Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Well, since it is tied to the "mychevrolet" app I guess I will never be able to charge again! That app is burned garbage.

Keith
I'm not throwing away my Chargepoint RFID. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well, since it is tied to the "mychevrolet" app I guess I will never be able to charge again! That app is burned garbage.
The app mostly works for me now. But it sometimes gets stuck and I just close it and reopen. I'll be using the remote start more as things warm up here, so I'm hoping that at least mostly works.

I think it will improve as long as they use the same base app across all brands. Caddy owners won't put up with this carp so they'll have to improve it. My fear is that they leave it a Chevy only app and you have to get something other than a bottom-of-the-bucket Chevy to have a decent app.

·
1,638 Posts
This announcement leaves a few questions in my mind.

When they say integrating with networks, is that simply showing charger status on the app? Running myChevy on Car Play yesterday, I notice a lot of details available for L2 and L3 chargers on a lot of networks, including status. EA sites are also listed, and a toggle in the provider list is present for EA. But no EA status is shown. So while the articles I have seen point out the EA gap, it may just be something they are still working on?

Will they try to use myChevy app to authenticate and initiate charging? Chargepoint and EVGo were activated to do this some time ago. If this will apply to other networks, we would have to link our accounts in the app, and I note this feature is labeled 'Beta' in the app. The process as I understand is to plug in, then use the app to initiate charging in a relatively simple manual process. I assume this could be done on the infotainment screen as well as in the phone app.

Plug & Charge:

P&C is currently only available on EA, but reviews suggest P&C ignores the account plan, so P&C charging fees are based on Guest status, at an obviously higher cost. Will myChevy get around this?

I realize P&C per se is not going to be an option for our current Bolts (maybe future models), but a single app that can find chargers on the projection screen (AA & Car Play), and authenticate\initiate charging would come close to providing a method that is almost as simple as P&C.

But maybe P&C will be possible through myChevy app, using your phone to do the negotiations? The app knows when you are plugged in, and to which charger\network as evidence in the EVGo and Chargepoint integrations already available. Maybe it is just a matter of putting a P&C 'enable' toggle on the account integrations with networks that automatically authorizes charging when plugged in to their chargers? Maybe that is why EA is taking longer to integrate with the app? And maybe it is a way to achieve P&C on networks that don't explicitly support P&C, or support the less rigorous 'Auto Charge' capability like EVGo?

Remaining Issues:

The common complaints about public charging generally fall into a few categories:

1. Limited availability (this is constantly improving), nothing the app can do about this, but partnering with EVGo (and others?) may be a big help.
2. Plethora of accounts, RFID cards, and apps needed.
3. Differences in authentication and initiating charging on various networks.
4. Different billing nuances between networks (CC pre-loads, membership levels, billing per session vs weekly or monthly consolidated bills).

It seems to me, the myChevy app aims to address #2 and #3.

One additional step might be for GM to work out billing arrangements with networks and consolidate billing though GM\OnStar via the myChevy app. It could either be preferred rate status (Pass+ on EA, etc) by virtue of GM paying bulk fees or contributing to expansion of the networks, or a variable monthly billing rate with OnStar which takes into account membership levels users can select in a consolidated billing setup screen. If GM could pull all of this off, the app, and perhaps even an OnStar service with a fee might become a compelling offer. If we could get preferred rates by paying a $5-10 monthly fee for a 'Plug & Charge' type service, and maybe throw in some other OnStar functionality, their take rates on paid services could jump overnight.

Such a consolidated billing plan might take an approach of weekly billing for network use charges, or for a higher monthly fee, monthly billing for network charges.

Given how serious GM seems to be WRT a BEV future, I remain hopeful that what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg and good things are yet to come.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I just need to know the location of the Volta DCFC. It's already Plug and Charge in my book. LOL

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
508 Posts
...Remaining Issues:...
...4. Different billing nuances between networks (CC pre-loads, membership levels, billing per session vs weekly or monthly consolidated bills)...

One additional step might be for GM to work out billing arrangements with networks and consolidate billing though GM\OnStar via the myChevy app...
Part of me thinks that we're still relatively early in the development of charging network businesses, so the pricing models will probably converge to a standard on their own eventually.

The other part of me thinks that the fragmentation of charging networks, including the fragmentation of pricing models, is directly interfering with EV adoption. Anything GM and other automakers can do to speed up standardization is a good thing.

·
1,638 Posts
Part of me thinks that we're still relatively early in the development of charging network businesses, so the pricing models will probably converge to a standard on their own eventually.

The other part of me thinks that the fragmentation of charging networks, including the fragmentation of pricing models, is directly interfering with EV adoption. Anything GM and other automakers can do to speed up standardization is a good thing.
On #1, yup, competition will tend to levelize pricing models. But, not until demand and supply reach some balance. That is a few years off I suspect.

On #2, yup, totally agree. As I outlined in my list of common complaints, there is dysfunction in the current model. No doubt confusion and availability, not to mention slow charging rates are challenges that cause many outsiders to pass on EVs.

I may be a bit optimistic on my speculation, but it seems like there are ways GM could step in and change the game. And that would clearly be a win for consumers.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I just need to know the location of the Volta DCFC. It's already Plug and Charge in my book. LOL
I actually also found it odd that Volta wasn't included in the list of "partner" charging networks, especially since GM did an ad buy with Volta previously.

·
1,638 Posts
I actually also found it odd that Volta wasn't included in the list of "partner" charging networks, especially since GM did an ad buy with Volta previously.
If GM's game is finding chargers, then I agree, maybe it is still coming? I believe they are constantly adding networks.

If their game is authenticating charging through the app, not much to be gained if Volta only offers free (ad supported) chargers.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If GM's game is finding chargers, then I agree, maybe it is still coming? I believe they are constantly adding networks.

If their game is authenticating charging through the app, not much to be gained if Volta only offers free (ad supported) chargers.
True. Although GM users who would rely on the app solely to find charging stations would potentially be missing out. To be honest, Volta doesn't have brand recognition that's as strong as the likes of Chargepoint, EVGO, and Blink.

·
1,638 Posts
True. Although GM users who would rely on the app solely to find charging stations would potentially be missing out. To be honest, Volta doesn't have brand recognition that's as strong as the likes of Chargepoint, EVGO, and Blink.
Right, and their coverage is pretty limited.

·
1,638 Posts
The App also has an 'Other Networks' category. Maybe it picks up (or will) Volta from that?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Right, and their coverage is pretty limited.
That was the same argument ICE folks made about EVs. Just need Volta to continue expanding their locations. Would have been nice if GM had teamed up with Volta instead of EVGo. GM would have scored more PR points with consumers.

·
1,638 Posts
That was the same argument ICE folks made about EVs. Just need Volta to continue expanding their locations. Would have been nice if GM had teamed up with Volta instead of EVGo. GM would have scored major marketing points with consumers.
Maybe they will? No reason GM has to pick one to team up with.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Maybe they will? No reason GM has to pick one to team up with.
Yeah I think EVgo just happened to be the first one that they "partnered" with:

The more networks they can get under their umbrella, the better. I actually like this approach. It makes the "network" so much larger.

Re: Volta, I think they're expanding pretty rapidly, and are geared more towards clientele that shop, so they strategically set up outside malls and groceries (which makes sense considering their business model of bundling advertising with charging).

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yeah I think EVgo just happened to be the first one that they "partnered" with:

The more networks they can get under their umbrella, the better. I actually like this approach. It makes the "network" so much larger.

Re: Volta, I think they're expanding pretty rapidly, and are geared more towards clientele that shop, so they strategically set up outside malls and groceries (which makes sense considering their business model of bundling advertising with charging).
They need to set up Volta stations at all Whole Foods and Trader Joes locations. Those locations have high concentration of SMUG. LOL

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
We don't need an app on the front end to paper over the differences and incompatibilities between networks, we need the networks to standardize their back ends to provide uniform network APIs that all apps can use to determine charger locations, availabilities, and payment authorization. That's the path to real innovation and usability.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
They need to set up Volta stations at all Whole Foods and Trader Joes locations. Those locations have high concentration of SMUG. LOL
I think Volta actually has set up shop in some Whole Foods locations. Having them in ALL locations would be a awesome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts