Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
Please see my later correction these numbers are wrong!

Interesting, I looked at the same data and came to slightly different conclusions. I assumed that the percentage of removed and unreachable units would remain consistent for the remaining recalls. I also combined the two recalls before tabulating the results. Here is what I had been about to publish, which is a bit more optimistic. The rate of replacement for the first quarter is significantly higher than the last quarter so that may explain the difference.

The first quarter reports have been published and it does look like Jaryd was correct, the replacements look to be completed this year. According to the reports, at this point of the 109,828 Bolts recalled in the United States, 36,525 have been resolved either by replacement, removal, or are unreachable. It also shows that on average over 461 were being resolved per working day during the first quarter. That suggests it will take 159 working days to resolve the remaining 73,303 Bolts. That would have this recall completed around 21 November 2022. As for when specific Bolts will be completed, these reports cannot tell, but they do show that out of 57,414 2017-2019 Bolts, 35,823 have been resolved. Out of 52,514 2020-2022 Bolts and Bolt EUVs, 702 have been resolved. Apparently, there are some later model Bolts that GM has determined are at higher risk than earlier Bolts.

· Registered
2018 Bolt Premier
928 Posts
Executive company cars are provided by the company free as a perk. They can be moved between executives easily, almost like rental car!
Not free, I was with GM for 25 years and not free.
The only person who got a free one was Wendel Clark and was for PR for a Toronto dealer I worked for.

· Registered
2020 Premier
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
do show that out of 57,414 2017-2019 Bolts, 35,823 have been resolved.
Are you assuming that the total remedied column is per quarter? Based on this report from the original 2017-2019 software only recall I think those numbers are cumulative (and you have to subtract to get the quarterly numbers):

Edit: Removed the picture of the 2017-2019 software only recall report which was used only as an example of the totals being cumulative - it was causing too much confusion and isn't needed anymore.

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,345 Posts
Don't forget that there's always a small percentage of people that never get their vehicle in for recall service.

· Registered
709 Posts
Are you assuming that the total remedied column is per quarter? Based on this report from the original 2017-2019 software only recall I think those numbers are cumulative (and you have to subtract to get the quarterly numbers):

View attachment 42212
Crap. I screwed up. Yes, I was thinking they meant that many were corrected in that quarter, not a running total. I am going to redo my math, but it will almost certainly match yours.

· Registered
709 Posts
Crap. I screwed up. Yes, I was thinking they meant that many were corrected in that quarter, not a running total. I am going to redo my math, but it will almost certainly match yours.
Yeah.. Those of us who thought the interim software was a good idea will likely be capped at 80% for a year, or longer. 🤦

· Registered
709 Posts
25% complete as of 2022-Q1.

At the 2022-Q1 rate of replacement this will take until April 2023.
Yes, the corrected math comes out that they still have 81,686 are left to complete, and they are resolving about 324 per working day, so 252 days to finish. That puts the end at about 7 April 2023. If the ratio of 2017-2019 to 2020-2022s stays the same, (it won’t) it suggests the 2017-2019s could be completed by 23 August 2022. It also suggests that on average each dealer is completing one about every 5 days. We know some dealers are much more productive than that, and at least one who is reportedly doing just one a month. I suspect some are yet to do any. Depressing.

· Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,568 Posts
They have started Bolt EV/EUV production back up as well...wonder how that will affect replacements? Enouhgh batteries to go around ?

Anyway..overall , impressed . Once GM got going the replacements are coming fast.

I'll say it again, I think the biggest "plus" in all of this for GM is that know how the most trained (level 1) EV techs in the Industry ..

You can now take your Bolt or Lyriq or other up coming GM EVs Silverado , Equinoc, Blazer etc.. to just about any large Chevy dealership knowing they will have the equipment and mechanic/tech that at least has core knowledge of how to work on them .. The high voltage lines, the coolant lines etc..

Thats very valuable asset ...

· Registered
1,103 Posts

View attachment 42212
If I understand your chart, it would say they only did 1,063 units from the Oct 21,2021 to Jan 20, 2022 report. I wonder what happened.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts