Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend reports that GM's mystery car will be "a future crossover with no predecessor." GM announced that it will invest $245-million into its Orion Assembly Plant and that it will bring "a new vehicle program" that the plant hasn't seen before.

The new crossover will likely wear a XT3 or perhaps an XT1 badge. The new crossover would get the Bolt's powertrain, following a similar pattern to what GM did with the Volt and the ELR. That crossover would be aimed squarely at the upcoming Tesla Model X.

This new model will likely head to production in 2017 and arrive as a 2018 model.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/06/cadillac-compact-crossover-is-gm-s-mystery-model.html

·
Registered
639 Posts
I knew it!
Always had the feeling it would be a crossover since that is the next ideal step for the EV market, they already have 2 smaller core models covered.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No thats not logical. They wont call their EV CUV XT1, thats for mainstream stuff. The Bolt Cadillac will be its own thing IMO. I heard its going to be the Cadillac Trax...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No thats not logical. They wont call their EV CUV XT1, thats for mainstream stuff. The Bolt Cadillac will be its own thing IMO. I heard its going to be the Cadillac Trax...
I don't see that being a big seller. I just think if they were to build something that looked like a Cadillac Trax, I don't think that it would look that great. I think that many people would perhaps choose the Acura RDX instead.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't see that being a big seller. I just think if they were to build something that looked like a Cadillac Trax, I don't think that it would look that great. I think that many people would perhaps choose the Acura RDX instead.
Apparenlty there's a smaller Acura SUV coming out, something more along the lines of a Trax sized vehicle, so that might be more it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what people want right now. Mercedes GLA, BMW X1, Audi Q3. Those three are lighting the luxury segment on fire, for Cadillac to be missing when even Lincoln has a great little product on the market already is downright embarrassing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what people want right now. Mercedes GLA, BMW X1, Audi Q3. Those three are lighting the luxury segment on fire, for Cadillac to be missing when even Lincoln has a great little product on the market already is downright embarrassing.
Um, I don't think I have a "fundamental misunderstanding" of what people want, thank you.

I agree that all those vehicles are popular, I just think that Cadillac would do better with something in that segment that looks different from simply a Cadillac Trax. I don't think a Trax based CUV would be as attractive as the other vehicles that you listed in your post.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Um, I don't think I have a "fundamental misunderstanding" of what people want, thank you.

I agree that all those vehicles are popular, I just think that Cadillac would do better with something in that segment that looks different from simply a Cadillac Trax. I don't think a Trax based CUV would be as attractive as the other vehicles that you listed in your post.
You do if you think that Cadillac should build a low volume EV crossover hot on the heels of the ELR debacle when right now all anyone wants to buy are diminutive CUV's.

Have you seen what Cadillac might do with the Trax platform already? The other potential is XT3 based on the Alpha ATS platform which would be RWD and another first for Orion ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We will see what they do with the Trax platform I guess. All I am saying is that I don't find the shape of the Trax and Buick that appealing for a brand like Cadillac. Id' be interested to see what they do with the platform though.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Whatever it is I do hope for a voltec (ELR like) or new Malibu-like strong hybrid (with a volt like transmission) powertrain as an option.
The latter will serve them better for now and the long term. People are not rushing to buy EV's, and while they're not doing that... hybrids is where its at right now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The latter will serve them better for now and the long term. People are not rushing to buy EV's, and while they're not doing that... hybrids is where its at right now.
hybrids YES. You somewhat reduce your fuel inputs (but also pay a premium for the tech so at times its a wash, depends on the delta) and get rid of range and recharge angst...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny - given that consistently BEVs have been outselling PHEVs recently ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts