Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bolt EV but I've run into an issue which I had not anticipated.

I find the Regen in D way too strong. It robs the car of momentum, requiring me to "feather" the accelerator pedal more than I would like.

Compares to my previous car, I would estimate that I have to input into the accelerator about three times as much.

I find this tiresome and annoying. It greatly decreases my enjoyment of driving the car.

I have found threads from 2017 proposing some sort of reduction in Regen. But nothing has ever happened.

Why doesn't GM implement this? I saw in a review of the Kona EV that it has adjustable Regen settings.

It is bad enough I think I will sell the car if Regen in D mode cannot be reduced.

It would make sense I think to have minimal Regen in D mode, and have the Regen paddle on the wheel apply a moderate amount of Regen comparable to what D is right now.

In any event, I should have this option.

But again, it has been four years and GM has not implemented such a feature, which appear to be present in all other EV's.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, put it on N and glide.
Kona level 1 regen is almost the same thing as Bolt EV in D, so nothing to envy there. And the shifter to set Kona's regen is awkward AF. But hey, I am sure if the Bolt EV would have had a "no regen" option, someone else would have complained about that. So... in the end, Bolt EV is good as it is IMO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe you meant “Coasting”.
The regen is a great feature that you will get used to in time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Compares to my previous car, I would estimate that I have to input into the accelerator about three times as much.

It is bad enough I think I will sell the car if Regen in D mode cannot be reduced.
Compared to what? What was your previous car? Just curious.

Everything about the "driving dynamics" of a Bolt is, in some way, a compromise. Engineers had to make a choice for every parameter.

I, personally, like the way it drives just fine. It's like it anticipates my every input...like it's wired directly to my brain. But that's just me.

If the car does not suit your driving style, then sell it and buy something that does. The next owner may really like the way your Bolt drives.

Different strokes......

·
Registered
438 Posts
taiwwa, keep in mind, as far as I know every EV out there has some degree of regen. Most of the reviews of the new vehicles have comments about how effective the car's regen is for slowing/stopping the vehicle without the use of brakes.

I really like using regen and am no longer comfortable in my ICE vehicles without it. Guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Rich

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
It is what it is... Regen is a critical part of EVs, I mean how can you complain about free charging?

I am certain that when GM engineers calibrated overall efficiency, they found the regeneration amount you experience is a worthwhile feature to overall efficiency. Remember, range is a key marketing metric, if Bolt used too much regen and it negatively impacted range, they would have adjusted it. I have faith they purposely, and properly factored it in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I first got my Bolt I wished for a 'glide' option much like OP wants. Initially my solution was to shift into N and coast along but it was awkward and I also wondered if something might prematurely wear if I reguarly shifted between neutral and D/L while driving at higher speeds so I stopped doing it and after a month or so of regular driving, I got used to it and changed my driving style and now I'm happy and fine with the regen.

I do wish there were a way to configure the amounts of regen in D/L as well as replacing the regen button on the steering wheel with a regen trigger to allow for more control of regenerative braking. I modified my old first gen Honda Insight and installed a trigger on the gear shift nob that would allow for manual application and it was SO much fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did an a/b test between the bolt and the cmax hybrid.

Bolt Regen requires so much more input than the default for the cmax. And the cmax still has some Regen at cruising, but it is not obnoxious like the Bolt Regen.

Over the thousands of hours I spend in cars, this will mean my right leg will be constantly more fatigued driving the Bolt.

It might be better for efficiency, but having some sort of option to adjust it should have been in there from day one. I think this is proof that the bolt is more an exercise in compliance and that no one actually bothers driving the car over at GM.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Bolt Regen requires so much more input than the default for the cmax. And the cmax still has some Regen at cruising, but it is not obnoxious like the Bolt Regen.

Over the thousands of hours I spend in cars, this will mean my right leg will be constantly more fatigued driving the Bolt.

It might be better for efficiency, but having some sort of option to adjust it should have been in there from day one. I think this is proof that the bolt is more an exercise in compliance and that no one actually bothers driving the car over at GM.
Is there a cmax forum available?

·
Registered
29 Posts

I had similar feelings about a fatigued right foot when I first got my Bolt but after a few thousand miles I had adapted and have no more or less fatigue than in other cars. To some extent you have to learn to drive every car and the Bolt is no different. If you can, try to give it a fair shot for at least a few thousand miles to see if maybe you start to enjoy it.

I've owned and driven a few dozen cars over my lifetime and the Bolt is one of the more enjoyable driving experiences for me personally, especially after I got used to it. Hopefully that can happen for you as well and if not, best of luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had similar feelings about a fatigued right foot when I first got my Bolt but after a few thousand miles I had adapted and have no more or less fatigue than in other cars. To some extent you have to learn to drive every car and the Bolt is no different. If you can, try to give it a fair shot for at least a few thousand miles to see if maybe you start to enjoy it.

