·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premier
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If I understand your chart, it would say they only did 1,063 units from the Oct 21,2021 to Jan 20, 2022 report. I wonder what happened.
That was just an example to show that the total remedied numbers are cumulative not per quarter - the replacement numbers are in the first post. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
AdrianC, I took the data from the links you gave me and generated the chart below. They have done a lot of buybacks that I believe are still included in the population. So if they keep the Q1 rate it will take a little over 1 1/2 years to finish the replacements,
Model YearModel YearTotalNew
2017-20192020-2022
October 19, 2021​
- - -
January 19, 2021​
8,272 40 8,312 8,312
April 22, 2022​
26,925 661 27,586 19,274
Total to Replace 57,414 52,414 109,828
Removed 412 1 413
Net To Replace 57,002 52,413 109,415
Quarters at the Q1 rate
5.7​

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I understand your chart, it would say they only did 1,063 units from the Oct 21,2021 to Jan 20, 2022 report. I wonder what happened.
That seems to be a chart of the original software installs on the 2017-2019s, notice the smaller recall population. I think it was one of the software only fixes that didn't work out. It would have been rapidly superseded by additional software installs.

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
1,841 Posts
25% complete as of 2022-Q1.

At the 2022-Q1 rate of replacement this will take until April 2023.
We don't know if the rate was constant throughout the entire quarter. It may have been a steadily increasing rate. So the rate at the start of Q2, may be higher than the rate at the start of Q1. All we can discern with the Q1 total, is the average rate per unit of time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah.. Those of us who thought the interim software was a good idea will likely be capped at 80% for a year, or longer. 🤦
Yes, but the stupid thing for me was until my Bolt was recalled I had it set to charge to 85%. I was just fine with limiting things on my terms, but it is a major problem when the limit is imposed by someone else. Aren't humans wonderful? Sometimes we need to just laugh at ourselves. If my Bolt was fixed tomorrow would my usage change? No. Would I switch back to charging to 100%? No, at least not on a daily basis. Would I suddenly be taking it on road trips? No. I don't actually do road trips. Do I actually need the longer range? No, but I did pay for it and that is a problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We don't know if the rate was constant throughout the entire quarter. It may have been a steadily increasing rate. So the rate at the start of Q2, may be higher than the rate at the start of Q1. All we can discern with the Q1 total, is the average rate per unit of time.
Sure. All we know is the total.
Now we wait for the Q2 report :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think there are a lot of 2020+ drivers like @CHASBOLT. There is a lot more incentive for 2017-2019 owners because of 1) greater risk (although unclear how much), 2) existing batteries for those years have likely degraded more under normal use, and 3) greater capacity than when new.

Although the pace of replacements extends to April 2023 as someone mentioned, I think all owners who want one will be able to schedule a replacement by end of 2022.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Replacement battery production had just begun and they had not ramped up production yet, now they are making them faster than the dealers are installing/requesting them so they have surplus to install in new cars.
Remember many average people are not keeping up with this recall and are clueless to when their car comes up for replacement. They are waiting for notification through snail mail. Then they will likely put it off till it’s convenient to them or like most people do with recall letters, wait for the third or fourth one before having it done.
Also some dealers are actually telling people they can only order one battery at a time, which is false, and also they may be short on techs to work on cars, their EV Techs may have to also work on other cars so the dealer only allows them to schedule one or two days a week or a month for battery replacements. JMHO.

·
Administrator
4,916 Posts
Also some dealers are actually telling people they can only order one battery at a time, which is false
I wonder if dealers have to pay a core charge for each one? If so, the bean counters may be putting the brakes on ordering more than one at a time for cash flow reasons.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wonder if dealers have to pay a core charge for each one? If so, the bean counters may be putting the brakes on ordering more than one at a time for cash flow reasons.
I think I read one time that they had a set amount if time to return the old packs before getting charged. Other than that I don’t think they pay anything.

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in a small area. We have access to to GM dealers. When I stopped in the other day to see about ordering one over waiting for the battery to be replaced in the one I have had a deposit on for quite a while. They gave me some neat information. All the cars in my area that are used. Have already had the batteries replaced. So this dealer has 6 new ones waiting for batteries. And the other dealer has 4. So progress wise in our area has been really good. As for my question on ordering one instead of waiting on the battery on the one I have a deposit on. They can not order me one as they have to sell the ones on the lot before they can order more. But yet, still have factory shipped ones showing as in transit with new batteries in them. Good, Bad, Meh. So new deliveries will be on the road before 75% of the vehicles are even fixed. :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
21 - 40 of 65 Posts