Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

701 - 720 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
213 Posts
HHH, I am curious about a few things:
-Did you precondition/remote start your car and were you still plugged in to your EVSE, prior to driving the 12 miles to your relatives?
-Do you recall the approximate state of charge prior to your last charge and how long the Bolt was plugged in prior to your departure to your relatives?
-Did you replace the Bolt yet, and if so, what vehicle did you buy?
MY 2019 CHEVY BOLT WAS FULLY CHARGED AND DRIVEN FOR 12 MILES TO OUR DESTINATION, A TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENT WITH PRIVATE OUTDOOR OPEN PARKING.
In reference to owning/using a e-motorwerks juicebox charger (just to give a reply alert to user).
I don’t. Why?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe one of the cars that burnt was charging on a Juicebox. I was wondering if there was a significant percentage of people charging on a juicebox when it caught on fire.
GM apparently sent two engineers to that particular fire. While they didn't come out and say that wasn't the problem, I guaran-****-tee you they would have loved to be able to point the finger at it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
GM apparently sent two engineers to that particular fire. While they didn't come out and say that wasn't the problem, I guaran-****-tee you they would have loved to be able to point the finger at it.
and yet in the case of @hhh they didn’t want anything to do with the investigation, passing the buck to insurance instead. SMDH.

·
Registered
213 Posts
yet in the case of @hhh they didn’t want anything to do with the investigation,
Should this matter ever find it's way into a courtroom, if that incident is proved to have happened exactly how it's been explained (which seems very likely), a jury or judge is going to have a hard time sympathizing with GM.

Reactions: GJETSON and MDBolt

·
Registered
193 Posts
My car is one of the ones that burnt. I went through my insurance first and then contacted GM. GM said they could not help me because I contacted my insurance first.
GM could send 100,000 lottery scratch-offs to Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck, just because she has a cool name. There is no law saying they can't help you.

When you're in an accident, and the other driver is clearly at fault, you can go directly to their insurance and ask their insurer to fix your car, pay your medical, etc. Or you can go to your own insurance, who will subrogate (sue the other driver's insurance on your behalf). GM is probably saying that they feel there is no need for them to help you, because you went to your insurance, who will sue GM for the value of the Bolt.

Also, just because you filed a claim does not mean you aren't going to sue GM separately for some loss your insurance didn't cover. GM may feel that if they send you a pallet of free lottery scratch-offs, that could be described in court as admission of guilt.

If you aren't satisfied with the settlement your insurer is offering you, then I'd suggest speaking with a lawyer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe one of the cars that burnt was charging on a Juicebox. I was wondering if there was a significant percentage of people charging on a juicebox when it caught on fire.
An EVSE closes a relay to send 240V power to the car. It's either on or off.
It also sends a pilot signal to the car telling it the max power it can draw from the house power.
And the Bolt can charge at 32A / 7.2kW max.

How on earth could a particular brand of EVSE affect the battery in the car?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
An EVSE closes a relay to send 240V power to the car. It's either on or off.
It also sends a pilot signal to the car telling it the max power it can draw from the house power.
And the Bolt can charge at 32A / 7.2kW max.

How on earth could a particular brand of EVSE affect the battery in the car?
The Ampera-E that caught on fire was using a public charger. It was L2 AC, which I suppose could be a factor (GM did, after all, key in on people who were charging to 100%), but you're right that the specific brand of EVSE shouldn't be a factor.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the Bolt EV and Kona Electric use the same onboard AC charger?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
@sundog Also, based on what @hhh posted here and is stated in the report, I personally believe that hhh had an uphill battle getting an investigation going.

• The incident occured on July 4th, as soon as anyone sees / hears the date the immediate assumption is fireworks/sparklers/matches/kids with lighters/etc

• The initial post seems to indicate that hhh approached the dealer regarding warranty, if I was the dealer and hhh came to me about a car fire under warranty, and then said that the Insurance was handling it, I would think that it was very unfortunate, but probably not a warranty issue anyway "Through the chaos, we contacted our insurance company and the dealership went with that instead of using the warranty."

• Prior to hhh's insistence that this was not caused by a vehicle accident, fireworks, etc, and was actually an issue with the vehicle, the presumption is that most vehicle fires are not a vehicle defect. It takes a few incidents to happen and someone to push for an investigation, as hhh did by filing the nhtsa complaint, for a pattern to start to emerge and a vehicle issue start to become a reasonable suspect.

Just glad that no one has been injured and that we now have a temporary recall patch in place while the root cause can be determined and a final resolution implemented.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
It seems to me that GM software-limiting the battery charge level is a pretty good indication that they don't believe the issue is with the charger.
I'm just looking for commonalities. Though the BMS is supposed to bleed away excess energy and shutdown the charger, I wonder whether it's possible that the onboard charger is continuing to feed energy into the battery when it shouldn't or is simply pushing too high of a voltage. That could also account for limiting the charge to 90%. At that point, the onboard charger couldn't push excessive voltage prior to shutting off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
seems to me that GM software-limiting the battery charge level is a pretty good indication that they don't believe the issue is with the charger.
While I believe based on facts and statements from GM, this is all a cell level issue, it's certainly far from case closed. Even though I personally think the charger is unlikely the culprit, I'm not sure a high SOC malfunction can be ruled out (from my 10,000ft view of course).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the Bolt EV and Kona Electric use the same onboard AC charger?
The power level is the same in the US, 7.2kW, but IIRC the formfactor was very different, not sure who supplies each, it could be LG, these guys had them at a show I attended, just searched my phone and I did not snap any pics of the Kona OBC, sory

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
While I believe based on facts and statements from GM, this is all a cell level issue, it's certainly far from case closed. Even though I personally think the charger is unlikely the culprit, I'm not sure a high SOC malfunction can be ruled out (from my 10,000ft view of course).
The power level is the same in the US, 7.2kW, but IIRC the formfactor was very different, not sure who supplies each, it could be LG, these guys had them at a show I attended, just searched my phone and I did not snap any pics of the Kona OBC, sory
Just continuing down this rabbit hole, I believe the U.S. assembled batteries (those exempted from the recall) would also coincide with GM's moving other onboard electronics manufacturing to Hazel Park, MI. Whether that includes the onboard charger, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HHH, I am curious about a few things:
-Did you precondition/remote start your car and were you still plugged in to your EVSE, prior to driving the 12 miles to your relatives?
-Do you recall the approximate state of charge prior to your last charge and how long the Bolt was plugged in prior to your departure to your relatives?
-Did you replace the Bolt yet, and if so, what vehicle did you buy?

In reference to owning/using a e-motorwerks juicebox charger (just to give a reply alert to user).
I don’t remember preconditioning or starting it remotely before going to my relatives house. I’m pretty sure I unplugged the car right before driving it and it was plugged in at least the whole day and very likely overnight. I don’t remember the state before that last charge. Haven’t replaced the Bolt yet. The poor guy (Bolt) is still sitting at the salvage yard :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don’t remember preconditioning or starting it remotely before going to my relatives house. I’m pretty sure I unplugged the car right before driving it and it was plugged in at least the whole day and very likely overnight. I don’t remember the state before that last charge. Haven’t replaced the Bolt yet. The poor guy (Bolt) is still sitting at the salvage yard :(
What a bummer. We leave our car plugged in our garage with a Mustart (up to) 40-amp charger whenever it's parked, on the assumption that the on-board charging system is designed to take care of keeping the high and low voltage batteries happy, well conditioned, and ready for use. Just recently, per the recall instructions, we reduced maximum charge to just under 90%. Your car could easily have been ours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
.... Haven’t replaced the Bolt yet. The poor guy (Bolt) is still sitting at the salvage yard :(
Say What???

From a July 4th fire?
GM hasn't come and taken it to a research facility?
Even if there isn't much forensic evidence to sift through, you'd think they'd want it out of public view...

Can you get some sad pictures to post here?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Shame, GM, shame...
I remember way back I believe it was 2017 someone on Youtube had a severe lemon Bolt and had to air out the grievances on Youtube because GM was basically ignoring him. I can't seem to find the video anymore but I do remember seeing that AFTER the video was made the customer was taken care of and got a New Replacement vehicle (another Bolt).

701 - 720 of 818 Posts