Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Details of the program look a bit complex:

Thanks to the new Plug and Drive feature in the various GM MyBrand smartphone application, owners of GM-built EVs can now plug their vehicle into a public EVgo charging station, wait for the charging session to be complete and drive away without ever having to fiddle with a third-party smartphone app, RFID fob or credit card. The EVgo charge stall will automatically charge the owner for the session through the GM MyBrand app, which would already have the user’s credit card information on file.

Plug and Charge requires the user to have a GM MyBrand app installed on their smartphone and loaded with their credit card information, as well as an OnStar Connected Services plan, which starts at $24.99 a month in the United States. The user must also sign up for an EVgo account, which will also be linked to their GM MyBrand app.
Claim is that this will work for the Bolt too (per electric and other reports) and expand beyond EvGo (eventually). Not clear to me how OnStar enters the picture.

EDIT: Forbes article does a much better job explaining. 'Plug & Charge' = ISO 15118. 'Plug and Charge' = 'AutoCharge' + extra security. Latter is what Bolts (and presumable other GM EVs) are getting.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without EA, it is pretty worthless.

So they can charge you for OnStar. :rolleyes:
That’s what I was thinking, but I reinstalled the app, logged in and it claims my 2019 Bolt is capable. Certainly I don’t have a paid OnStar account. If all goes well, I’ll try it this afternoon at the local EVGo.

I’d assumed P&C wasn’t supported at the protocol level by the Bolt, so if it (or something equivalent) is, that’d be a nice surprise.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Somewhat surprising news, so I don't believe that this actually follows PNC ISO 15118, but might accomplish something very close, or the same from some users perspective. The list of "Ultium 360" charge providers does lack EA, and of-course EA has already implemented ISO 15118, which works with Ford, and eventually most all other brands.

I agree with @GJETSON , all of my road trips EA has been the only way they were possible, EvGo is nonexistent so far in the North East.

EDIT: I just looked in the app for any "Allow PNC" options or ability to enable it. My app shows it was updated 2 days ago and reports that it is "version 5.15.0 (4108) "

Nothing visible or anywhere that I can find to allow this new functionality

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,251 Posts
Wait, so this is On-Star dependent. Nice, way to turn a feature into something I hate you over GM. It's not a real feature you're giving me if you're going to demand $4,000 over the life of the car for me to use it. It's something you're selling me on my car after the fact. Did not sign up for that arrangement.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,131 Posts
Of Course I live in Minnesota EV desert and No EVGO chargers in the entire State
Fortunately EVGO is just the beginning. EA is unfortunately not on the list, and our regional ZEFNET is missing too, so it could be better. ChargePoint will help us.

These are next for gm's Plug and Charge:
Font Number Circle Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
433 Posts
EVGO is doing this without using ISO 15118. So just because they claim support for Bolt or any CCS, that will not work with EA. And ISO standard includes things to deal with security of the payment, it is not clear how EVGO is handling security with their unique solution.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
EVGO is doing this without using ISO 15118. So just because they claim support for Bolt or any CCS, that will not work with EA. And ISO standard includes things to deal with security of the payment, it is not clear how EVGO is handling security with their unique solution.
Wow that's pretty good! I did not expect the Bolt to get P&C, figured it would be on Ultium vehicles only.
I find the combination of these 2 statements to be perplexing. Especially that they're talking about identical implementations on this new crop of EVs.

I've been posting for awhile that I think ISO 15118 on the Bolt was a possibility because of these side deals with utilities and junk but here we are with charging deals that use the functions without the standard.... sigh.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,139 Posts
Wow that's pretty good! I did not expect the Bolt to get P&C, figured it would be on Ultium vehicles only.
I'm guessing they aren't. It's probably something that happens on the backend and requires the network for the charger to be active when you try to charge. GM knows where your vehicle is if you have OnStar. The charging stations know what your VIN is without P&C. It's probably just correlated and your session starts.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I find the combination of these 2 statements to be perplexing. Especially that they're talking about identical implementations on this new crop of EVs.

I've been posting for awhile that I think ISO 15118 on the Bolt was a possibility because of these side deals with utilities and junk but here we are with charging deals that use the functions without the standard.... sigh.
According to an article in Forbes by Sam Abuelsamid, it's not as bad as it sounds. And eventually GM will be using an updated ISO standard too.
Font Number Document

Clothing Hair Human body Mammal Font

Reactions: RacerX00

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
results of chat with EA just now asking about PNC with Chevy Bolt, not getting anywhere with them...
"
I read today's announcement from GM that they now offer Plug N Charge on the Chevy Bolt, I know that EA offers Plug and Charge, will it work with EA? I do not see you folks listed on the list of charge providers yet..

Thank you for reaching out to Electrify America, I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding our network.

While all of our stations offer Plug and Charge, we recommend reaching out to the vehicle's manufacturer directly to verify the vehicle's Plug and Charge compatibility with our network.

OK, I will do that, but can you tell me if you folks have tested Plug and charge with the Chevy Bolt? (2020 MY)

At this time, we do not have this specific information to provide, however be sure to keep an eye on our "News & Updates" page on our website here: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/ for any potential future announcements regarding Plug and Charge with the Chevy Bolt on our network.

OK "

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
results of chat with EA just now asking about PNC with Chevy Bolt, not getting anywhere with them...
"
I read today's announcement from GM that they now offer Plug N Charge on the Chevy Bolt, I know that EA offers Plug and Charge, will it work with EA? I do not see you folks listed on the list of charge providers yet..

Thank you for reaching out to Electrify America, I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding our network.

While all of our stations offer Plug and Charge, we recommend reaching out to the vehicle's manufacturer directly to verify the vehicle's Plug and Charge compatibility with our network.

OK, I will do that, but can you tell me if you folks have tested Plug and charge with the Chevy Bolt? (2020 MY)

At this time, we do not have this specific information to provide, however be sure to keep an eye on our "News & Updates" page on our website here: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/ for any potential future announcements regarding Plug and Charge with the Chevy Bolt on our network.

OK "
It gets confusing because the standard used by EA is technically called Plug & Charge. EVgo with GM is using what they call Plug and Charge. Two different standards. At least that's how I read it.

EA is not on the list for "Plug and Charge", so no, the Bolt won't do Plug and Charge at an EA station, or Plug & Charge either

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
According to an article in Forbes by Sam Abuelsamid, it's not as bad as it sounds. And eventually GM will be using an updated ISO standard too.
View attachment 43724
View attachment 43725

Yeah they just finalized it (the standard) last month, I'm the ******* here if they do wind up putting it in over the next 6 months or so.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,005 Posts
It gets confusing because the standard used by EA is technically called Plug & Charge. EVgo with GM is using what they call Plug and Charge. Two different standards. At least that's how I read it.

EA is not on the list for "Plug and Charge", so no, the Bolt won't do Plug and Charge at an EA station, or Plug & Charge either
Apparently, the ISO 15118 is "Plug&Charge" (no space, all one word). Can ISO trademark "Plug and Charge" or is it too late? This seems like an intentional attempt by GM and EVgo to confuse consumers. "Do you support Plug&Charge? Yeah, we're 100% compatible with Plug and Charge."

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

I see that now, the Forbs article linked above by you cleared that up for me, thanks...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts