Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Won't Fund CCS Fast-Charging Sites For 2017 Chevy Bolt EV

From CEO Mary Barra: "We are not actively working on providing infrastructure [for the Bolt EV]."

From electrification exec Pam Fletcher: "We believe all our customers should benefit from any infrastructure spending."
What do you think of this stance? Will this harm sales of the Bolt? Does it affect your purchase intentions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
GM Won't Fund CCS Fast-Charging Sites For 2017 Chevy Bolt EV

What do you think of this stance? Will this harm sales of the Bolt? Does it affect your purchase intentions?
Quite frankly I don't view that as detrimental one bit. In fact I think GM is being quite brilliant here.

See the Germans, VW/Audi in particular have one kinghell of a job to do rehabilitating their image, and most importantly meeting emissions targets. Now diesel was a large part of them meeting those targets, with diesel demonized we have seen them swap to an EV rhetoric rather swiftly.

So where I think GM's brilliance lay is in allowing the Germans, who have realistically been backed into a corner, spend their way out by funding CCS networks.

Bolt owners will reap the benefits regardless.

So GM doesn't need to take the lead, they know that politically they have rivals who have been forced into that role. Brilliant IMO...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think their attitude is short-sighted -- as the market continues to pivot to EVs, more and more GM customers will find benefit in such a charging network.

Maybe they're really waiting to see how the market receives the Bolt before making any public commitments. If the Bolt sells well, then hopefully GM will change their stance on a fast-charging network.

Or maybe they're counting on the idea that another manufacturer will build out such a network first, and then because the Bolt uses SAE Combo, GM figures Bolt owners can use the competing networks?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Still going for a Bolt even if GM doesn't fund the charging infrastructure expansion. We'll still have the infrastructure funded by Audi, BMW, Nissan, and Volkswagen. Most of the charging is going to happen at home anyways unless the Bolt is taken on a road trip.

I could see this blowing up in GM's face if the other companies decides to make the chargers model specific so only their cars can make use of the chargers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think their attitude is short-sighted -- as the market continues to pivot to EVs, more and more GM customers will find benefit in such a charging network.

Maybe they're really waiting to see how the market receives the Bolt before making any public commitments. If the Bolt sells well, then hopefully GM will change their stance on a fast-charging network.

Or maybe they're counting on the idea that another manufacturer will build out such a network first, and then because the Bolt uses SAE Combo, GM figures Bolt owners can use the competing networks?
As I wrote above you, I think GM is sitting back and allowing VW/Audi to take the reins here. THey've been backed into a corner politically and that is forcing them to take the lead in order to rehbilitate their image and meet increasing emissions targets.

I think GM is brilliant (if that is in fact how they're approaching this)

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I end up getting a Bolt, I plan on buying a portable NEMA 14-50 charger [EVSE] (probably the EVWerks JuiceBox) so I can charge at RV parks. That opens up a whole lot more possibilities than limiting yourself to public Level 2 or CCS charging stations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts