Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

681 - 700 of 820 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, who pays,,,, if my Bolt becomes the 3rd (?) one to combust?
My car insurance? What about a police report if it happens away from home?
Chevy? Are they taking any responsibility so far?
My car is one of the ones that burnt. I went through my insurance first and then contacted GM. GM said they could not help me because I contacted my insurance first.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dont know if this has been posted but in my "recall letter" it reads..

"""""""""""""We are working around the clock on our continued investigation and we intend to deploy a final remedy and remove the 90% limitations as soon as possible after the first of the year"

Initially, I thought it sounded as if they are suggesting a software issue to deploy..I read it again ..and yeah it could mean anything

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
214 Posts
Here's a better one... a $5,000 option to upgrade to an 80 kWh Ultium pack with 150 kW charging.
Not that you need my permission, but feel free to pinch yourself to wake up 😃 GM won't do this for the same reason Nissan and most other manufactures don't offer battery upgrades, they'd rather sell you a new car for various reasons, namely more 💰

·
Registered
214 Posts
There's apparently a class action suit against Hyundai over the Kona. It will be interesting to see what happens. I thought this short article was a worthwhile read, although there's nothing really ground breaking.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Not that you need my permission, but feel free to pinch yourself to wake up 😃 GM won't do this for the same reason Nissan and most other manufactures don't offer battery upgrades, they'd rather sell you a new car for various reasons, namely more 💰
Okay, what if the deal included a requirement that you wouldn't participate in a class action lawsuit for the Bolt EV battery recall? :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's apparently a class action suit against Hyundai over the Kona. It will be interesting to see what happens. I thought this short article was a worthwhile read, although there's nothing really ground breaking.
wow ..16 Fires of the Kona in 2 years ... so yeah this is clearly bigger than originally thought(for us Bolt owners as well)

Hyundai has recalled globally more than 74,000 Kona EVs, its top-selling electric car, after 16 of them caught fire in South Korea, Canada and Europe in two years.

Reading further :

Ford recently offered to replace the battery packs of its Kuga plug-in hybrid vehicle over fire risks, saying this could cost the carmaker $600 million in the second half, including a cost to meet Europe’s emissions regulations.

Umm, That may just be our best path to a new Battery... If Ford is installing new Batteries ... then GM needs to at least over the same..right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd assume that if it's a safety recall and your car visits a dealer, it will be done with no choice to the owner. GM want's to limit their liability exposure. Wouldn't you?
This is from the NHTSA website. A safety bulletin from GM to the dealerships. There’s other notices worth looking at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-2489.pdf

“In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this field action enters your vehicle inventory you must take the steps necessary to ensure the program interim correction has been made. In addition, for vehicles entering your facility for service, you are required to ensure the customer is aware of the open field action and make every reasonable effort to
implement the program interim correction as set forth in this bulletin prior to releasing the vehicle.”

“The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.”

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This is from the NHTSA website. A safety bulletin from GM to the dealerships. There’s other notices worth looking at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-2489.pdf
View attachment 31735

“In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this field action enters your vehicle inventory you must take the steps necessary to ensure the program interim correction has been made. In addition, for vehicles entering your facility for service, you are required to ensure the customer is aware of the open field action and make every reasonable effort to
implement the program interim correction as set forth in this bulletin prior to releasing the vehicle.”

“The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.”
The problem with the way this is worded is that there seems to be enough ambiguity in what constitutes a “repair.” They can just do the 10% nerfing and call it a day.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I guess From what I read on this if You are unhappy about the "castration" of Your battery pack the lack of force OTA updates is a silver lining out of the situation? I still charged mine to 100% the other day, 2 days later I am already down to 90% (it doesn't take that much driving or HVAC) to draw down the top 10%...

·
Registered
935 Posts
The problem with the way this is worded is that there seems to be enough ambiguity in what constitutes a “repair.” They can just do the 10% nerfing and call it a day.
If they leave it at the 10% nerfing there will be a large vociferous online group that will be all riled up. A lot of owners will claim it's the last GM product and Tesla here I come etc. If they turn around and offer some weak $500 coupon toward a new GM vehicle I don't think that will do much to satisfy anyone...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If they leave it at the 10% nerfing there will be a large vociferous online group that will be all riled up. A lot of owners will claim it's the last GM product and Tesla here I come etc. If they turn around and offer some weak $500 coupon toward a new GM vehicle I don't think that will do much to satisfy anyone...
Yep, count me in as one of those who’d be really riled up. I’ve been advocating for a new battery for the past several days now, but I know I’m preaching to the choir here. GM really has to step up.
Edit: I’d be sufficiently happy with some sort of a buyback program as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I guess From what I read on this if You are unhappy about the "castration" of Your battery pack the lack of force OTA updates is a silver lining out of the situation? I still charged mine to 100% the other day, 2 days later I am already down to 90% (it doesn't take that much driving or HVAC) to draw down the top 10%...
I am using about 175 miles a day right now...always need to charge at least once a day on the road (uber/lyt)...losing another 10% will really suck for people like us that use our vehicles everyday high miles

·
Registered
515 Posts
View attachment 31735
Translated:

1. Any recall-affected vehicle in dealer inventory must have the interim recall (90% charge limit) done and is also subject to a stop-sale until the final repair is made.

2. Any customer-owned recall-affected vehicle that is brought in for service or repair must have the interim recall done while there.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My car is one of the ones that burnt. I went through my insurance first and then contacted GM. GM said they could not help me because I contacted my insurance first.
hhh, sorry You were unlucky with it, out of curiosity do You have a juicebox charger?

·
Registered
214 Posts
User California posted this link over two years ago, and the irony now is sad but hilarious. Karma?

GM Offers Bolt EV To 'West Wing' Actress After Her Husband's Tesla Model S Burst Into Flames

·
Registered
5 Posts
Folks I went to the dealer to get the software update to address the recall and I am puzzled because a few, who also got the update, are reporting that Hilltop Reserve disappeared from their menu but I still have it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
who also got the update, are reporting that Hilltop Reserve disappeared from their menu but I still have it
Either they didn't do it or there are multiple versions/updates. No other explanation.

681 - 700 of 820 Posts