Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

GM stock Bolt charger?

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  GregBrew 
#1 ·
How long is the power cable that comes with the Bolt? I'm trying to plan ahead regarding my current 110v outlet in the garage. If the cord won't reach it will prompt me to do a bit of 220v work before I take delivery of a Bolt. My plan is to 'wait and see' if I can get away with using what comes with the car since I usually drive less than 10mi/day.

#6 ·
First, had the advantage in remembering the topic. Second, someone on this forum taught us how to search using google instead of the forum's built in search. In google used the following: 'length site:chevybolt.org' (without the quotes). Google does a nice job searching this forum.

#4 ·
Note that the EVSE that comes with the Bolt can be used on a 220 volt outlet if equipped with an aftermarket socket adapter.

That will provide a much faster charge rate than the 110 volt outlet without the expense of installing a separate EVSE.

You can make an adapter yourself, or buy one online.

Here’s one offer on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/chevy-volt-chevy-bolt-ev-level-2-charge

I have a hard-wired Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE, so I’ve never used the standard cord that comes with the Bolt, but there have been many posts on this forum on using the standard cord on 220 with an adapter as a more cost effective option.

Maximum amp draw with the standard cord is 12 amps, so you won’t get the charge speed of a 32 amp EVSE.

I believe the charge speed using this setup is about 3 kilowatts per hour, about 3x what the 110v line will deliver.

#8 ·
Note that the EVSE that comes with the Bolt can be used on a 220 volt outlet if equipped with an aftermarket socket adapter.
Right, I've saved a number of comments on this for future use. My thoughts at the moment are that I have a low mileage lifestyle (25-50 mi per week) and the included adapter will probably be suitable. I don't have 'low rate metering' or whatever it is called so don't need to worry about a schedule.

Ultimately I will most likely do 220. I don't have the space in my panel so it will require some half height breakers and some juggling to make sure I keep the load evenly split between the 2 legs of the box. Probably have to move 2 or 3 breakers to accomplish that, not difficult but I'd rather wait until I am comfortable with the vehicle. I have a spare 30A breaker laying around but from what I read here I really need to make it a 40. I'd rather wait until I get settled into the vehicle operation before I move to 220 unless I find that the 110 is just to 'painfully slow' to deal with. It seems that I will obviously benefit from investing in one of those adapter plugs for Tesla charge stations but that is also something else I will put off until later as I don't need to 'take a trip'. There are a lot of Tesla stations in the area that I may travel to in the future. Haven't checked yet to see if they are the one's that are compatible with the Bolt. That is for another day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.