I've owned and driven a few dozen cars over my lifetime and the Bolt is one of the more enjoyable driving experiences for me personally, especially after I got used to it. Hopefully that can happen for you as well and if not, best of luck!
Good things im not the only one.

If I drive it more, the resale.value goes down. And I've driven it a few hundred already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't own a Bolt, but I did drive one for a while. I never noticed what the OP is referring to. When I read his post, I realized that I've been driving my pickups as if they have regen for years. I usually put about 120,000 miles on a truck, and I've never had to replace the brake pads. I time my stops so as to let the drive train do the stopping. I even intentionally drive with Tow/Haul mode engaged even when I'm not towing.

I agree with others that it's just a matter of getting used to it and adjusting the driving style. However, if it's something they won't be able to adjust to, probably best to move to something else. I owned a Dodge one time, just couldn't stand it, so I sold it and moved on.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
It's a gripe I have all the time. There should be a coast mode, but most other EVs don't have it either. VW is the only one I know that has a true coast mode. Prius doesn't even coast. I shift to N in the Prius when I want to coast. What really bugs me is the stupid "sport" mode that many vehicles have that doesn't do anything but remap the accelerator to be less precise/non-linear. That button could have been a coast mode, or any other feature.

In the long run, the efficiency of coasting vs mild regen is minuscule. Might as well feather the throttle or just not worry about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a gripe I have all the time. There should be a coast mode, but most other EVs don't have it either. VW is the only one I know that has a true coast mode. Prius doesn't even coast. I shift to N in the Prius when I want to coast. What really bugs me is the stupid "sport" mode that many vehicles have that don't do anything but remap the accelerator to be less precise/non-linear. That button could have been a coast mode, or any other feature.

In the long run, the efficiency of coasting vs mild regen is minuscule. Might as well feather the throttle or just not worry about it.
This is definitely something I'll be looking out for in the future. I also will make a point to rent a car out on turo before buying in the future.

I had not realized this was an issue until I noticed how on the highway it would Regen 1/3 of the energy I had just expended in accelerating. So insanely stupid and uncomfortable.

It isn't about the efficiency versus. It is about driver comfort. Having to feather the accelerator is annoying and fatiguing over time. I can still feel the ache two days later. I've driven longer periods in my cmax and didn't have this ache. I would estimate that with the bolt Regen profile you have to press on the accelerator 5x more than other cars.

This more than the seats is uncomfortable while driving. I thought the seats were acceptable and that I could get used to them. I cannot get used to the Regen.

It even forces me to accelerate while going downhill just to maintain speed.

I can't believe this is a problem. I had wanted for years to get this car and now I finally can and I run into this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow. I can't believe this is a problem. I think it's absolute magic that I can buy back range just by going down hill. I use cruise control almost all the time. City streets, highways, anywhere where I'm simply keeping a constant speed. Going down hills it will hold the car back and give me range fer nuttin'...just going down hill. Love it. Approaching a light or stop...tap the regen paddle on the wheel disengages cruise. Gauge my distance. Maybe a little throttle. I really only use the brakes in standard normal life long training of reflexive reaction to Stop. Now. Or if I've underestimated my distance or if someone decides to alter my closing distance on their own.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I can still feel the ache two days later.
I have this problem with driving long distance in any vehicle. I was installing aftermarket cruise controls in all my cars in the early days. I use the cruise control in the Bolt even driving five miles into town on a 40 mph back road. Set the cruise control and use the +/- buttons on the steering wheel to keep distance from cars in front.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this problem with driving long distance in any vehicle. I was installing aftermarket cruise controls in all my cars in the early days. I use the cruise control in the Bolt even driving five miles into town on a 40 mph back road. Set the cruise control and use the +/- buttons on the steering wheel to keep distance from cars in front.
I tried using cruise control what is min speed?

I've driven 16 hours in my Ford C-Max and I didn't have the same pain in my leg from driving 6 hours in the bolt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I noticed this fatiguing when I started to drive the Bolt. What I wanted, rather than less regen, was more resistance to the go pedal, enough that I could relax my foot and the pedal would stay at the same position without my foot being in constant tension. I also mentioned it as a "want" in some surveys. That is how my truck feels: at whatever speed I'm at, I can relax my foot and the gas pedal stays at the same position. In the Bolt, relax your foot and the pedal goes forward and you go zoom! Over time, my right foot muscles have adapted and I no longer notice it. I think it would still be a good idea for the pedal to maintain its position until a conscious effort is made to change. But I'm ok with it and I love the regen. I do make heavy use of cruise control, and that eliminates a lot of that issue. I have been thinking that when on the freeway using cruise control that maybe D mode is better. Usually there is no good reason to scrub speed when going down a hill on the freeway, regen isn't 100% efficient.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts