Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I think there are a lot of 2020+ drivers like @CHASBOLT. There is a lot more incentive for 2017-2019 owners because of 1) greater risk (although unclear how much), 2) existing batteries for those years have likely degraded more under normal use, and 3) greater capacity than when new.
4) due to greater cell voltage differences across cells in the 2017-2019 batteries, those batteries more often had lower capacity than nominal when new, even before any capacity loss due to use or age.

Also, the risk of fire difference for different lots of batteries was also considerable. From publicly known fires, it looks like about 1 in 300 or so of the 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries with build dates in October 2018 have burned already. Hence there are certain very high risk lots of batteries that GM presumably wanted to get replaced as soon as possible. On the other hand, the defects and risk of fire for 2020-2022 appears much lower.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please see my later correction these numbers are wrong!

Interesting, I looked at the same data and came to slightly different conclusions. I assumed that the percentage of removed and unreachable units would remain consistent for the remaining recalls. I also combined the two recalls before tabulating the results. Here is what I had been about to publish, which is a bit more optimistic. The rate of replacement for the first quarter is significantly higher than the last quarter so that may explain the difference.

The first quarter reports have been published and it does look like Jaryd was correct, the replacements look to be completed this year. According to the reports, at this point of the 109,828 Bolts recalled in the United States, 36,525 have been resolved either by replacement, removal, or are unreachable. It also shows that on average over 461 were being resolved per working day during the first quarter. That suggests it will take 159 working days to resolve the remaining 73,303 Bolts. That would have this recall completed around 21 November 2022. As for when specific Bolts will be completed, these reports cannot tell, but they do show that out of 57,414 2017-2019 Bolts, 35,823 have been resolved. Out of 52,514 2020-2022 Bolts and Bolt EUVs, 702 have been resolved. Apparently, there are some later model Bolts that GM has determined are at higher risk than earlier Bolts.
How did they determine some later model Bolts are higher risk?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,996 Posts
How did they determine some later model Bolts are higher risk?
Probably the last software package actually did the trick. I hate the 80% charge limit, but at least there's no limitation on indoor parking and charging, which was the only reason I let them patch it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm an average person. How do I find out when my car comes up for replacement?
Go here and enter your VIN number, If it still says remedy not available you are not eligible for battery replacement. If it does not say that you should be able to contact your preferred dealer and request they order your battery.
You can also use your my chevrolet app and check on your recall status.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,996 Posts
I'm an average person. How do I find out when my car comes up for replacement?
If you’re not currently eligible for the replacement, there’s no way to find out when you will be. Rumor has it that GM has started on the 2020-22 models, but no current owner has reported they have it. Unless I’ve missed a report

·
Registered
32 Posts
Concierge manager said they have a push on to finish all 2017 - 2019 models at this point. So figuring that. Probably another 3 months or so to get to the 2020-2022 used and dealer new ones. Except for buyback ones/swap to get them in a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Concierge manager said they have a push on to finish all 2017 - 2019 models at this point. So figuring that. Probably another 3 months or so to get to the 2020-2022 used and dealer new ones. Except for buyback ones/swap to get them in a new one.
For my 2020, we got a notice to have dealer order battery, which was done two weeks ago. Got word to expect delivery next week. Dealer is ready to install upon receipt.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
For my 2020, we got a notice to have dealer order battery, which was done two weeks ago. Got word to expect delivery next week. Dealer is ready to install upon receipt.
You are at least the 3rd owner to report a new battery available for a 2020 in the last couple of days. Could you post your build date please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are at least the 3rd owner to report a new battery available for a 2020 in the last couple of days. Could you post your build date please?
Sticker shows a 7/2020 build date. Car was moved to "not complete" two weeks ago with recall number ending in "1"; dealer ordered battery on September 12. As of now, battery not yet received.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,874 Posts
I'm one of those 3. If it helps, a couple of possibly relevant pieces of information: build date is 11/2020, purchased in 3/2021, I contacted the concierge on 9/2021, and I had the 80% update installed 12/2021.

I don't know if you'll be able to establish any patterns from 3 cases, but it might be worthwhile to track as more 2020+ Bolts change their recall status.

Edit: I contacted the concierge to establish status / timeline for any future actions / class actions. I wasn't pursuing a repurchase or swap. I considered going for a rental with gas, because that would be essentially free driving, but decided I enjoyed driving the Bolt too much to give it up. ;)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I'm one of those 3 . . .
Yes, you, I, and @Bolt Action all have build dates of 11/20. I purchased mine 5/21. It is interesting to note that you and @Bolt Action both spoke with the concierge. I also remember that @ARob spoke with the concierge shortly before his 2018 became eligible for battery replacement. It seems that none of you were demanding action from GM, just seeking information/clarity, although @Bolt Action did temporarily pursue a buyback or trade/repurchase. But @evtinker with a 1/2020 build date did pursue a trade/repurchase and has not received a new battery.

So, like you say, probably not very meaningful to come to conclusions based on so few cases. Still mulling the idea of a concierge chat though. :unsure:

·
Administrator
4,916 Posts
Yes, you, I, and @Bolt Action all have build dates of 11/20. I purchased mine 5/21. It is interesting to note that you and @Bolt Action both spoke with the concierge. I also remember that @ARob spoke with the concierge shortly before his 2018 became eligible for battery replacement. It seems that none of you were demanding action from GM, just seeking information/clarity, although @Bolt Action did temporarily pursue a buyback or trade/repurchase. But @evtinker with a 1/2020 build date did pursue a trade/repurchase and has not received a new battery.

So, like you say, probably not very meaningful to come to conclusions based on so few cases. Still mulling the idea of a concierge chat though. :unsure:
Right, I gave them a story about preparing for a 7K coast to coast trip, and meeting @ElderGeek and how it would be so much easier to do with a new pack. Their response: I can't do anything about it to bump up your priority, but would advise not getting the 80% limit patch. 3 weeks later, my VIN came up in the lottery and I got the new pack two weeks before the trip.

Did my call make a difference? Probably not, but it sure makes you wonder.

That said, it seems more 2020 owners are getting the new packs again. My guess is, the unsold GM and dealer inventory is nearly done with replacements, the repurchased Bolts are probably also nearing completion. So I would expect an increase in owned Bolts getting the new packs for the rest of the year and into next.

·
Administrator
4,916 Posts
I see in the Bolt Recall Tracker that 4 more 2020 Bolts (3 dealer, 1 customer) became eligible today.
The next quarterly report will likely appear in about 1 month, capturing stats from July 1 to September 30.

I gather the recall tracker above is based on manual entries by forum members. As we are less than ~10% of the total active owners in the fleet, it is a small snapshot of the bigger picture.

Anecdotally, it does seem as though more 2020 owners are getting the updated status lately. I suspect dealer and GM inventory is nearing completion.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts