Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

GM is considering allowing other automakers to use the Volt powertrain. Dan Nicholson, GM VP of Global Powertrains, confirmed this in an interview with Automotive news saying, "We have a history of being a good partner" and "We want to be the partner of choice in propulsion system development in this complex and turbulent era we are approaching."

Nicholson did not say that any companies have approached GM about this, but the move could be beneficial to both GM and its rivals. Rivals would gain access to the Voltec powertrain (FCA maybe?), and GM would be able to recoup development costs from the research and development spent on the engine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This will make getting parts for this engine down the road cheaper and easier to come by, not just from GM but aftermarket companies that make OEM-spec parts. Will be interesting to see which car makers take advantage of this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like when Tesla opened up their patents for use but GM is just charging for it. Either way, great for buyers in the long run.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The way I take it is they're just buying time, greener systems are the mainstream way to go and they're late to the game with bringing them to market. Imagine if they had followed in Toyota's footsteps when they started with greener systems... FCA would be far better off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But at this point I don't think they are so far behind. I think the Bolt will be competing pretty well with the Prius.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Toyota's Prius is a hybrid so they could benefit from GM's Voltec Engine too. Not really a competitor to the Bolt EV when it's a hybrid.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Toyota's Prius is a hybrid so they could benefit from GM's Voltec Engine too. Not really a competitor to the Bolt EV when it's a hybrid.
I thought that might be a way for Toyota but they have come a long way now with attracting an audience. Investing in their own system would pay for itself in good timing. Plus Toyota is one of the brands taking a slower approach to going EV. I think they said it somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts