of a lot easier to replace than the dash itself. Also, the one I got fit so well I leave it on there without even having to velcro it on there even though that's what the instructions called for.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi,

Trying to reduce the glare from the dash reflecting on the windshield. I know polarizing sunglasses reduce the glare but someone told me I wouldn't be able to see the instrument screens because the polarized glassed would make them look dark. Does anyone know if this is true? Sure would like to get rid of the glare and I really don't like the look of the dash mats.
My 2017 Bolt has the white seat trim and a very light dashboard. There was a huge discussion of this in 2017 on the forum, but I can't remember how to link to it. The bottom line is that I felt it was dangerous and the solution was to buy a black dashpad from a SoCal company. It was relatively easy to install and three years later, it is working fine. It cost about 50 bucks. Much better than requiring the driver to wear polarized sunglasses, although that works OK.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I agree with the above comments on polarized glasses - works great and does not interfere with the Bolt’s 2 screens. One thing I noticed though, ever since I installed the phone mount, it does significantly reduce visibility for my phone because it’s angled differently.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
This is not correct. All polarized glasses are polarized horizontally, in order to cut reflections off water and ice and other horizontal surfaces - that's the whole point of polarized lenses.
Polarized glasses work fine with the Bolt displays.
Clarification: Light reflected off horizontal surfaces (like water) is polarized horizontally. If you want to block that reflected light, you provide a lens that is polarized vertically, i.e. it blocks horizontally polarized light, and lets through vertically polarized light.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a Grey Dash Mat. It keeps the temps down, unlike a black one would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been paying close attention to see exactly where the glare is coming from on the dash. Obviously, it is a reflection off the top of the dash, but what section? When I look closely at the inside of the windshield what I see is a dark reflection outlining the center vent opening and some other dark spots from the other dash opening for the various sensors. Since these dash mats have cutouts for all these areas it seems as though they would still reflect in the windshield.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Any feedback on color choices and cut in glare? I would think black would be the one to get but I'd like gray to match my car...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Any feedback on color choices and cut in glare? I would think black would be the one to get but I'd like gray to match my car...
No matter what colour the car is, get an interior colour scheme with the darker dashboard. Light coloured dashboards are a stupid, stupid idea IMHO.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Anyone have experience with any of these dash covers?

$26.79

$41

$35 and up

$38

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Perhaps we should file NTSB complaints and see if Chevy will finally issue a warranty repair...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Perhaps we should file NTSB complaints and see if Chevy will finally issue a warranty repair...
I have a hard time putting too much blame on GM for this. If you chose an interior colour with a light-coloured dashboard then that's what you get. Should GM be blamed for you getting rear ended in the fog because you chose a light gray paint job?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts