Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So GM sales miss for the first quarter and they state they have too much inventory. I look at all those Bolts sitting in Cali and shake my head everyday I can't have one. I called my local Auto Nation Chevy and tell them they have exact car I want and it is on a CA Auto Nation lot and can we ship here to AZ? Sorry Steve we can't do anything until May. I ask is that May 1st. Sorry Steve I can't answer that. Ok on May 1st can we ship car from CA to AZ if it's still there? Not sure Steve we will need to look into it, but you are # 2 on list to order for late June /July delivery. Frustrating to say the least. Pissed that I missed the Pirate ship by a week.>:):crying:

·
Registered
734 Posts
You might have some luck checking for a Bolt rental on Turo. Given all the hype around it I would be surprised if no one tries to leverage that. It would sort of help your waiting process ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's bloated in Cali since they were the first ones to get the Bolt and by now, those who really wanted one would have purchased a Bolt already. Would speed up the sale process if they would just ship those Bolts to the surrounding states with people waiting for one.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can see why you would be frustrated. They're literally sitting there and you still have to wait excessively long!

But I wonder if they'll start dropping some discounts on the cali ones yet?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick search of 4 SoCal dealers I found 380 Bolts available. I have seen discounts of $2-3K at some dealers.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
It's bloated in Cali since they were the first ones to get the Bolt and by now, those who really wanted one would have purchased a Bolt already. Would speed up the sale process if they would just ship those Bolts to the surrounding states with people waiting for one.
Some out of state dealers aren't waiting for Bolts to officially roll out in their area, and are picking up CA Bolts from dealers. Any Bolt in FL, CO, WA has been acquired through back channels. If a dealer is willing to pay for shipping for these Bolts, that shows there is definitely demand in their area....otherwise they wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
High inventory in CA could be related to CARB credits that GM gets whenever any Bolt is sold in CARB state from that inventory. It could be that the CARB credits eventually received will outplay the the costs for the additional time Bolt sits on the inventory in CARB state? That is the only logical reason I could think of for huge dealer inventory in CA, I may be wrong though. Or it could be just a poor inventory management from GM!

·
Registered
44 Posts
So GM sales miss for the first quarter and they state they have too much inventory. I look at all those Bolts sitting in Cali and shake my head everyday I can't have one. I called my local Auto Nation Chevy and tell them they have exact car I want and it is on a CA Auto Nation lot and can we ship here to AZ? Sorry Steve we can't do anything until May. I ask is that May 1st. Sorry Steve I can't answer that. Ok on May 1st can we ship car from CA to AZ if it's still there? Not sure Steve we will need to look into it, but you are # 2 on list to order for late June /July delivery. Frustrating to say the least. Pissed that I missed the Pirate ship by a week.>:):crying:
Are they still willing sell to non CA resident who can give a CA friend's address and pay by cash, like other AZ poster did?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
High inventory in CA could be related to CARB credits that GM gets whenever any Bolt is sold in CARB state from that inventory. It could be that the CARB credits eventually received will outplay the the costs for the additional time Bolt sits on the inventory in CARB state? That is the only logical reason I could think of for huge dealer inventory in CA, I may be wrong though. Or it could be just a poor inventory management from GM!
IIRC, GM gets 1 CARB ZEV credit for every Bolt it ships and lands at dealers in CA. So there is definitely financial incentive (in the form of CARB credits) to deliver as many Bolts as possible to CA dealers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ditto on frustrated. AZ residents cannot order until May. With sluggish sales AZ dealers are unlikely to want to carry a large number of Bolts. I would not be surprised to see some AZ dealers do a special order only for Bolt sales. 380 Bolts sitting just across the border and I cannot get one.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Are they still willing sell to non CA resident who can give a CA friend's address and pay by cash, like other AZ poster did?
Rydell told me recently that they can once again sell to out of state residents (no leases though). Don't even need a CA address. I think the only caveat is that you have to pay CA registration fees (~$400). I had my Bolt registered in CA even though I am a MD resident (not sure how that's possible, but whatever). I even got CA tags and everything. Didn't have to pay CA tax, since it was being shipped out of state.

I don't see any reason you can't purchase a Bolt and have it shipped to AZ. You would NEED to have it shipped, otherwise you will get slammed with paying CA taxes.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Rydell told me recently that they can once again sell to out of state residents (no leases though). Don't even need a CA address. I think the only caveat is that you have to pay CA registration fees (~$400). I had my Bolt registered in CA even though I am a MD resident (not sure how that's possible, but whatever). I even got CA tags and everything. Didn't have to pay CA tax, since it was being shipped out of state.
Then you had to register/pay plate fees in MD too correct (in addition to MD sales tax)?
Sounds like CA double dipping to me.
Guess you still come out ahead though with the $3k discounts CA dealers are offering on the Premier models...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Rydell is probably very happy to be able to sell out of state too if the flow of Bolt buyers have gone down. And they're willing to give you a discount!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So last couple of days have been fun. Found the car I want at different CA dealer. Got approval to purchase car from out of state. Full loaded Kinetic Blue with 7 miles on it and $2999 off MSRP. Start the ball rolling with financing and down payment. Get call back from dealer car has 362 miles on it as it has been demo driver. Ask for more off the price and said he needs to talk to manger. Get call back that they will ship car to me in AZ for free. Paper work on its way and hope to have car by Thursday. Will pay AZ sales tax and registration upon arrival. Can't wait!!! Now will have 2015 Volt and 2017 Bolt in the garage. Also get free charging at work so no need to use the L2 at home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts