Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

661 - 680 of 820 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
That being said, my next (first) maintenance is still 20,000 miles away, and I don't intend to take the car into a dealership until GM produces an actual solution that involves more than removing the to 10% capacity.
If the maintenance you're referring to is the brake or cooling system flush, you can always get that done somewhere else. There's no obligation to have that work done at a GM dealer, it's just a good idea to keep the receipt in case there's any question as to whether or not the car has been properly maintained. It's not as if there's something mysterious about a brake system flush on an EV.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
If the maintenance you're referring to is the brake or cooling system flush, you can always get that done somewhere else. There's no obligation to have that work done at a GM dealer, it's just a good idea to keep the receipt in case there's any question as to whether or not the car has been properly maintained. It's not as if there's something mysterious about a brake system flush on an EV.
It's the 150,000 mile maintenance, which I thought included a coolant system flush. I'll have to check the manual.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just remembered that somewhere along the "to-HTR or not-to-HTR" threads of yore someone had referenced that GM had engineered the battery to be charged to 100%, and found one of the sources, via an article based off of a Facebook AMA (Torque News, Oct 2019). Boy oh boy, that quote from the GM engineer did NOT age well.

"We engineered the battery system so that you can charge to 100% and maximize range. Do whatever is best for your personal circumstances. If you want maximum range, charge to 100%. If you want to leave room for regenerative energy when you start to drive, use Target Charge/Hill Top Reserve."

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
For those who do not want the battery limitation update, I would make that very clear to your service rep if you take the vehicle into a dealership for any reason. I imagine they automatically apply the update without prior discussion with the owner. Once it's on they aren't going to remove it until the next update is released.

I got a second callback this morning. Turns out the concierge I talked with yesterday spoke out of turn.
It seemed odd that the lowest person in the company somehow has an official remedy, meanwhile nobody else higher up is making that claim. As someone else said, you need to get what is said in writing, otherwise it's difficult to hold people to.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, are we obligated to have the final recall performed on our cars? Would we be able to take our Bolts into Chevy for unrelated maintenance and not have to worry about someone limiting capacity? I ask because if their solution is to limit the capacity/range, we can do that ourselves and still have an option for long trips. I'm hoping this is unlikely and that the fix will be some kind of early detection of the problem.
The Chevy dealers by me all plug in a scan tool when the vehicle checks in. It automatically populates the service visit, looks for error codes, and checks for open recalls, at least according to a service advisor I asked some years back. Not sure if you are obligated to have it done, but I would make clear you don't want it if for some reason you don't.

Edit: The more I think about this if it is a safety recall, which this is, they probably are required to perform it. How would it look if you took your vehicle in, they did not perform the safety recall, and then you had an issue. That would be hard for GM to defend. Of course if you own it, not a lease, you might be able to fill something out declining it but I am just not sure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So, I charge mostly for free, until the weather turns really cold, then I'll plug in the 2 EV's at home, outside.
I drive the Bolt once or twice a week so I can use the free public charger near my work. (cheep, cheep...)

I don't want to walk away and leave a free 20% on the table. :rolleyes:
I don't want to limit the road trip capability with this '90% temporary fix' recall.

So, who pays,,,, if my Bolt becomes the 3rd (?) one to combust?
My car insurance? What about a police report if it happens away from home?
Chevy? Are they taking any responsibility so far?

I do want to get the "DC Fast Charge Robustness Improvements" service done.
Can I get that performed without the 90% Recall done?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, are we obligated to have the final recall performed on our cars? Would we be able to take our Bolts into Chevy for unrelated maintenance and not have to worry about someone limiting capacity? I ask because if their solution is to limit the capacity/range, we can do that ourselves and still have an option for long trips. I'm hoping this is unlikely and that the fix will be some kind of early detection of the problem.
I'd assume that if it's a safety recall and your car visits a dealer, it will be done with no choice to the owner. GM want's to limit their liability exposure. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If they were to offer me a free battery replacement right now, I might still feel uneasy. What I want is a safe battery, be it 60 or 66 kWh. Perhaps that safe battery is already the one I have... Perhaps the replacement would not be safer. I think I'd prefer an improved firmware that can detect an impending problem and THEN, offer me a battery replacement only if needed.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I don't want to walk away and leave a free 20% on the table. :rolleyes:
I don't want to limit the road trip capability with this '90% temporary fix' recall.

So, who pays,,,, if my Bolt becomes the 3rd (?) one to combust?
My car insurance? What about a police report if it happens away from home?
Chevy? Are they taking any responsibility so far?

I do want to get the "DC Fast Charge Robustness Improvements" service done.
Can I get that performed without the 90% Recall done?
You don't have to avoid charging to 100%. It's your call, GM just doesn't recommend it after 5 fires out of 70,000 vehicles. If it were me, I'd check out my battery with Torque, and if the cells appeared to be well balanced, I'd feel comfortable charging to 100% in my garage.

Who pays would be your insurance, and then GM may reimburse your insurance. Not something you need to think about.

You'll have to ask your dealer about getting the cold weather charging update, but not installing the latest update. I suspect you cannot get the prior one without getting the latest. My company pulls older versions of software when defects that could affect safety are involved, and only makes available the corrective software. Probably the same in the auto world.

If they were to offer me a free battery replacement right now, I might still feel unwary. What I want is a safe battery, be it 60 or 66 kWh. Perhaps that safe battery is already the one I have... Perhaps the replacement would not be safer. I think I'd prefer an improved firmware that can detect an impending problem and THEN, offer me a battery replacement only if needed.
Pretty sure they aren't going to make the same mistake twice. Safety is relative. There will be fires with the newer battery too, it just matters that there are fewer.

I'd accept the new battery, but I'd drag my feet until towards the end of the window to have the work performed, thereby putting more wear and tear on the old battery before getting a replacement. Who knows, they may even improve the battery again in the later revision of the design for those who wait.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think I'd prefer an improved firmware that can detect an impending problem and THEN, offer me a battery replacement only if needed.
Pretty sure that is what GM would prefer, if it can be done and the number of batteries actually needing expensive repair or replacement is relatively small.

Of course, whether the defect is reliably detectable in software so that it is prevented from being a fire risk (presumably by refusing to charge to full), with warning for the owner to take it in for repair, is an unanswered question.

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK so GM installs the 66kWh Batter in all the Bolts... BUT they Limit access to the original 60kWh...and open up the 6 for a fee!

As Much as I think that would "suck" ...it would still be more than fair for most drivers. All the Miles you drove just wiped away with a new Battery..and hey you want some extra range you can buy it..maybe$1,000-$1,500 to open up the other 6

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
OK so GM installs the 66kWh Batter in all the Bolts... BUT they Limit access to the original 60kWh...and open up the 6 for a fee!

As Much as I think that would "suck" ...it would still be more than fair for most drivers. All the Miles you drove just wiped away with a new Battery..and hey you want some extra range you can buy it..maybe$1,000-$1,500 to open up the other 6
Given the time, stress, and inconvenience, I'd think Bolt EV owners would get that 6 kWh for free.

Here's a better one... a $5,000 option to upgrade to an 80 kWh Ultium pack with 150 kW charging. ;)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #679
I would totally jump on this if offered. IF.
I doubt GM could/would. The primary reason is that the future Bolt EV and EUV are both still slated to use the original Bolt EV battery format. Giving prior Bolt EV owners the option to upgrade would mean they'd also need to give Bolt EV and EUV owners the option to upgrade at purchase (and why wouldn't they?).

·
Registered
391 Posts
I doubt GM could/would. The primary reason is that the future Bolt EV and EUV are both still slated to use the original Bolt EV battery format. Giving prior Bolt EV owners the option to upgrade would mean they'd also need to give Bolt EV and EUV owners the option to upgrade at purchase (and why wouldn't they?).
I would say options are good. If it's a simple bolt-in rather than hack and whack then absolutely offer the up-sell. The option should be much more than through the recall/warranty though.
I would pay nothing more for a same battery replacement (that doesn't ignite).
I might be willing to pay a little for the 66.
I could easily see paying something for the 80. But not as much as what the option would be on a new model if they were offering the option on it.
The T brand does this already. You can have this range. Or for more money you can have that range.

661 - 680 of 820 Posts