Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

GM report of battery replacement progress to NHTSA Q12022

Tags
recall
13K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  alexroys 
#1 ·
I just posted this info on reddit:

#3 · (Edited)
Please see my later correction these numbers are wrong!

Interesting, I looked at the same data and came to slightly different conclusions. I assumed that the percentage of removed and unreachable units would remain consistent for the remaining recalls. I also combined the two recalls before tabulating the results. Here is what I had been about to publish, which is a bit more optimistic. The rate of replacement for the first quarter is significantly higher than the last quarter so that may explain the difference.

The first quarter reports have been published and it does look like Jaryd was correct, the replacements look to be completed this year. According to the reports, at this point of the 109,828 Bolts recalled in the United States, 36,525 have been resolved either by replacement, removal, or are unreachable. It also shows that on average over 461 were being resolved per working day during the first quarter. That suggests it will take 159 working days to resolve the remaining 73,303 Bolts. That would have this recall completed around 21 November 2022. As for when specific Bolts will be completed, these reports cannot tell, but they do show that out of 57,414 2017-2019 Bolts, 35,823 have been resolved. Out of 52,514 2020-2022 Bolts and Bolt EUVs, 702 have been resolved. Apparently, there are some later model Bolts that GM has determined are at higher risk than earlier Bolts.

#12 ·
Don't forget that there's always a small percentage of people that never get their vehicle in for recall service.

#16 ·
Yes, the corrected math comes out that they still have 81,686 are left to complete, and they are resolving about 324 per working day, so 252 days to finish. That puts the end at about 7 April 2023. If the ratio of 2017-2019 to 2020-2022s stays the same, (it won’t) it suggests the 2017-2019s could be completed by 23 August 2022. It also suggests that on average each dealer is completing one about every 5 days. We know some dealers are much more productive than that, and at least one who is reportedly doing just one a month. I suspect some are yet to do any. Depressing.

#17 · (Edited)
They have started Bolt EV/EUV production back up as well...wonder how that will affect replacements? Enouhgh batteries to go around ?

Anyway..overall , impressed . Once GM got going the replacements are coming fast.

I'll say it again, I think the biggest "plus" in all of this for GM is that know how the most trained (level 1) EV techs in the Industry ..

You can now take your Bolt or Lyriq or other up coming GM EVs Silverado , Equinoc, Blazer etc.. to just about any large Chevy dealership knowing they will have the equipment and mechanic/tech that at least has core knowledge of how to work on them .. The high voltage lines, the coolant lines etc..

Thats very valuable asset ...

#23 ·
AdrianC, I took the data from the links you gave me and generated the chart below. They have done a lot of buybacks that I believe are still included in the population. So if they keep the Q1 rate it will take a little over 1 1/2 years to finish the replacements,
Model YearModel YearTotalNew
2017-20192020-2022
October 19, 2021​
- - -
January 19, 2021​
8,272 40 8,312 8,312
April 22, 2022​
26,925 661 27,586 19,274
Total to Replace 57,414 52,414 109,828
Removed 412 1 413
Net To Replace 57,002 52,413 109,415
Quarters at the Q1 rate
5.7​

#31 ·
I think there are a lot of 2020+ drivers like @CHASBOLT. There is a lot more incentive for 2017-2019 owners because of 1) greater risk (although unclear how much), 2) existing batteries for those years have likely degraded more under normal use, and 3) greater capacity than when new.

Although the pace of replacements extends to April 2023 as someone mentioned, I think all owners who want one will be able to schedule a replacement by end of 2022.

#41 ·
I think there are a lot of 2020+ drivers like @CHASBOLT. There is a lot more incentive for 2017-2019 owners because of 1) greater risk (although unclear how much), 2) existing batteries for those years have likely degraded more under normal use, and 3) greater capacity than when new.
4) due to greater cell voltage differences across cells in the 2017-2019 batteries, those batteries more often had lower capacity than nominal when new, even before any capacity loss due to use or age.

Also, the risk of fire difference for different lots of batteries was also considerable. From publicly known fires, it looks like about 1 in 300 or so of the 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries with build dates in October 2018 have burned already. Hence there are certain very high risk lots of batteries that GM presumably wanted to get replaced as soon as possible. On the other hand, the defects and risk of fire for 2020-2022 appears much lower.

#39 ·
I live in a small area. We have access to to GM dealers. When I stopped in the other day to see about ordering one over waiting for the battery to be replaced in the one I have had a deposit on for quite a while. They gave me some neat information. All the cars in my area that are used. Have already had the batteries replaced. So this dealer has 6 new ones waiting for batteries. And the other dealer has 4. So progress wise in our area has been really good. As for my question on ordering one instead of waiting on the battery on the one I have a deposit on. They can not order me one as they have to sell the ones on the lot before they can order more. But yet, still have factory shipped ones showing as in transit with new batteries in them. Good, Bad, Meh. So new deliveries will be on the road before 75% of the vehicles are even fixed. :(

#60 ·
The next quarterly report will likely appear in about 1 month, capturing stats from July 1 to September 30.

I gather the recall tracker above is based on manual entries by forum members. As we are less than ~10% of the total active owners in the fleet, it is a small snapshot of the bigger picture.

Anecdotally, it does seem as though more 2020 owners are getting the updated status lately. I suspect dealer and GM inventory is nearing completion.

#64 ·
I looked at Donahoo's site a few months ago and they had 30+ Bolts waiting for batteries. Apparently they are working through the backlog.

#65 ·
Replacement battery received by dealer late yesterday afternoon (9/27), right at three weeks from date of dealer ordering battery. It would seem like GM is at last getting its act together, at least for those of us who might have become "squeaky wheels". Dealer (Ginn Chevrolet, Covington, GA) made a personal visit to me to explain the replacement process and to get my input on how to cause the least inconvenience to me during the installation. Very impressed by dealer handling up to now. We will likely do the install early next week at my convenience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.