Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Glass screen protector on the infotainment center screen looks good and the price was right.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073HXHMGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Cool, thanks for the tip off, I'll be throwing one of those in my next Amazon order!

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DThanks for the hot tip. I normally put a protective cover on my info screens. Decent price, only one review so far, but favorable. Normally not a impulse shopper, but I just ordered one and will have it in two days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fit its a little bit smaller than the screen but not much

Review is probably mine doesn't seem like anyone else has commented on it

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm curious to the rational about why a screen protector is necessary on the dash unit. I can see it for a cell phone that may end up in your pocket with your keys or fall or something, but on a screen that never gets poked with anything sharper than your finger, what is the point of installing one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious to the rational about why a screen protector is necessary on the dash unit. I can see it for a cell phone that may end up in your pocket with your keys or fall or something, but on a screen that never gets poked with anything sharper than your finger, what is the point of installing one?
I know the Bolt screen feels as if it has a "little friction" especially when scrolling in Song list. I hope a glass screen makes that gesture smoother since it would be glass and more smoother.

·
Registered
735 Posts
With smartphones i noticed that the plastic screen protectors add friction but the glass versions don't so that will be something to consider.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I actually ordered one myself, supposed to arrive tomorrow. My rational is that I keep my cars 10 years normally. That is a long time for a touch screen to not get scratched up, even a good one. Unless you are washing your hand each time you get in your car and not touching anything else you will get stuff on your fingers that could damage or eventually damage the screen. Plus for myself, I am outdoors a lot. Mountain biking, hiking, trail running and other things. So I get back in the car often while dirty and not near a bathroom. So $11 for peace of mind seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So I just got it and installed it today. Short term review, I like it. It does make the screen smoother, easier to scroll with. It fits pretty good, there is a small gap around but not big enough to change behavior or get in the way. Plus you need a little gap to be able to get it off if you decide to remove it. I didn't see any smudges yet from use but going to give that time before I comment how good or bad it is with smudges. Haven't been in conditions yet to test if it has any glare issues.

I will update in a week or two with a longer term review or if I run into any issues with it.

Installation was easy, packaging was good, pretty decent product so far. I did not use the dust cleaning stickers included in the package, they are really strong and I was concerned it was going to rip apart.

·
Registered
735 Posts
some of these protectors are said to have reduced smudging so that might be something for people here to look into but i don't know how true that is, I just rather carry a rag and some cleaner safe for these surfaces.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DOrdered mine Wednesday, received it today (Friday). Will install Sunday when I have time. Product and packaging looks good for $11.40 to include shipping. I've used similar products in the past and have been very happy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)Installed the $11 Amazon screen protector yesterday. Protector is a little smaller than the actual Bolt screen. Take your time and try to have equal spacing on all four sides. You only have one chance. I ended up with a thumb size air pocket. Worked with the mirco fiber supplied cloth to smooth it out. Better last night, and I was able to fully smooth it out this morning. Looks really nice, but still shows finger prints. Nice, quality product, great price.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Longer term review.

No issues to report. It has stayed on and still looks clear. I haven't had any glare issues. It also seems to do well with finger prints and other nastiness from fingers. I haven't seen a bunch of smudges and the few I have seen wiped right off without problem. No touch sensitivity issues, doesn't cause and lag.

So after more than a week of using it, I am still happy with it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks to the OP, I installed one of these too.

Feels more responsive. Must be my imagination or the heatwave is making my fingers sweaty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed a screen protector today, made by Ruiya purchased from Amazon. I picked it, though it had no reviews, simply because it was available with Prime shipping :D

It came well packaged with a "book like" box with padding to keep the glass screen secure and safe. Simple instructions along with a suction cup, alcohol wipe, microfiber cleaning cloth, dust removal sticker and the protector itself wrapped again for safety.A pull tab to remove the film on the side that was to be placed against the surface of the display.

Wiped down the Bolt screen with the alcohol wipe and then dusted it off. Stuck the suction cup in the center to the outward side and peeled off the backing film... The fit of the protector, when centered leaves a tiny gap all the way around the screen, you'll want that gap, trust me.

My first attempt left a bubble under the screen and a missed fleck of dust... At first, I was a bit panicked I thought I was stuck with this bubble because it would not work out via pushing with the microfiber cloth, and getting the tempered glass screen off seemed impossible, even with that gap.

A quick search of YouTube videos found a elegant and simple solution, a piece of paper. A piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper folded into quarters was easily worked in the corner of the display between the thick Bolt screen bezel and the protectors corner edge. I was able to slide underneath the corner and slowly lift and separate the protector away from the screen. Once lifted off, I used the dust sticker to dab off the dust particle and I tried again, this time was better but a little crooked, the same technique lifted the protector again and after a few more attempts I finally got a great placement, no dust, no bubbles.

The best thing I can tell you in installing one of these is to be patient, it will most likely take multiple tries to get it right. I noticed that most of the reviews on these screen protectors is about bubbles and such, it's not the manufacturers fault, it's just part of the installation process.

Best of luck!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749M3H4T[/ame]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Follow up: (nearly) A month later, it's still on and still works. I don't notice it which is probably the best thing you can say about a screen protector.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've driven my Lexus for 20 years now. Screen is completely undamaged. I'd say don't put a screen protector on a car - likely more trouble than protection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts