Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM will host a two-hour webcast on March 4th with the investment community to present its electrification plans:

General Motors Company will host a webcast for the investment community on Wednesday, March 4th, 2020 at 12:30 PM EST. Please join us to learn more about GM’s electrification strategy. The event will include remarks from management and subject matter experts, followed by a question and answer session.

A webcast link for the event and presentation materials will be available under the “Events” section of GM’s investor website at approximately 8:00 AM EST.

Investor webcasts are usually more interactive than CEO press statements; sometimes the investment community asks good questions. PDF files distributed during the event are also a good source of information. In any case, you will get the information a few days before it hits the popular websites.

Here is the link

·
Registered
989 Posts
I read online Warren Buffet's Berkshire recently invested some into GM. Also, I do have a relative who retired from GM (the old Pre- Bankruptcy GM). He still attends GM events in Michigan every September. The last few years not much of anything substantive was shown to him - just a lot of power points , presentations and talking. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to go against Tesla. The Bolt is ok but seems to hit a flat note compared to Tesla's recent offerings (which have of course come out AFTER the Bolt).

·
Registered
568 Posts
I read online Warren Buffet's Berkshire recently invested some into GM. Also, I do have a relative who retired from GM (the old Pre- Bankruptcy GM). He still attends GM events in Michigan every September. The last few years not much of anything substantive was shown to him - just a lot of power points , presentations and talking. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to go against Tesla. The Bolt is ok but seems to hit a flat note compared to Tesla's recent offerings (which have of course come out AFTER the Bolt).
I understand what you're saying but comparing the Bolt and the M3 is comparing apples to oranges. Yes,they both are EVs but even the lowest common denominator, price, is apples to oranges when we can get a nicely equipped LT or Premier out the door for under 30k.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I understand what you're saying but comparing the Bolt and the M3 is comparing apples to oranges. Yes,they both are EVs but even the lowest common denominator, price, is apples to oranges when we can get a nicely equipped LT or Premier out the door for under 30k.
Yes it's still human nature to make comparisons and dream of something better. I don't see too many Tesla owners wishing they would have gotten Bolts. They may be out there I am not hearing about them. I sometimes wish I would have gotten a Tesla but am generally happy with Bolt including the $$ saved.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes it's still human nature to make comparisons and dream of something better. I don't see too many Tesla owners wishing they would have gotten Bolts. They may be out there I am not hearing about them. I sometimes wish I would have gotten a Tesla but am generally happy with Bolt including the $$ saved.
Me too. I had a deposit on a M3 for about 6 weeks 2 years ago but I changed my mind. The plate I ordered for it, THE FUTR,didn't look right on my car,so I retired it and 2 weeks ago, ordered it again for the Bolt.
I have been saying the Bolt at current prices is the best deal in the industry, but I now say the C8 is the best bargain. The Bolt is the certain #2 and surely the best in the EV market.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't see too many Tesla owners wishing they would have gotten Bolts. They may be out there I am not hearing about them. I sometimes wish I would have gotten a Tesla but am generally happy with Bolt including the $$ saved.
I don't think that's a fair comparison because of the significant difference in cost. Most people who bought a Tesla can probably comfortably afford to do so, and I'm guessing a Tesla may have put a bit of a strain on the finances of the majority of Bolt owners, or the majority of Bolt owners who could afford a Tesla chose to put a premium on the value of the Bolt.

The first group would probably never wish they had bought a Bolt because they were never in the market for one in the first place, and the second group, well, who doesn't want something cooler, shinier, and more expensive?

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's fair. To be honest, sometimes when I pass a Model 3 on my way to work (which is at least 5+ times a day), I think that I should've bought one or that I should buy one when my 2017 lease is up. I could afford it but I'm not going to because:
  • I can't personally justify spending that much money on a car
  • I like the size and form factor of the Bolt more
  • I only road-trip with the Bolt once a year
Now, if I made double+ my current salary, I probably wouldn't be driving a Bolt as my primary car, but might have one in the garage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree. The Bolt is an EV whereas the Tesla is both an EV and a girl magnet for us guys. Perhaps this explains the difference in price.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't think that's a fair comparison because of the significant difference in cost. Most people who bought a Tesla can probably comfortably afford to do so, and I'm guessing a Tesla may have put a bit of a strain on the finances of the majority of Bolt owners, or the majority of Bolt owners who could afford a Tesla chose to put a premium on the value of the Bolt.

The first group would probably never wish they had bought a Bolt because they were never in the market for one in the first place, and the second group, well, who doesn't want something cooler, shinier, and more expensive?
I can give you the perspective of a frugal tightwad that chose the Model 3 over the Bolt.

I seriously am considered a cheap penny pincher among my acquaintances and co-workers so I'm not just playing the part to be dishonest,
All my previous cars were used but I have a weakness for well engineered, thought out cars so my last two ICEV's were used BMW's. I did the majority of the work on them myself. Drove them till the wheels fell off, almost literally.

As I was thinking long term and retirement not that far off, was trying to cull the herd and get my fixed costs to the bare minimum so that when I retired, I could live below the earned income cap that would avoid capital gains taxes.
I stuck my feet in the water with a used Leaf that I bought in 2015 for $7k at auction. Fantastic runabout for around town but no way could I go beyond a 30 mile radius without a lengthy charging stop and it did not have fast charging. I had the 545 garage queen anyway for the road trips, but I knew then that EV's were the future, especially when looking at the TCO. Again, wrenching my own cars, I had a pretty good understanding of what the real costs were after warranty and knew that as I aged, I would be less inclined to be changing oil (not worth doing yourself anyway), coils, radiators, alternators mufflers, etc.

This brings me back to simplifying my life, knowing that I only wanted one car to minimize insurance, registration, maintenance, etc. and it had to be EV, I knew that the Bolt could never be that "one car that can do it all". I really wasn't keen on renting a car for the road trips as I average at least 1/month as well as lugging a hang glider to the flight park a dozen times in the summer. When I do need a hatchback, I can just borrow my son's Leaf. I did have to rent a Lowes truck to bring home a dishwasher but so far, the sedan is working for me.
As to how to justify the <$10k difference between the 3 and the Bolt, well, it's really not even a consideration as it's just about impossible for the Bolt to do just one trip to the flight park and back as there is nothing but a handful of level 2's en-route maybe.

I had planned on upgrading my BMW to a newer 3 series and was willing to spend the $40k my Tesla costs but over time, the Tesla was a better value. And I can probably sell the Tesla for $30k next year if I upgrade to the Cybertruck or Model Y.

I usually keep my cars for 10 years minimum so after warranty, I may have a different outlook but for now, am glad I bought the Tesla and never had misgivings about the extra $150/month compared to the Bolt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for your perspective. I think because I am relatively younger middle-aged (38), and never really had money, my perspective is such that I have a difficult time spending what I do on the Bolt. It's somewhat illogical because I have no problem spending more money on vacations and vinyl records and good beer, but for some reason, cars are different for me. Plus I have a soft spot for GM because my dad and grandfather worked their entire lives for a company that makes wiring harnesses for GM.

I understand where you're coming from, and I might feel differently when my salary keeps (hopefully) increasing and I'm closer to retirement, but for now I just feel better in the Bolt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well said. I love our two Bolts (2017 LT and now 2020 Premier), they make for nearly perfect short/mid range vehicles and even long range in a pinch; however, I long for owning a vehicle made by people who constantly innovate and are passionate about a sustainable future, it's just pretty sad comparing any other car company to one that constantly sends out updates over the air to their vehicles and adding such (seemingly simple) but life changing features such as Dog Mode. I know that in next few years I want to do much more long range travel around the country and will probably settle on a one Tesla, one Bolt ownership set up. Luckily our 2017 LT lease is due next May 21' and at that time i will most definitely get either a Model 3 or Y. The 2020 Bolt I may even decide to buy at end of lease in 3 years, it's a great 1st or 2nd car (depending on your driving needs). I do believe in also supporting legacy automakers by purchasing/leasing their electric vehicle efforts and only their ev's, putting my money where my heart and mouth is, and ultimately that's the only way they'll get the message, and either evolve or die away.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Agree. The Bolt is an EV whereas the Tesla is both an EV and a girl magnet for us guys. Perhaps this explains the difference in price.
I don't think I would be interested in a girl whose initial interest in me was due to the car I am driving. Then again, I'm not the kind of guy who would ever be interested in a hookup or a one-night-stand. Some guys are much deeper than that.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
a good summary of what has been covered today

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
What I want to know is how GM plans to sell a 2 mi/kWh Cadillac Unpronounceable SUV. Even using those great EA 350 kW chargers, with that miserable efficiency, it will take a long time to charge..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What I want to know is how GM plans to sell a 2 mi/kWh Cadillac Unpronounceable SUV. Even using those great EA 350 kW chargers, with that miserable efficiency, it will take a long time to charge..

Honestly, I don't see the problem. It is half as efficient as the Bolt, but charges 6x as fast. So it adds miles 3x as fast. Instead of a 1-hour stop, the Cadillac will need a 20-minute stop. Not every spec has to exceed Tesla in order to be a good EV. The square shape certainly gives a lot more usable space, for example.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't think I would be interested in a girl whose initial interest in me was due to the car I am driving. Then again, I'm not the kind of guy who would ever be interested in a hookup or a one-night-stand. Some guys are much deeper than that.
Agreed, but I've changed my opinion of superficial things a little over the years. Flashy things might be a thing that grabs a girls attention. Even women with more complex interests can find superficial things to be attractive. Although you wouldn't want a relationship based entirely on such superficial things, you also don't do yourself any favors by avoiding all superficial pursuits. Ultimately though, we should present ourselves realistically. We all have varying degrees of practical vs playful, and we should advertise accurately to reflect that.

As an aside, my wife doesn't like Tesla because she thinks it conveys an uppity personality. I've never considered a vehicle to convey anything about me because each one was purchased for different purposes. What does a Prius, Acura, sportbike, full-size truck, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Legacy... convey about me? I've had a woman say she wasn't "getting into that thing" referring to my beat up Subaru, to which I said "I'm leaving now, so get in". One woman said "creepy" when she saw that my Acura was a manual. I had a girlfriend that thought riding a motorcycle was attractive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Honestly, I don't see the problem. It is half as efficient as the Bolt, but charges 6x as fast. So it adds miles 3x as fast. Instead of a 1-hour stop, the Cadillac will need a 20-minute stop. Not every spec has to exceed Tesla in order to be a good EV. The square shape certainly gives a lot more usable space, for example.
If you have the means to pay 100 grand for one, with the additional sky high registration fees and insurance costs, power cost probably won't even register.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Honestly, I don't see the problem. It is half as efficient as the Bolt, but charges 6x as fast. So it adds miles 3x as fast.
The 60 kWh Bolt can hit 55 kW, or 0.9 C. The 200 kWh battery in the Caddy will hit 350 kW, or 1.75 C...1.9 times as fast. Without knowing the taper, we can't say if it will add miles any faster.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts