Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 804 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
What's my compensation for reducing my 60 KWH battery to 54?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Seems like more evidence to suggest the BMS is at fault, at least for not correctly charging/balancing degraded cells. In that other thread it was reported that 1 cell had nearly 100 ohms of resistance, which is a heck of a lot. It would surely concentrate a lot of heat into that 1 cell if the BMS didn't correct for that.

The recall, which covers more than 50,900 Bolts in the U.S., will require dealerships to reflash the vehicles' battery software to limit the maximum state of charge to 90%, Ortega said: "We believe this action will reduce the risk of battery fire while we work to identify the issue, and determine the appropriate final repair. We expect this software update to be available beginning Nov. 17."
They suggest using Hilltop Reserve and only charge to 90%. There's no way I would perform a recall that limits my charge to 90%, especially when I can do that myself without wasting my time at the stealership.

What's my compensation for reducing my 60 KWH battery to 54?
Reminds me of how VW "fixed" the dieselgate vehicles by a software update that made them much less fuel efficient and quicker to burn out the DPF.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this looks like more of a preventative measure than an actual cure. I run my Bolt EV on Hilltop Reserve most of the time anyway, but I haven't been shying away from charging to 100% from time to time.

It seems to me that this recall is completely unnecessary. Just set the Target Charge Limit to 90% or activate Hilltop Reserve, and you've done the same thing while saving yourself a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This sounds like a giant mess. I just checked the app and I have the recall notice. Per InsideEVs report, they also want you to park outside of garages and carports... except in the Winter I need 100% and always garage park lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder if this is one way of determining if you have the 66kwh battery pack?

Said differently, if you got a recall notice, you have the older batter pack.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just called the EV concierge number on the recall notice and they said they have options available for people who need 100% and appointments are being made starting on the 17th. They need to get more guidance before they can address my specific situation. I'm still on the phone with them and will update if there's anything else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine shows now recalls on the web page or the App

Anyway, since early this year I'm charging to 70-80% as my pre COVID-19 commute used 16Kwh a day, but for sure I'll sleep better now.

It would seem the leave the car outside is a CTB against liability coming for any fires.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My recall shows up on the website and the app. Oddly enough when I called in, it doesn't show up on Chevy's system yet so they were going to check back in with me later today. Once it shows up, they were talking about getting me a rental/loaner car until things were sorted... and things were so well in 2020... I was wondering what was going to happen on Friday the 13th.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Those that run Torque and monitor pack health probably aren't at risk of fire. I'll bet the problem only exhibits for unhealthy battery packs or cells. The reason why fires aren't more common is likely because it takes 2 or more things to go wrong at the same time.
That's what I was thinking. Also, since most of the fires happened in the last 6-9 months, that might suggest the same scenario: cells getting out of spec over time and having a hard time when carged to full. I think I'll wait until GM has a "real" solution; I only charge to 80% anyway. My guess is they'll reprogram the BMS, maybe so that it lowers the charge rate even more between 90 and 100%.

Mike

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My guess is a massive battery recall. This recall even seems to shift blame to LG, something which they probably wouldn't have mentioned unless it was very likely the battery manufacturer shares some responsibility. Whether the recall will replace defective cells, or the entire pack I don't know. Perhaps you're right that a BMS reprogram will be sufficient to monitor pack health and only trigger a battery recall when defects are detected.

There was an early TSB that performed an update on 2017 models to more closely monitor battery health and proactively alert owners of faults. Apparently that wasn't enough, and didn't affect only the early 2017 model.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ya, if the numbers on gmauthority are right (Chevrolet Bolt EV Sales Numbers) then 68,000 recalls is more than the total of 2017-2019 sold in Canada and the US so I think
Truth_in_adv is correct about the 66kwh packs being the only unaffected batteries. I have a hard time seeing GM convincing everyone to only use 90% of their vehicle, though. One would think that the liability of fire danger would also warrant a full rebuild of the pack but I can't imagine the cost to LG/GM.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah limiting range would suck. It's why I bought the vehicle. That and not a Hyundai product. I still remember the Pony. Didn't Tesla pull some shenanigans on range? It's also telling that GM doesn't have remote access to vehicles by telling customers to take the vehicle in. So that's at least somewhat good.
I can live with limiting my charging to 90% temporarily. But certainly not permanently.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
One would think that the liability of fire danger would also warrant a full rebuild of the pack but I can't imagine the cost to LG/GM.
I was initially thinking the same thing, but I bet there is at least 2 failures that must occur for there to be a fire danger. It could be that BMS reprogramming can eliminate one of those failures, making the battery safe. I do think at minimum, closer monitoring of battery health will result in increased cell/pack replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I typically use hilltop reserve and when I get into the cabin in the morning, I'm welcomed to a relatively cold car espicailly now due to the cold mornings.

I charged to 100% a week ago and I noticed that the cabin was nice and toasty an hour after fully charged...seems like a nice cold morning feature to me.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, if the numbers on gmauthority are right (Chevrolet Bolt EV Sales Numbers) then 68,000 recalls is more than the total of 2017-2019 sold in Canada and the US so I think
Truth_in_adv is correct about the 66kwh packs being the only unaffected batteries. I have a hard time seeing GM convincing everyone to only use 90% of their vehicle, though. One would think that the liability of fire danger would also warrant a full rebuild of the pack but I can't imagine the cost to LG/GM.
It really depends. Many owners never come close to using the full 100% range in a day, and even though I drive 150+ miles a day, I still leave it in Hilltop Reserve most of the time.

The other point is, yes, these are LG packs. GM asked LG to build a pack to the Bolt EV's specifications, so this is really not that different than a Takata airbag or GETRAG transmission. If there's a recall due to a faulty third-party design, it's on the third party to cure. GM are middlemen at this point.

1 - 20 of 804 Posts