Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Bolts and both have same issue. The regen icon turns grey periodically and a white/grey line appears across the regen bar above. Anyone else?

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is a feature, not a bug.
The grey icon tell you the regen capabiities are currently limited because the car is cold and/or the battery full, while the grey line across the regen bar tell you the current limit of the regen capabilities.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
The grey icon tell you the regen capabiities are currently limited because the car is cold and/or the battery full...
Yes - since regen depends on converting the car's momentum to electrical power and storing it in the battery, it doesn't work when the battery is full because there's no room to store any more energy in it. This is why there's a "Hilltop Reserve" setting under the charging options. When you use this charging mode, the car only charges to a bit less than 90% full, leaving some room in the battery so that regen is effective right away.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Can you elaborate on this part, please? What are the max/min spots for that line? Anything else you can deduce from its location?
When you're using regenerative braking, a green bar drops down from the midpoint (the bold white bar adjacent to the kW reading). The bar gets progressively longer as you use more and more regenerative braking force.

The thin white line represents the lowest that bar will drop, no matter how hard you try to brake. If you're relying on "L" mode regenerative braking and you're not stopping quickly enough by the time that green bar reaches the thin white line, you need to step on the brake pedal to engage the hydraulic brakes. It sounds a bit complicated, but it's pretty intuitive - "I'm not stopping - hit the brakes!".

When the battery is fully charged the thin white line appears in the position shown in TimeToy's photo. As the battery starts to empty, the white line will slowly drop down until it reaches the bottom of the more darkly shaded area just below the kW display - at that point maximum regen is available and the line disappears.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is why there's a "Hilltop Reserve" setting under the charging options. When you use this charging mode, the car only charges to a bit less than 90% full, leaving some room in the battery so that regen is effective right away.
Mine charges to about 85% full in hilltop.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mine charges to about 85% full in hilltop.

Are you counting the green bars on the range estimate display (or on "Flow" - they are the same)? Mine is consistently on 18/20 bars (90%) IF I look on startup. IIRC, if I wait until I have started driving (even 0.1 kWh) it drops into the 17/20 bars (85%) indication.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you're using regenerative braking, a green bar drops down from the midpoint (the bold white bar adjacent to the kW reading). The bar gets progressively longer as you use more and more regenerative braking force.

The thin white line represents the lowest that bar will drop, no matter how hard you try to brake. If you're relying on "L" mode regenerative braking and you're not stopping quickly enough by the time that green bar reaches the thin white line, you need to step on the brake pedal to engage the hydraulic brakes. It sounds a bit complicated, but it's pretty intuitive - "I'm not stopping - hit the brakes!".

When the battery is fully charged the thin white line appears in the position shown in TimeToy's photo. As the battery starts to empty, the white line will slowly drop down until it reaches the bottom of the more darkly shaded area just below the kW display - at that point maximum regen is available and the line disappears.
Excellent summary! Thanks!
However, I don't even see that thin horizontal white line that is shown in the picture. Does this not appear until you get below a certain percentage of full charge?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have heard of, but never noticed the line you guys are talking about. What are you doing staring down at the dash when you are braking? I noticed the spinning regen arrow the first few times I drove. Cute, but totally unnecessary. You get all the information you need from your senses, and the environment. Stop staring at your screens when you drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regen bars that show up sometimes

Actually I've seen the bar. Its only on when you are fully charged, and don't have enough 'space' in the battery to do much regen. This line starts close to the middle of the display when you initially start driving, and then as you deplete some battery charge off, it moves down, almost indicating that you can capture more regen, and eventually it will disappear. I noticed this early on as I have a 40 miles commute and the first part is back roads that don't use much power to drive......

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I have heard of, but never noticed the line you guys are talking about. What are you doing staring down at the dash when you are braking?
The line is there whether you're braking or not, but it will only appear when the battery is full or very nearly so. As noted by the other posters, you won't see it if you always use Hilltop Reserve mode.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The line is there whether you're braking or not, but it will only appear when the battery is full or very nearly so. As noted by the other posters, you won't see it if you always use Hilltop Reserve mode.
Aw, that explains it. I have only done a full charge twice in over 5K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Sean Nelson's explanation. In the past, I only noticed the regen icon greyed out, but never paid attention to the light bar on the right. My strategy to regen energy when the icon turned grey is simple, use D instead of L. Because D's regen power is much less, but it allows longer coasting which essentially let you drive more distance. I have watched my data, I almost did not lose regen energy.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thanks Sean Nelson's explanation. In the past, I only noticed the regen icon greyed out, but never paid attention to the light bar on the right. My strategy to regen energy when the icon turned grey is simple, use D instead of L. Because D's regen power is much less, but it allows longer coasting which essentially let you drive more distance. I have watched my data, I almost did not lose regen energy.

I generally only charge to full before a long trip. I am always aware of that lack of regen for the first 6-12 miles, but then I am usually driving the whole route much differently also. When facing that 240 miles to the next charge, I "conserve-mile" but do not "hyper-mile". I plan my trips to use the interstate AMAP, setting CC on 60 mph (and sometimes 55 mph). On smaller roads, I usually average driving slower, but accelerating and decelerating are more frequent. I usually travel with "good" reserves, but have seen the orange flashing lights on the Driver Information Screen one or two times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts